Request opinions on the Ramirez Estudio Model I

dta721

Request opinions on the Ramirez Estudio Model I

Post by dta721 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:40 pm

As described from the 12 fret, The Ramirez RA model offers a performance grade instrument in a low priced format with a sophisticated bracing pattern based on the Ramirez 130th Anniversary model. It is part of the Estudio R series originally produced by Jose Ramirez IV in 1991 and redesigned by Amalia Ramirez in 2014. Laminated Rosewood with a dense African mahogany core for the back and sides, an ebony fretboard and solid rosewood bridge.

If you own this model, how would you describe its voice? How do find its playability?

This Boxing Day I'll try it out to see how I like it, would go for the Spruce top for something different, would want to hear from owers of the 130th Anniversary model too!

Thanks!

Philosopherguy

Re: Request opinions on the Ramirez Estudio Model I

Post by Philosopherguy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:04 pm

I love my Ramirez 130 Anos. A very nice guitar. I have the spruce top version and it complements my Cedar 4NE quite well. I find it has a typical Ramirez like tone and plays nice. It has very "bell like" trebles and a nice growl in the bass. The 130Anos isn't quite as deep and resonant in the bass as the 4NE with its cedar top, but it has that little snarl that is typical of a good Spanish guitar.

The model you are looking at is laminated, versus the solid back and sides of the 130. I haven't tried one yet to see if this makes a difference. I would doubt that there are too many differences, other than that the 130 had bone saddle and nut and some of the little finishing touches that went into the 130. I think some of their lower models might use some sort of plastic saddle and nut.

Have you thought of trying the Guitarra Del Tiempo? That is the new version of the 130 Anos. I'm not sure of what the price jump is these days. Back when I got my 130Anos, the price was quite reasonable.

Good luck!
Martin

p.s. I see from the weather that Ottawa is due to be very cold soon! Remember to humidify! hahaha.. I'm thinking of moving to Ottawa soon.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks Martin for your advice! I consider myself not ready for the 130 Años, not sure when either! Your 130 Años price would likely be double that of the Estudio I with Boxing Day price, thus the motivation :) !

It would be cool if you move to Ottawa, as then I can learn a thing or two from you :wink: ! Appreciate the humidity tip, although it shows in my home about 50% RH currently, proper storage in a case with a humidifier is a good idea!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:04 am

dta721 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:12 pm
Thanks Martin for your advice! I consider myself not ready for the 130 Años, not sure when either! Your 130 Años price would likely be double that of the Estudio I with Boxing Day price, thus the motivation :) !

It would be cool if you move to Ottawa, as then I can learn a thing or two from you :wink: ! Appreciate the humidity tip, although it shows in my home about 50% RH currently, proper storage in a case with a humidifier is a good idea!
Did you get it? If so what was the price?

JRomano

Post by JRomano » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:58 am

I had a spruce top Ramirez 120 anos-very similar to the 130-, and loved it very much. It was bright and clear and projected amazingly well. That was one of the guitars that passed through my hands that I wish I had held onto. And, it was beautiful to look at as well. Lovely rosette, nice woods. I think you couldn't go wrong with one of these.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:45 pm

I was at the pro-shop on Dec 27 to try out a few in the new/used classical guitar and went back with one :) -if you read my recent posts, you'd know which one :wink:

I was looking at the Sakurai No. 5 in early December. They can ship it to me (5-hr drive from Toronto) and I have 48 hrs to return. However, I'd not want to buy a guitar without trying it out first, and that I'll spend some time after X-mas in Toronto anyway. So, the arrangement is that I need to pay for it first to put it on Hold, when at the shop I can return for a full refund. This is a better idea when later I was advised by a good member in this forum to try out as many other as I can while at the shop.

Thus, the No. 5 was the first to try, if I need to return it on the spot. Not sure if it is love at first sight, but I like its sound right away (at the time with old strings, still good in a small, closed room). Then, I reached out to the advertised RA Estudio Model I (or 1?), both spruce and cedar, I thought I like the sound of the cedar better, but it was hard to say if I like their sound over the first one try. Then, I kept on trying a few other more expensive than my budget and/or exceeding my skills level. Yes I tried the Alhambra 7P, prefer the No. 5, also the 130 Anos, 4NE, they all sound good, the 4NE seemed to have boost in the midrange, but definitely louder. My bro-in law who owns a RA R4 was with me for this fun trip from Vaughan, and was listening in. In the end, he concurred that not just the budget (of the No. 5), but its sound is really something to keep, or I can't go wrong with it. It is in the near mint condition with signs of slight finger nails scratches on the sound board, but not deep to show on a photo. But apparently the best part is that it was well played, which would explain its balanced sound, good separation and clarity.

Later when I asked Grant, the owner, repairer since 1977 at the shop, he explained if I was not sold by the sound of new and more expensive guitars, most likely because they need to be played a lot for the sound board to open up. He mentioned some kind of devices he put on the guitar strings to keep them vibrate, presumably to break in new guitars (?).

So, to Laudiesdad69, I did not part with the RA Estudio Model I (strangely they won't ship these to the US due to their contract with Ramirez, price after Boxing week went back up to CAD 1599), rather the one I pre-purchased.

Thanks to all replies! As the year is very new, Have a wonderful happy playing guitar New Year!
:guitare:

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”