Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

CarolB
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by CarolB » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Beginner player coming from playing a steel string, but don’t want a beginner guitar with bad intonation. What’s your recommendation in the $1,000 range for a new or used classical? If new, I was contemplating a Cordoba C10. Other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Carol

User avatar
andreas777
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by andreas777 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:31 pm

The first thing to do is to browse this "advice on buying...a guitar" section and read the recommendations in other threads. You will most likely find the same brands and models in your thread soon ;-)
You can also find many discussions in this forum about buying 'new' or 'used'. Imho 'new" is better if you have no experiences with classical guitars and you want to avoid risks, 'used' is better if you have experiences and because you can get more quality for your money. This is a decision everyone must make on its own. Important is that the size fits to your fingers/hands. If you want to continue playing steel string guitars, then it could make sense not to take a guitar with an extra wide fretboard 8) . The next question would be 'spruce' or 'cedar', something you must try out.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

User avatar
bear
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by bear » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Main recommendation; 650mm scale 52 mm nut.

I've never purchased a "new"cg except for the one that I had built. I've owned about 20 of them.
Cordoba, Rodriquez, Yamaha or Ramirez "E" or "NE" appear to be the most popular.

I would and have stayed away from crossovers.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

MrF1
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 11:34 pm
Location: Abita Springs, Louisiana

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by MrF1 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:46 pm

Great spec recommendations from Bear ^^^^. I recommend checking out a Navarro Student classical or flamenco. Ron Hudson at Memorial Music in Houston.

User avatar
Thura2017
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:47 am

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by Thura2017 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:45 am

My recommendation for the new one would be Yamaha GC22s and used one would be Manuel Adalid model 12 if you could stretch your budget.
Yamaha CG151c
Yamaha CG171s
Yamaha CG180sca
Yamaha CG192s
Yamaha SLG130nw
Yamaha NCX900R
Yamaha GC22s
Antonio Picado model 60
Amalio Burguet 3A
Cuenca model 40R
Esteve 4st
Takamine C128
L Luthier Sig 08
Tamura P50
Manuel Adalid model 12
Manuel Adalid

User avatar
eno
Posts: 399
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: Boston, USA

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by eno » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:56 am

Takamine C132S
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

Philosopherguy
Posts: 996
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 am
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by Philosopherguy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:06 am

There are thousands of threads on this topic...

Not to be rude as I always like to help people. However, a minute of searching will find you plenty of information to read for the next few weeks about guitars under $2000, $1000, $1500, and just about every number imaginable.

There are thousands of posts about the Cordoba c10 to read too.

I hope you find a nice guitar!
Martin
*************************************************************
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

CarolB
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by CarolB » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:29 am

Thanks for the replies. And, yes, I’m one of those people that asks the same question that’s been asked many times before. I did search the forums, but of course you have to sort through a lot to get to the bottom of it. The research is half the fun, so thanks again for the replies. I'll look into each of the suggestions.

I’m in the Houston area if that helps any.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2020
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:50 am

Takamine C132S. New they are $999.00. Reverb has several used ones, and new other, for 6 to 8 hundred. Made in Japan I think.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2020
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:40 pm

CarolB wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:29 am
Thanks for the replies. And, yes, I’m one of those people that asks the same question that’s been asked many times before. I did search the forums, but of course you have to sort through a lot to get to the bottom of it. The research is half the fun, so thanks again for the replies. I'll look into each of the suggestions.

I’m in the Houston area if that helps any.
There a few Takamine Hirade H5 GUITARS ON reverb for around 900 dollars, I just figured I would pass that along to you. I'm thinking about getting one.

User avatar
bear
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by bear » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:40 pm
CarolB wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:29 am
Thanks for the replies. And, yes, I’m one of those people that asks the same question that’s been asked many times before. I did search the forums, but of course you have to sort through a lot to get to the bottom of it. The research is half the fun, so thanks again for the replies. I'll look into each of the suggestions.

I’m in the Houston area if that helps any.
There a few Takamine Hirade H5 GUITARS ON reverb for around 900 dollars, I just figured I would pass that along to you. I'm thinking about getting one.
Most questions have been asked before and each time there is an opportunity for new information to be revealed.

I've never played a "Hirade", I was told that the necks are a little thicker making it a little more difficult for smaller hands??
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

davebones
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm
Location: Scarborough, Maine

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by davebones » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Here is another plug for the Takamine C132s. Many are available on Reverb or the bay of E. I really enjoy mine. One of the wonderful benefits of this forum is that you can find so much information from owners of instruments about their opinions of them. Happy hunting!!

CarolB
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by CarolB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:05 am

Thanks for the advice on connecting with Ron Hudson at Memorial Music. I’m now the proud owner of a Navarro student classical. He had just received a new shipment and he played them all so I could hear how they sound and pick the one I like. He of course let me play them all too. I ended up with a beautiful matchbook grain, not so traditional, but very beautiful. I’d post pics, but I haven’t figure that out since I don’t store them publicly.

Thanks again for the tips. I’m really enjoying exploring the vast information here on the forum. I appreciate everyone's contributions.

Carol

Philosopherguy
Posts: 996
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 am
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by Philosopherguy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:43 am

Congratulations on the new guitar! New guitar day is always exciting. I've heard great things about the Navarro student classical's. I'm sure you will be very happy for quite a while.

Martin
*************************************************************
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

bauersachs82
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:01 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Re: Recommendation for $1000 CG, new or used

Post by bauersachs82 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:42 pm

CarolB wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:05 am
Thanks for the advice on connecting with Ron Hudson at Memorial Music. I’m now the proud owner of a Navarro student classical. He had just received a new shipment and he played them all so I could hear how they sound and pick the one I like. He of course let me play them all too. I ended up with a beautiful matchbook grain, not so traditional, but very beautiful. I’d post pics, but I haven’t figure that out since I don’t store them publicly.

Thanks again for the tips. I’m really enjoying exploring the vast information here on the forum. I appreciate everyone's contributions.

Carol
Nice choice!

I recently purchased a Cordoba C10. It is a nice guitar but I'm very interested in the Navarro's. I get a really good deal on Cordoba though because of my job.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”