8 string guitar on a budget

joachim33

Re: 8 string guitar on a budget

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:21 pm

There is a phone number on the website. I would ring them and ask for shops they work with.

By the way I used to live in Edinburgh until 2010 :)

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:10 pm

As a father myself I also have to be careful not to risk wasting money on something I may not ultimately use enough. The problem with 8 string guitars is they seem very uncommon in the UK and even more so in Scotland so I haven't had the opportunity to try out even one of them.
While I understand shops need to put profit over everything else I find it endlessly frustrating that even the smallest guitar shops tend only to stock what is in fashion rather than a genuine choice that includes at least a few unusual items among the guitars the shop wants to or thinks it can sell. Even a crummy little corner shop which maybe sells half a dozen beginner 6 string classicals often offers at least a dozen bloody ukeleles and a hundred electric & steel string guitars but nothing a bit unusual such as a requinto or 8 string which may just attract someone like me!
Choice is an illusion when it comes to bricks & mortar shops: loads of guitars but of a very similar type is no choice. It seems to me to be a missed opportunity for good guitar shops not to stock at least a couple of unusual items, particularly at the low to middle price bracket. These same shops who complain bitterly about the internet "stealing" their sales should understand that what a guitar shop can do is provide there & then hands on experience for (particularly) unusual instruments. And real musicians know they need to try the actual instrument they're thinking of buying before paying. It's only those who haven't a clue who are daft enough to try one in the shop and then dishonestly order "the same model" online from another cheaper supplier not realising that factory classicals can vary enormously within each model!
Oh well, the search goes on.... anyone selling an 8 string?!!
Last edited by Conall on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Hobgoblin Music in UK is offering a second hand Orfea 8 string for 400 GBP which is located in Canterbury! Good luck! :wink:

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:14 pm

- that's the one I just missed out on dammit!!! Thanks anyway!

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 am

Hello Conall,

I was pretty sure you couldn't have missed the Hobgoblin Orfea, but I was wrong ! Thanks to es335 for the reminder !

Once again, I agree that this guitar is not a concert-league instrument, and must not be compared to luthier-made instruments, but the playability is just incredible for the price. As for me, I learned to enjoy its rather "neutral" sound, because it lets you make out the sound you want and explore all the range of right hand expressions and attacks.
Good luck for your quest, please keep us posted.

regards,
Gilles

Conall

Post by Conall » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Thanks, will do & thanks for your input!

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 am

Hi Conall,

I ran across a few youtubes of Salvador Cortez multi string guitars.

7 string:

[media]https://youtu.be/FqJ86rUXuUs[/media], [media]https://youtu.be/ong9SUNyoMA[/media], [media]https://youtu.be/P6XzqTyQ5lE[/media]

10 string:

[media]https://youtu.be/PVBzeNIDwiA[/media], [media]https://youtu.be/eO_f--d6ocY[/media], [media]https://youtu.be/Jmk6aYxeq2M[/media]

According the Swedish distributor the 7 string is a lot cheaper than the 8 string.

I hope this is helpful in evaluating the general quality of these instruments.

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 am
Hi Conall,

I ran across a few youtubes of Salvador Cortez multi string guitars.

7 string:

[media]https://youtu.be/FqJ86rUXuUs[/media], [media]https://youtu.be/ong9SUNyoMA[/media], [media]https://youtu.be/P6XzqTyQ5lE[/media]

10 string:

[media]https://youtu.be/PVBzeNIDwiA[/media], [media]https://youtu.be/eO_f--d6ocY[/media], [media]https://youtu.be/Jmk6aYxeq2M[/media]

According the Swedish distributor the 7 string is a lot cheaper than the 8 string.

I hope this is helpful in evaluating the general quality of these instruments.
Thank you Joachim, you have been very helpful. I might consider a trip to somewhere I can try one out.
I'd prefer 8 strings to 7. I had once a very brief try of a 7 string & just found it confusing. Obviously 8 strings would be even more so but I think I would tolerate & try to overcome that for the advantage of a wider range.

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:51 pm

That 10 string Salvador-Cortez certainly sounds nice in particular -at least on the internet. If I had another lifetime I might consider a 10 string or 11 string altoguitar but I think I'll try the 8 string first.

es335

Post by es335 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Conall wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 pm
...I'd prefer 8 strings to 7. I had once a very brief try of a 7 string & just found it confusing. Obviously 8 strings would be even more so but I think I would tolerate & try to overcome that for the advantage of a wider range.
Not neccessarily! I remember having tried two 7 string guitars at different places and time. Though they were quite different, one a Spanish and the other a German made, both appeared to be surprisingly confusing to me. I felt almost completely lost, even after some time of playing. Opposed to this both 10 strings guitars I had tried in the past felt much more comfortable. One of them was with me for more than a year and she didn't play much more complicated than a 6 string for me! :wink: :D

Not sure about 8 string guitars though!? :?

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:53 pm

es335 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:43 pm
Conall wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 pm
...I'd prefer 8 strings to 7. I had once a very brief try of a 7 string & just found it confusing. Obviously 8 strings would be even more so but I think I would tolerate & try to overcome that for the advantage of a wider range.
Not neccessarily! I remember having tried two 7 string guitars at different places and time. Though they were quite different, one a Spanish and the other a German made, both appeared to be surprisingly confusing to me. I felt almost completely lost, even after some time of playing. Opposed to this both 10 strings guitars I had tried in the past felt much more comfortable. One of them was with me for more than a year and she didn't play much more complicated than a 6 string for me! :wink: :D

Not sure about 8 string guitars though!? :?
Oh dear, I clearly need to move to a more enlightened country where I can just walk in to a shop and try out all of 7,8,10,11,13 string guitars!

I have a Baroque lute but I never liked the right hand span / stretching because it gave me cramps in that hand! It's not the mental so much as the physical challenges of 10+ strings that put me off them.

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:54 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:21 pm
There is a phone number on the website. I would ring them and ask for shops they work with.

By the way I used to live in Edinburgh until 2010 :)
I might try phoning them thanks Joachim.

Edinburgh's a fine town, hope you liked it!

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Not sure if you can get these where you're located, but Rondo Music's "Agile" brand includes a few 8-string classical offerings. One is a longer scale with straight bridge, the other is a multi-scale with slanted bridge and fanned frets. I can't speak to the quality since I've never tried one, but the price is under US$500.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

ElRay

Post by ElRay » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:23 pm

SeanWinkler wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:11 pm
Not sure if you can get these where you're located, but Rondo Music's "Agile" brand includes a few 8-string classical offerings. ...
Not, the OP, who didn't want to import have to pay VAT on top of everything else, but I am looking at one of the multi-scaled Agiles. I already have a multi-scaled Agile electric, and it's heck of a lot of bang for the buck.

My big question right now is scale length, gauge and tension. I'd love a 24" - 27", but the nylon stringed Renaissance seem to be only 24" - 25-1/2" or 25-1/2" to 27". Electric gauges I can totally geek-out over, but I don't have the data for Classical strings.

I'd like to go with a High-A and a Low-B/A. That A is tough on a 25-1/2" electric, but I don't know if there's a thin enough nylon string that can hold the required tension -- hence the desire for the 24" 1st string. At the same time, I don't want a bridge cable for that 8th string that's down a 4th or 5th. So I'd love the 27" on the 8th string.

I've dug around, but I haven't been able to find what scales/gauges current 8-String Classical players are using.

Ray

Conall

Post by Conall » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:18 pm

gilles T wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 am
Hello Conall,

I was pretty sure you couldn't have missed the Hobgoblin Orfea, but I was wrong ! Thanks to es335 for the reminder !

Once again, I agree that this guitar is not a concert-league instrument, and must not be compared to luthier-made instruments, but the playability is just incredible for the price. As for me, I learned to enjoy its rather "neutral" sound, because it lets you make out the sound you want and explore all the range of right hand expressions and attacks.
Good luck for your quest, please keep us posted.

regards,
Gilles
UPDATE!

I found a 2nd hand Orfea on e - b a y (in England - I live in Scotland) and, thanks to your valuable advice & recommendation & to the low price asked (& apparent good condition) I decided to risk it not even having tried it!
The seller was very good to answer the frequent & fairly detailed questions & sent it safely (special delivery - insured) the very next day!
Now my quandary is what to tune the 7th & 8th to. The supplied strings look very thick so I've played it safe & kept them low (C & G below 6th E) for now. I originally wanted D & C but I can see the advantages already of lower pitches - having had a go at the Dresden Weiss pieces.
I will order a new 8 string set with D & C & compare them to the strings on it now but at the moment I'll just give myself a chance to try out the lower pitches.
The guitar isn't perfect (some fret buzz) but I imagine I can get that fixed. The neck has a truss rod - would adjusting that help?).
It sounds resonant (probably largely because of the low strings) though obviously not as good as a hand made guitar - but then I agree that at the low new price it's great value.

It's going to be a challenge - but the possibilities are almost endless - Weiss, Bach, Dowland, you name it - so it should be worth the effort.

Right - off to experiment.....

P.s. thanks again gilles T - and to all the other contributors - this forum is proving valuable as well as diverting!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”