Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

User avatar
crabolsky
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 2:20 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by crabolsky » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:18 am

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a guitar (sight unseen) on the ole E-B marketplace. It was listed as a 50’s guitar however I am fairly certain that this guitar dates back to somewhere around the 1920’s. At first I thought it was an early Classical (in spite of the pegs) due to its overall look. However from the photos it seems to have a metal saddle on the bridge.

I am guessing it’s a German made parlor style guitar, but this is a hunch based on my limited knowledge.

Would anyone here be able to shed any light on its origins? Obviously a label would help, but I believe it’s missing any signatures or labels. I’ll be picking it up later next week but would love to know what I am looking at.

Cheers
Ben

Updated with embedded photos...
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Last edited by crabolsky on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kenny Hill-Performance.

User avatar
Michael.N.
Posts: 6969
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:49 am

Link is not working, at least for me.
Historicalguitars.

User avatar
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Dorchester, Dorset, England

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:03 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:49 am
Link is not working, at least for me.
Same here. Real pics when it arrives!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

User avatar
crabolsky
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 2:20 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by crabolsky » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:04 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:49 am
Link is not working, at least for me.
Apologies, link is fixed!
Kenny Hill-Performance.

User avatar
andreas777
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by andreas777 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:52 pm

Can you upload two additional pictures, one of the back and one through the sound hole?
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Philosopherguy
Posts: 996
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 am
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by Philosopherguy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:58 pm

I think maybe when you look at the internal bracing on the top you might get an idea of what this guitar was made to do.
*************************************************************
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

simonm
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7430
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Germany, Würzburg. Spain, IB

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by simonm » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:05 pm

Much better to load the pictures here. You just have to reduce the size to 300k or thereabouts.

User avatar
crabolsky
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 2:20 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by crabolsky » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:49 pm

Thanks guys, I was hoping to have an idea using just these photos I’ve pulled from the listing. Normally I’d upload right into the post, but unfortunately I am mobile and using my phone. 300k is tough to hit!
Kenny Hill-Performance.

User avatar
Michael.N.
Posts: 6969
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:32 pm

Difficult to say, there isn't that much difference between 1920's and 1950. I have the suspicion that it might be a later German trade guitar, so 1950 may not be wrong. Over the years I've seen a lot of this style of guitar and I'm leaning to that later date although I'm perfectly happy to be proved wrong. I don't think it's the nicest example that I've seen either but it may play well and sound good for it's type.
Historicalguitars.

User avatar
crabolsky
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 2:20 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by crabolsky » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:03 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:32 pm
Difficult to say, there isn't that much difference between 1920's and 1950. I have the suspicion that it might be a later German trade guitar, so 1950 may not be wrong. Over the years I've seen a lot of this style of guitar and I'm leaning to that later date although I'm perfectly happy to be proved wrong. I don't think it's the nicest example that I've seen either but it may play well and sound good for it's type.
Thanks Michael interesting to hear your thoughts. The listing said it was a donation from a lady who said her husband played it in the 50’s, which i thought didn’t necessarily mean it was made then. I traced its style back to the 1920’s but it makes sense that it continued into the 50’s.

Michael, what are your thoughts on the saddle material being (what appears to be) metal? Does this mean it was designed to be strictly a steel string set up or possible gut?
Kenny Hill-Performance.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2020
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:42 am

It actually could be a pre, or depression era Karl Frey. I’ve seen pre depression guitars of his that were ornate, somewhat. But this looks to me to be one of his by the fingerboard and metal fret like saddle.

User avatar
Michael.N.
Posts: 6969
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:00 am

crabolsky wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:03 pm
Michael.N. wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:32 pm
Difficult to say, there isn't that much difference between 1920's and 1950. I have the suspicion that it might be a later German trade guitar, so 1950 may not be wrong. Over the years I've seen a lot of this style of guitar and I'm leaning to that later date although I'm perfectly happy to be proved wrong. I don't think it's the nicest example that I've seen either but it may play well and sound good for it's type.
Thanks Michael interesting to hear your thoughts. The listing said it was a donation from a lady who said her husband played it in the 50’s, which i thought didn’t necessarily mean it was made then. I traced its style back to the 1920’s but it makes sense that it continued into the 50’s.

Michael, what are your thoughts on the saddle material being (what appears to be) metal? Does this mean it was designed to be strictly a steel string set up or possible gut?
A metal saddle was used by much earlier Viennese makers, it doesn't imply that it's designed for steel strings. Nor does the fact that it has metal barreled tuning machines. The problem with dating many of these types of instruments is that they are based on much earlier forms of guitar, so a cursory glance can give the impression of 1830 rather than 1930. The give away is in the details and the odd stylistic feature. Usually the bridge and headstock treatment (there are others) and the general level of craftsmanship. German trade guitar usually covers the area of SE Germany that became an important centre of musical instrument production during the 19 th and 20 th century - the 'factory' guitars of that period which were largely based on early French or Viennese romantic guitars.
Historicalguitars.

User avatar
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Dorchester, Dorset, England

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:14 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:00 am
A metal saddle was used by much earlier Viennese makers, it doesn't imply that it's designed for steel strings. Nor does the fact that it has metal barreled tuning machines.
My Staufer (1830s) had metal for both of these (and one 'f' on the label!).
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

User avatar
andreas777
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by andreas777 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Without seeing the wood of the back and the construction (heel, etc.) it's difficult, but you could google similar guitars, or search at the big auction site. A seller with id/store name 'gitarre05' for example has similar guitars, and he dates them to 1930.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

User avatar
crabolsky
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 2:20 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Early 1900’s parlor style guitar origins?

Post by crabolsky » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks for the input and Happy New Years to all! Would you believe the seller is on holidays in the same town I am in (3 hours out of Melbourne)... wierd coincidence. So the photos will be delayed.

I did file this posting of a a gentleman who repaired a similar looking guitar from the 1930’s. Same body, similar fretboard,
Headstock. Certainly a more ornate bridge. It might follow that my guitar was built in the same German region. I will update with more photos once I get my hands on it.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/claesca ... rlour/amp/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kenny Hill-Performance.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”