Cordoba C5 or Lucero Lc200s?

DannyTkats

Cordoba C5 or Lucero Lc200s?

Post by DannyTkats » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:41 pm

I go to college for classical guitar performance and am looking to buy a decent guitar while I save up and do research for a better model. I found a used C5 for 140 bucks but my budget can stretch to 600 for now, although I'd rather stay at around 400 since I do want to save up for another.

Lc200s with the sale going on are 250 new. Now, I know I'm best off trying both out and deciding for myself, however I would like to gather advice here before I do that.

I'd much prefer a 52mm nut since that's what I'm used to and those two guitars are both 52mm. Although I am looking for more playability than tone e.g lower action to give up tone or volume if that holds any relevance, however, I do want it to be something I can perform on that wont sound like crap. Last semester I performed 4 pieces twice, and two of those pieces were played twice which means that I performed 6 times throughout the semester, and that was on my yamaha 172sf though that is a flamenco guitar and does not have the warmer tone I would like from a cedar top classical.

I've heard C7s are good, but if I'm going to spend 500 on one brand new, why not just save 300 more and spend it on a Kremona Fiesta which has solid back and sides.

If anyone has any experience with these two or can recommend any other guitars, would the two I mention suffice for performances? The thing about these performances is that most of the time the audience are mostly musicians and the concert halls tend to be nearly full, so they have trained ears, however bills keep me at a budget.

I'd say I'm fairly advanced in playing

Also just a side question, does anybody know any pro classical guitarists that use a guitar with laminated back and sides to perform/record?

Philosopherguy

Re: Cordoba C5 or Lucero Lc200s?

Post by Philosopherguy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Isn't there anything good used in your area? For $500 or $600 used you can likely get something a little better that will sound good. I know from what others have said that both these guitars aren't bad, but used you might get an older Yairi, Yamaha, a used Cordoba C7/C9 or something else that will have a better overall sound to perform on. I would look around first before jumping in. There used to be a Yamaha GC12 used on here within your budget. As an example: something like that would be great for you if you can get it within your budget.

My advice: don't be too rushed. Shop around a little and check out your local used guitars every week until something comes up.

Martin

PS. You should introduce yourself in the correct section and put where you are from in your user profile so that we can provide better advice.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

bauersachs82

Post by bauersachs82 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:27 am

What don’t you like about your Yamaha? A Cordoba C5 isn’t that expensive of a guitar and won’t be that much of an upgrade from what you are used to. I would save up a little more and get something that could last a while.
Last edited by bauersachs82 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

bauersachs82

Post by bauersachs82 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Delete
Last edited by bauersachs82 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

bauersachs82

Post by bauersachs82 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Delete

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:31 am

Well, since you say you're willing to spend $800, you can't do better than a new Yamaha GC12. Solid top, solid back and sides, ebony fingerboard. $800, and less on sale. Head and shoulders over anything new in that price range.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

DannyTkats

Post by DannyTkats » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:31 am
Well, since you say you're willing to spend $800, you can't do better than a new Yamaha GC12. Solid top, solid back and sides, ebony fingerboard. $800, and less on sale. Head and shoulders over anything new in that price range.

Ramon
That's one I'm definitely looking to try out, although my local GC doesn't have one currently. I suppose I should really just trust my ear and feel. I tried the LC200s at a GC today as well as a C7 and honestly felt like the 200s was better, at least that particular one and that particular C7. The C9 I played was definitely a step above though, really a gorgeous instrument for the price.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:23 am

I'm an authorized Cordoba dealer, so I've played lots of C9s, and it is a nice guitar, but I have to tell you that the Yamaha GC12 is a way better guitar, and even costs a bit less.

You could order one from your local Guitar Center, and try it. They have a great return policy so you could always return it to the store. But I don't think you would.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Thura2017

Post by Thura2017 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:31 am

I also prefer Yamaha in that price range.
Yamaha CG151c
Yamaha CG171s
Yamaha CG180sca
Yamaha CG192s
Yamaha SLG130nw
Yamaha NCX900R
Yamaha GC22s
Antonio Picado model 60
Amalio Burguet 3A
Cuenca model 40R
Esteve 4st
Takamine C128
L Luthier Sig 08
Tamura P50
Manuel Adalid model 12
Manuel Adalid

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:45 pm

I have a Córdoba C9 and a Lucero LC200S.
Deifinately, the Lucero is the better made and finished guitar. The C9 has a really good tone but it came with a higher action, and fret sprout. Also, the bridge was put on in the wrong place, and was replaced with another one, which had fret sprout, that was filed down as a warranty repair.

The Lucero LC200S came with no sprout, even frets with decent polish, an action of 3.5/3.2mm. Cedar top that is solid, lam back and sides, 52mm nut, good finish and dark rosewood fingerboard. I actually bought to, and gave one as a gift to my son. The action was the same. They really are the most bang for the buck, though. If you would have bought one three months ago, you could have got them for $199.00. I put Ramirez med tension with carbon G on them, and the tone improved, and it sounded just as good as albeit not as breathy, and more focused, not quite as warm though. Also, if you use Hard tension strings, or as Lucero says “heavy gauge” strings, it voids the warranty.

I had a C5. It wasn’t very good. I wouldn’t waste my money.

The Kremona was nice, good tone, good playability. Crummy gig bag. I almost bought one from my friend who is a Kremona dealer. I didn’t pull the trigger on the fiesta in time, he sold it the nest day.

If I had 800 bucks to spend, I think I would go with a Yamaha GC like Ramon suggests. Or if you could come up with a couple hundred extra, maybe a GC22. There are quite a few Takamine Hirades H5 on Reverb some as low as 600 used. That’s what I am saving up for. I talked to my guy at sweet water, and those guitars are quite expensive new.

Orcas_

Post by Orcas_ » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:06 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:45 pm
I have a Córdoba C9 and a Lucero LC200S.
Deifinately, the Lucero is the better made and finished guitar. The C9 has a really good tone but it came with a higher action, and fret sprout. Also, the bridge was put on in the wrong place, and was replaced with another one, which had fret sprout, that was filed down as a warranty repair.

The Lucero LC200S came with no sprout, even frets with decent polish, an action of 3.5/3.2mm. Cedar top that is solid, lam back and sides, 52mm nut, good finish and dark rosewood fingerboard. I actually bought to, and gave one as a gift to my son. The action was the same. They really are the most bang for the buck, though. If you would have bought one three months ago, you could have got them for $199.00. I put Ramirez med tension with carbon G on them, and the tone improved, and it sounded just as good as albeit not as breathy, and more focused, not quite as warm though. Also, if you use Hard tension strings, or as Lucero says “heavy gauge” strings, it voids the warranty.

I had a C5. It wasn’t very good. I wouldn’t waste my money.

The Kremona was nice, good tone, good playability. Crummy gig bag. I almost bought one from my friend who is a Kremona dealer. I didn’t pull the trigger on the fiesta in time, he sold it the nest day.

If I had 800 bucks to spend, I think I would go with a Yamaha GC like Ramon suggests. Or if you could come up with a couple hundred extra, maybe a GC22. There are quite a few Takamine Hirades H5 on Reverb some as low as 600 used. That’s what I am saving up for. I talked to my guy at sweet water, and those guitars are quite expensive new.
Definitely every 200s I’ve tried has been much better than the C5, even like it more than a C7.
The GC12 is out there and def a good guitar that will serve performance. It’s along the same price range as the Kremona Fiesta and I feel that it’s definitely worth the 800 on GC. Ordering one and trying it out seems win/win as it’s an easy return

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Take a look at the Takamine 132s thread on this forum. You could get a used one at a good price. (I'm not at all sure if the Takamine Hirade mentioned above is a superior model--I mean, I really don't know; I've never played one.)
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:37 pm

I work at a store that carries both, and I can definitely say that if you're a classical guitar major you need to save a few hundred more dollars. I would aim for a budget of around $900 to get an instrument that offers a worthwhile improvement over what you currently have.

Your instrument and technique are connected: A cheap guitar will not give you something even if you play it great. A better guitar will reward better playing, which you need to be doing more of. Don't go cheap. You're going to spend hundreds, if not thousands of hours playing it.

Look for a used Esteve or Kenny Hill New World guitar.

As for your question about laminates: Some of the truly great builders like Daniel Freidrich and Greg Smallman use double or even triple backs and sides. It simply makes for more stiff back and sides, concentrating vibrations into the top. It's used as a design feature, rather than strictly as a way to save money.

Big name manufacturers use laminated back and sides to cut costs, but you shouldn't underestimate a laminate guitar. Some of them sound fantastic. The only way to tell is to play the actual guitar you're considering, and I would discourage ordering online because of that.

Save your money, and play a LOT of guitars.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

DannyTkats

Post by DannyTkats » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Jim Davidson wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:37 pm
I work at a store that carries both, and I can definitely say that if you're a classical guitar major you need to save a few hundred more dollars. I would aim for a budget of around $900 to get an instrument that offers a worthwhile improvement over what you currently have.

Your instrument and technique are connected: A cheap guitar will not give you something even if you play it great. A better guitar will reward better playing, which you need to be doing more of. Don't go cheap. You're going to spend hundreds, if not thousands of hours playing it.

Look for a used Esteve or Kenny Hill New World guitar.

As for your question about laminates: Some of the truly great builders like Daniel Freidrich and Greg Smallman use double or even triple backs and sides. It simply makes for more stiff back and sides, concentrating vibrations into the top. It's used as a design feature, rather than strictly as a way to save money.

Big name manufacturers use laminated back and sides to cut costs, but you shouldn't underestimate a laminate guitar. Some of them sound fantastic. The only way to tell is to play the actual guitar you're considering, and I would discourage ordering online because of that.

Save your money, and play a LOT of guitars.
Thank you very much for your insight. Funny how my post is changing form c5 vs lucero to this haha but, after reading everybody's suggestions I think it's wise to just invest right now. Realistically, I can spend about 1200 right now although not much more than that, so I think I'll just stretch the budget and invest in a nicer one.
With that being said, I have my eyes on the GC12 (I found a store that carries it for 799) and I fully understand that people seem to praise that guitar very much however, I recently called a GC near my area and they have a Kremona Fiesta on clearence for 600 bucks, normally 800. I'll likely go ahead and play it while I'm there, but while I'm here does anyone have insight on the Fiest FC-7?

DannyTkats

Post by DannyTkats » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:39 pm

Got to admit, the other thing that worries me with an all solid is humidity? currently 70% humidity in my room so I def don't want to mess it up. I do have a dehumidifier, should I keep that running?

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”