'That Spanish sound'....meaning?...

astro64

Re: 'That Spanish sound'....meaning?...

Post by astro64 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:32 pm
Along the same lines:

One of my teachers, "X", played for Segovia years ago. Segovia told him "X, for such a big man, you have a very little sound. You need to move to Spain, eat Spanish food, drink Spanish wine, and love Spanish women. Then, you will have a bigger sound."

So "X", my professor, did just that! Consequently, he does have a very big sound.

Apropos?
That is a good one. I was very surprised when I first heard Segovia's voice. I had pictured a deep, bass baritone, but he had a surprisingly light-toned voice instead. He did have a big sound on the guitar though!

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
You need to move to Spain, eat Spanish food, drink Spanish wine, and love Spanish women."
Great advice, but where would one find the time to play guitar? :)
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Along the same lines:

One of my teachers, "X", played for Segovia years ago. Segovia told him "X, for such a big man, you have a very little sound. You need to move to Spain, eat Spanish food, drink Spanish wine, and love Spanish women. Then, you will have a bigger sound."

So "X", my professor, did just that! Consequently, he does have a very big sound.

Apropos?

Excellent, Dirck!
And, there is more to that wisdom than the implied humor. Can we really touch people as an artist if we have spent our lives practicing in a cubicle and haven't lived life to its fullest? Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 am

"Can we really touch people as an artist if we have spent our lives practicing in a cubicle and haven't lived life to its fullest? "

Well...Emily Dickinson.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 am
"Can we really touch people as an artist if we have spent our lives practicing in a cubicle and haven't lived life to its fullest? "

Well...Emily Dickinson.
I

Well, Jeff,
As a student of Literature for my entire life, I can assure you that there is nothing that ED has ever written that even remotely moved a single neuron in MY brain(some might add that nothing has yet accomplished this feat) . . . and she would be the poster girl for why an artist ,similar to a plant, needs to have sufficient nourishment to flower and bloom. And, if an artist is a sensorium of human experience . . . how much experience did she have secluded in her room in Amherst, Massachusetts? For me, 19th Century World Poetry was a barren period with the exceptions of two of the greatest poets in History: W.B. Yeats and Robert Frost. The rest were a bunch of sing-song rhymers that cause bad indigestion after a good meal. Perhaps one other: the great French novelist/poet Romain Rolland who wrote one of the greatest novels: Jean Christophe that focuses on an artist's life(probably Beethoven) and to this day, for me, is one of the greatest novels of all time comparing to Cervantes' "Don Quixote" and Thomas Mann's "The Magic Mountain." Rolland also wrote poetry. Playing again . . .Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:00 pm

De Gustibus....
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”