Opinions on these guitars? Which is the best deal?

CrisJoaquim

Opinions on these guitars? Which is the best deal?

Post by CrisJoaquim » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:26 am

I'm sure there are a ton of threads like this, however I've decided to get a second opinion before I do dish out some cash.
I've been looking into buying a used budget concert classical.

After playing a ton of guitars, the ones that I've liked the most are the Kremona Fiesta (750 new)
Hirade H5 (700 used)
Cordoba C10 (600 used)
Yamaha GC12 (750 new) All cedar top and at this point, I suppose it's really just preference, but I'd just like to see what people think of these

Now, I can definitely stretch my budget if something nicer comes along, however I've been monitoring the used market for a while as well as stores, and besides those and some $3000 dollar ramirez' that are out of my budget, I haven't been seeing any other guitars come out. One of my stores has a gc30 for 1k as well, although I haven't played that one as much.

The C10 does have a truss rod which is nice, however, would it be something I really need on a classical? Very open to suggestions for new guitars, as nothing much else seems to be coming out. I don't doubt at all that a nice guitar with laminate sides and back can compete with these, however nothing in the used market has been showing up besides a Cordoba 45r at 400 dollars used and frankly I haven't been able to play it or have heard many clips.

Thanks all in advance

Debussychopin

Re: Opinions on these guitars? Which is the best deal?

Post by Debussychopin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:11 am

Yamaha gc12 is the best out of those

Yamaha GL1

bear

Post by bear » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:23 pm

CrisJoaquim wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:26 am
I'm sure there are a ton of threads like this, however I've decided to get a second opinion before I do dish out some cash.
I've been looking into buying a used budget concert classical.

After playing a ton of guitars, the ones that I've liked the most are the Kremona Fiesta (750 new)
Hirade H5 (700 used)
Cordoba C10 (600 used)
Yamaha GC12 (750 new) All cedar top and at this point, I suppose it's really just preference, but I'd just like to see what people think of these

Now, I can definitely stretch my budget if something nicer comes along, however I've been monitoring the used market for a while as well as stores, and besides those and some $3000 dollar ramirez' that are out of my budget, I haven't been seeing any other guitars come out. One of my stores has a gc30 for 1k as well, although I haven't played that one as much.

The C10 does have a truss rod which is nice, however, would it be something I really need on a classical? Very open to suggestions for new guitars, as nothing much else seems to be coming out. I don't doubt at all that a nice guitar with laminate sides and back can compete with these, however nothing in the used market has been showing up besides a Cordoba 45r at 400 dollars used and frankly I haven't been able to play it or have heard many clips.

Thanks all in advance
Have you looked at reverb.com?
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:17 pm

Yamaha GC12

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:14 pm

I got my daughter’s Ramirez 2NE for not much more than what the guitars you mentioned cost. It was used. I paid $899.00, so basically $900.00. It’s condition was exceptional. Just a couple of nail marks on the top, you have to look at it just right to be able to see them. Came with its original Humicase. Pretty much a brand new guitar. The previous owner had just had it set up before she sold it to my friend’s shop. Sweet tone.

The Yamaha and the Hirade are both nice, but I would try to find one used. the GC 12 used would be significantly less than buying one new. The Hirade that you listed above is one that I am keeping an eye open for. Lots of used ones on the Verb.

Thura2017

Post by Thura2017 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:56 am

If for me, it would be Yamaha GC12.
Yamaha CG151c
Yamaha CG171s
Yamaha CG180sca
Yamaha CG192s
Yamaha SLG130nw
Yamaha NCX900R
Yamaha GC22s
Antonio Picado model 60
Amalio Burguet 3A
Cuenca model 40R
Esteve 4st
Takamine C128
L Luthier Sig 08
Tamura P50
Manuel Adalid model 12
Manuel Adalid

CrisJoaquim

Post by CrisJoaquim » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:12 am

Thura2017 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:56 am
If for me, it would be Yamaha GC12.
Seems like everyone is very fond of the GC12 here, I admit it's got pretty amazing construction for the price. I've wanted to actually try out the spruce top model but my shop doesn't have one. There's a blemished on on GC for 639 so I might just order that to try it and return it if I don't like it.

I know why I like the GC12, but what about is makes it so popular in the eyes of others? I see it praised on here often.

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 pm

For the price (you can even get a better price if you are patient and shop on reverb) a brand new GC12 plays like a $1000+ model. If you search our posts or other discussion you will see that I have played it against many other guitars I had (in a nutshell), and one of my surprises was that the cordoba c12 was no match for it. I am not a bias towards any one make on this forum. I just am biased towards good quality and great sound. I had also a brand new alhambra 9P that was sweet but to be honest , it did not beat the GC12 i had. I made multiple comparisons on different days w another person as a blindfolded listener as well. These are just my experiences though. ymmv

Yamaha GL1

Thura2017

Post by Thura2017 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:05 am

When I bought my GC22S in the Yamaha store, I also tried GC12C but I preferred the sound and look of the GC22S. Actually I intended to buy a GC22C thinking cedar top will be much nicer in that price range and the spruce top in that store didn't look appealing to me. But when I tried in another Yamaha branch store, luckily I found my spruce one look nicer played nicer than the cedar one. Good volume with sustain and some overtones. I think it worth more than it cost. In any case, you should play the guitar before you make the decision.
Yamaha CG151c
Yamaha CG171s
Yamaha CG180sca
Yamaha CG192s
Yamaha SLG130nw
Yamaha NCX900R
Yamaha GC22s
Antonio Picado model 60
Amalio Burguet 3A
Cuenca model 40R
Esteve 4st
Takamine C128
L Luthier Sig 08
Tamura P50
Manuel Adalid model 12
Manuel Adalid

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:16 am

GC12 is likely the best guitar on that list. Unless, of course, you can find something used that might be better that is in the same range (ie. a deal like Laudiesdad69 got on a Ramirez).

But, nothing is guaranteed in guitars. If you are going to buy something without playing it, buy from somewhere that has a return policy in case you get a dud. Quality control at Yamaha is pretty good though. Likely most of the guitars coming out of Yamaha are fairly consistent.

If I HAD to buy a guitar online without playing it, Yamaha would likely be my first choice because of the consistency between guitars. I played a GC12 not too long ago that sounded absolutely amazing. The guitar smelled horrible because I was the first person to open it and play it from the case it came in from the factory and all I could smell was either the finish or the glue from the case. But, it sounded absolutely superb. The finish smell would have gone away before too long after airing the guitar out a little. It was a cedar top version.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:11 pm

My only added suggestion is to play the guitar in person... Even if you can't get the actual model, try out similar models to see how the neck feels to your hand.

Yamaha's are great guitars, but they don't work well with my left hand. They tend to be too wide or thick for my personal preferences. My humble opinion is that Cordoba may be about to surpass Yamaha in the entry level guitars & is pretty darn close to them in their upper level guitars.

It all comes down to personal preferences.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”