Beginner question: First guitar? Or first someone else's first guitar?

Rexinator

Beginner question: First guitar? Or first someone else's first guitar?

Post by Rexinator » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to get my first classical guitar, the first step on my journey of learning the instrument. :D Are my question is this: is it wise to buy a used guitar online? I visited a number of local shops, and narrowed my pick to a few: Cordoba C7 / C9, the Kremona Fiesta, and a few US made hand built vintages under a 1000. However, I saw some affordable deals for C9s on "certain online site" that Starts with the letter R. They have a few dings and scratches on them, but I don't really mind as it fit my budget. and for the only two C9 I tried in physical store, I could not tell the difference in their tones anyways. Would any of you trust used guitars purchased online? :?: :?:

Orcas_

Re: Beginner question: First guitar? Or first someone else's first guitar?

Post by Orcas_ » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:12 am

If you’re trying to learn, go for playability over tone, unless you really care a lot about tone.

The Lucero lc200s is an excellent beginning instrument with a 52mm nut and you can try it at your local gc.

Normally I wouldn’t buy anything that I couldn’t try unless there was a return policy, aside from maybe Yamahas due to consistency, although I’d still prefer to try it

Cordoba C5 and Lc200s are similarly priced and I prefer the Lucero.

Learn on any 52mm nut 650mm scale length that YOU like.

If you’re going to bother going for something with a good tone, I’d suggest spending 800 on a Yamaha GC12 and you’ll have an excellent instrument for a long time, although if you just want to learn

Spend 300 or so on something with the specs I mentioned and that you enjoy
And save up for a better guitar if you think classical is for you

Kevin Laake

Post by Kevin Laake » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:48 pm

I'm a big fan of used guitars, especially the Cordoba line. There are lots of people that start with a C5/C7/C9 and upgrade to a different guitar later which is why there are so many after market ones. Buy from a seller with a good rating and I think you'l be happy, especially with a C9.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:26 am

I own a C9, and a Lucero LC200S. Side by side, I enjoy the Lucero more. The tone of the Lucero is a little more solid, not so woody as the C9. The C9 is Spruce/mahogany. The Lucero is Cedar/laminated rosewood. The Lucero came with a low action, and was more playable right out of the box.

The fit and finish was better on the Lucero. There were frets poking out the sides of the fretboard on the Córdoba. The Lucero’s frets were all even, whereas the Córdoba has a couple of high ones. The Córdoba was louder. Both guitars have a 52mm nut and 650mm scale.

The biggest difference between the two was price. The C9 cost $849 at GC and the Lucero is
$299. To me, the Lucero was the better deal.

benb

Post by benb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:24 pm

I purchased my Loriente Angela online and used. It was a great deal. I did end up sending it to a Luthier to refret it and refinish the FP on the soundboard (I factored that into price). So for just a bit more than the price of a new Cordoba C10 I got a beautiful Loriente.
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy used if you find one you like and can accept the risks. Comfort level with the seller and some type of trial would be good though.
Loriente Marieta sp/ir
Loriente Angela sp/maple

dta721

Post by dta721 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Rexinator wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm
Hi all,

I am trying to get my first classical guitar, the first step on my journey of learning the instrument. :D Are my question is this: is it wise to buy a used guitar online? ...(snip). Would any of you trust used guitars purchased online? :?: :?:
I'd say the question is about the risks, whether you know all the risks associated with a used guitar, or take a calculated risk to buy a used, or even a new guitar online!

If you can mitigate certain risks on its tone, playability on either new or used when buying online, then it can be a good idea.

At the risk of (free) advertising for a fellow Delcamper, I would buy a new guitar from Ramon, based on my assumption that as a pro guitarist, also a teacher, he would qualify the tone, and quality of those he sells. But of course, there can be a limitation in his selection, should you want something different than his line of products.

As for used guitars, I'd go for sellers who actually performed a (Youtube) demo on the exact guitar for sale as part of the for sale post. This way, even I know I may not be able to make the best out of this guitar, I have an idea how a pro, or someone more advanced playing it, I know what to expect of its tone. For an example, look for Spronev in the Archive Used Guitar For Sale in the Forum, many (if not all) his used guitars for sale had a sound sample with him actually playing the subject guitar. Perhaps because of this practice, he seemed to enjoy a quicker sale. I am just baffled how he got hold of those good used guitars at the first place :)!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”