Advice on buying classical guitar

utkudemir

Advice on buying classical guitar

Post by utkudemir » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi everyone,
I want to buy a new or used classical guitar. My budget is nearly $500. I live in Turkey this can cause a problem for shipping. Furthermore, I am 20 years old but my little finger is so small , I cannot play easily in 4th positions. What should I do for not having this problem.

Thanks for your helps!

Scott Phillips

Re: Advice on buying classical guitar

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 am

How big are you and your hands? Do you need a reduced width nut or a shorter scale? If you cannot play a barre comfortably in fourth position, is there an issue with your current guitar as far as set up? Action can usually be lowered. What make is your current guitar, and what is the action at the twelfth fret? Or, will this be your first classical guitar?

utkudemir

Post by utkudemir » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:43 pm

My current guitar's action is too bad I had an opportunity to compare two classical guitar(one of them is my guitar) and I play more comfortable with other guitar. Also my little finger is fine in this guitar. I think reduced width nut or shorter scale is not the problem. The problem is action. I went to luthier to lower the action but he said that this may makes your guitar worse. Furthermore, my guitar is $100 and does not worth to modifying from my view

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:28 am

I don't know what maker's guitars are available to you in Turkey. But, if I was going to have to buy one sight unseen, I would see if Yamaha is available to you, just because they are quite consistent. I got my wife a solid cedar top Yamaha for less than $200.00 and it sounds fantastic. It is 3/4 size as she is quite small. But they have full size models with solid top that fall within your budget.

patsorenson

Post by patsorenson » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi all, I've searched this forum a bit and didn't find a lot of direct responses to the question I have, so posting again if anyone recently has considered this and has info or opinions. I've decided I want a 630 scale guitar. I'm at about grade 3-4 level I think, but want an instrument that I will be happy with for a long time, that sounds good and has great playability. Ideally I'd like to find a 630 scale guitar with an elevated fingerboard that has good balance across bass and trebles and has great tone, but haven't been able to find one for my price range, about 2K. I've seen the the DeCascia Sylvia, http://www.grandsalondeguitare.com/prod ... ia-sylvia/ but doesn't look like they make smaller than 640, not worth the switch I think. Questions: 1) does anyone know of a 630 with elevated fingerboard in my price range? (I called Hill Guitars and they don't plan on making elevated fingerboard in 628 for at least a couple years, if ever) 2) I'm considering for now a Cordoba c10 parlor or a Kenny Hill Player 628 (a bit more $$). Is the Player worth the extra $$ in your opinion? I don't think I can find a place to play both side by side for comparison, so wondering if anyone has. Thanks!!
2017 New World Player 628 spruce

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”