Córdoba C9 vs. 45MR - My Surprising Results

rsclosson

Córdoba C9 vs. 45MR - My Surprising Results

Post by rsclosson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:57 pm

I had the opportunity to “trade up” my C9 for a Córdoba 45 MR. After a side by side comparison, I found I prefer the less expensive C9.

I really tried to like the “upgrade.” The Madagascar rosewood on the 45 is beautiful bit it just doesn’t have the volume and projection. The harmonics on the 45 are richer and the tone is beautiful, but when going for volume, it seems compressed. The sound feels trapped inside, if that makes sense.

The C9 has more fundamental tone but still sounds great. The notes pop out without hesitation. I can only figure that it’s the all solid mahogany back and sides compared to the laminated rosewood. I’m surprised and no longer believe that rosewood is the ultimate tone wood.

My final decision is not made but I will be surprised if I trade up. Any similar experiences?

Debussychopin

Re: Córdoba C9 vs. 45MR - My Surprising Results

Post by Debussychopin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:36 pm

you should have kept the c9. I had both of these models including a c12 and im not impressed by the c12 nor the 45mr. the 45mr is definitely a quiet sounding guitar but it is a beautiful guitar to look at. also it is buit very heavily. compare the weights. 45mr weighs like a sack of bricks for some reason. the c12 was not characteristic at all but of course, ymmv. c9 and c10 is perhaps the sweet spot of value for this american company

Yamaha GL1

rsclosson

Post by rsclosson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 pm

Actually I did keep the C9. The decision is close to final and the C9 has won on just about every criteria.

rsclosson

Post by rsclosson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:49 pm

Forgot to mention that both have cedar tops

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:21 pm

I've owned a few Cordoba guitars over the years, including a C9, C10, and a C12. The C9 was the superior one of the bunch. The C12 was the most disappointing...

Great decision to keep the C9! Always best to assign the highest value to sound and playability, rather than aesthetics.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 am

Not to sound condescending, but I suggest you learn to evaluate a guitar without tonewood bias. The big box brands such as Cordoba and the stores that sell them will always try to up sell the premium tonewood option.

A few months ago I was in a chain music store and played very expensive 2500$ Raimundo Flamenco guitar with solid Cypress, it had a plastic lacquer finish much like Cordoba.

Then I played a 350$ Yahmaha flamenco guitar and you know what...it had lesser woods but was built a helluva lot lighter than Raimundo and sounded much more alive.

As DebussyChopin pointed out, an overbuilt guitar with so called better woulds is just that an overbuilt box without responsive character.

If by trade up you mean give your guitar back, for credit towards paying list price...screw that, keep what you have.

All too often these delusional attitudes exist that a more expensive, exotic wood is going to be better.

You should enjoy what you have.

JRomano

Post by JRomano » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:30 am

The comparison may have been a bit unfair, since you weren't comparing solid mahogany to solid rosewood. While the 45 might be visually more attractive, it is a plywood, nonetheless, and it's not going to deliver the same kind of sound that one made of solid rosewood, whatever variety, might do. That said, mahogany is known for providing a clear, bright tone, and you may just favour that, but I would think that to get a true comparison, you'll have to try solid vs. solid.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Used to own one of the old C9's that had the beautiful "3 dimensional" mahogany and ebony fingerboard... Looking back I probably made a mistake in letting it go. I've played some of Cordoba's espana line like the solista which costs significantly more, but I'd still choose my C9 any day. In fact I would choose my C9 over some high end luthier instruments that I've played. Don't let price, materials, factory vs. luthier, etc. fool you. I find that way too many classical guitars are way too particular when it comes to construction methods, tone woods, etc. We listen way too much with our heads and eyes than with our ears for sure. In the end, judge every guitar by its own merits, putting preconceived biases aside.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

rsclosson

Post by rsclosson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:39 pm

Actually, I had learned not to evaluate a guitar without bias a long time ago. Just thought I would share an experience.
MessyTendon wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 am
Not to sound condescending, but I suggest you learn to evaluate a guitar without tonewood bias. The big box brands such as Cordoba and the stores that sell them will always try to up sell the premium tonewood option.

A few months ago I was in a chain music store and played very expensive 2500$ Raimundo Flamenco guitar with solid Cypress, it had a plastic lacquer finish much like Cordoba.

Then I played a 350$ Yahmaha flamenco guitar and you know what...it had lesser woods but was built a helluva lot lighter than Raimundo and sounded much more alive.

As DebussyChopin pointed out, an overbuilt guitar with so called better woulds is just that an overbuilt box without responsive character.

If by trade up you mean give your guitar back, for credit towards paying list price...screw that, keep what you have.

All too often these delusional attitudes exist that a more expensive, exotic wood is going to be better.

You should enjoy what you have.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”