Asturias or Cervantes?

JGraff

Asturias or Cervantes?

Post by JGraff » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Soooo I'm in a dilema. Right now i'm on a Asturias AST 60. School Instrument. Needless to say the thing has spoiled me. The Warmth of the Basses, the clarity of the trebles. The sustain on the Bass A is 32 seconds. 16-20 before it becomes inaudable. It's quite the instrument. So much so it's turned me into a snob.

Long story short, i'm in a dilema between buying a higher quality Asturias, or going for a Cervantes Milenia. Which the Cervantes has the Elevated Fretboard and Lattuce, both things I feel are desirable.

The solution would be as simple as just going down to the music store and testing them out. But our Music centers are garbage in terms of Classical Guitar. Low End Cordoba and Low End Jose Ramirez. Both less than a 1/4th of what i'm playing now.

The Elevated Fretboard is a huge plus, tis why i'm entertaining a Brand i have no experience with. I could deal with slightly less Guitar over it. But if the other end meant more Guitar. The choice should be obvious.

rinneby

Re: Asturias or Cervantes?

Post by rinneby » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Asturias are great. However, I've only played the once from the 70s and 80s. Heard some great thing about Cervantes too. But I can't help to wonder: Why do you focus on just these two particular brands?

What is that you hope to gain with a new guitar? The AST-60 seems like a very fine instrument and you might have to put in considerable more, than a new Asturias/Cervantes, to really gain anything. But then again, impossible to say without trying.

/Jon
1962 - Rokutaro Nakade
1992 - Manuel Bellido
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:48 pm

I think it depends on the sound you want. The Asturias is likely to have a more traditional sound, the lattice will likely have a more modern sound.

Another question: do you like elevated fretboards? I have owned one in the past and I didn't particularly care for it all that much. I prefer the traditional instrument. That being said, it is something that you get used to and doesn't cause too many problems. However, it is something to think about.

The only way you might know the answer to this is to play some guitars and see if you like an elevated fretboard, even if it's not the same make/model. Just to get the feel and see what you like.

I usually hear only good things about both brands. So, it's unlikely you can go too far wrong. I don't think I have ever played a Cervantes, but I have played a couple Asturias guitars.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

JGraff

Post by JGraff » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Personally, Elevated Fretboard is something I loved playing on the time I got to play one. The ability to get above the 12th fret with ease was a big plus for me.

I've focused on the two brands specifically because one holds the features i'd like in an cheaper range than a luthier guitar, and the other holds the quality I know.
I'm really not comfortable with a Brand I haven't played, which is why I'm asking if Cervantes is as good as Asturias.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”