Decent quality short-scale production CG's

eschutz

Decent quality short-scale production CG's

Post by eschutz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:30 am

Hello. I'm thinking about a shorter-scale guitar, but in the $1000 range more or less. I have small-ish hands, around 8-1/4-in span thumb-tip to pinky-tip (comfortably stretched), and have read that I might benefit from a 640 mm or even a 628 mm CG instead of the usual 650 mm. I've always had trouble with bridging and stretches (e.g., in Anon's Romanza, 2nd part) -- of course I know lots of people have some trouble with these, but maybe mine is more than usual? Kenny Hill's short-scale New World Estudio's (and Player's) fit this bill. Are there others of similar quality?

Laudiesdad69

Re: Decent quality short-scale production CG's

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:01 am

I had a Kenny Hill New World Estudio in 640mm. They are one of the few short scale guitars that are super affordable. They are built in China. As far as quality goes, they are about like Cordoba. They are more expensive than Cordoba, but Cordoba doesn't have the options offered on the Hill. They are a good option I think.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:29 pm

I've played some pretty fantastic Cordoba C9 or C10 parlor guitars (630 scale with a 50mm nut). They don't lose much if any projection and volume from their standard size counterparts and they are very comfortable for the left hand if your hands are small. They are less expensive than the Kenny Hills and can easily hold their own against them. I also like how the Cordoba's have a truss rod. Trying before you buy or at least having a good return policy is always preferred which is readily available with Cordoba guitars unless you buy used.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

eschutz

Post by eschutz » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Thanks for the tips. I found a new Kenny Hill Player 628mm cedar top, 50mm nut width, in Maple Street Guitars (Atlanta - great place!) and went ahead & bought it. I had re-measured my hand and discovered my span was actually less than 8-in when *comfortably* stretched, and the Hill site recommends the 628 in that case. It is a sweet guitar and the reduced size - somewhere between 7/8 and full-size - doesn't noticeably affect the tone, as far as my old ears could tell, and is a bit easier to play.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Was it the same price as Kenny Hill’s website? Mine was a 640, but my hand size is about the same as yours. I was wondering about the 628 as I couldn’t really tell much difference between the 640 and my 650. If I get one, I won’t be able to try first as nobody in my area has them.

AdamRoth

Post by AdamRoth » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 am

I’ve been keeping my eye out for guitars like these for one of my students who is ready to get something bigger, but not full size. Córdoba makes one that’s around 280 bucks new, it’s 630 mm. That’s probably decent, if you’re just looking for a factory guitar that’s cheap.

If you’re looking for something nicer, I’d go Kenny Hill before the Córdoba C9 Parlor. Particularly if you could find a Player used.

There’s also a really interesting one by Matsuoka on Reverb, that’s in bad shape cosmetically but all-solid, pretty cheap and signed. $400, 628mm. Probably a tremendous value if the repaired cracks don’t scare you away.
My Bach lute suite videos:
995 www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSZXrFLmb7U
996 www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-BW0Jk2H4o
997 https://youtu.be/mQxCrdsmSTU <=New studio recording

BethFR

Post by BethFR » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:17 pm

AdamRoth wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 am
I’ve been keeping my eye out for guitars like these for one of my students who is ready to get something bigger, but not full size. Córdoba makes one that’s around 280 bucks new, it’s 630 mm. That’s probably decent, if you’re just looking for a factory guitar that’s cheap.

If you’re looking for something nicer, I’d go Kenny Hill before the Córdoba C9 Parlor. Particularly if you could find a Player used.

There’s also a really interesting one by Matsuoka on Reverb, that’s in bad shape cosmetically but all-solid, pretty cheap and signed. $400, 628mm. Probably a tremendous value if the repaired cracks don’t scare you away.
Just an FYI, I tried one of those inexpensive Cordoba's (Dolce model), and the one I got did not intonate properly, and the fret work was pretty bad.

BethFR

Post by BethFR » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:40 pm

AdamRoth wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 am

Should the cracks scare me away? (also I was looking for cedar, as I've got plenty of spruce guitars already.) But I'm really intrigued.

I like the Hill Players, but they are twice as expensive as the C9 parlors, not manageable for me right now.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:33 pm

FYI, I'll mention Pavan Guitars as having a model that's shorter scale (640mm) and is comparable in price to Kenny HIll New World Player's series. I haven't played one, so I can't comment on quality or value, but thought I might add it to the list for others to consider.

BethFR

Post by BethFR » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Is Tom Prisloe still around? I remember he kind of disappeared a few years back. I'm not sure Pavans come in 630.

danguyen64

Post by danguyen64 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi Adam,
Do you have the link to that Matsuoka short scale length guiar? I too have challenges with playing on a regular scale length guitar and would benefit from this( that if nobody else wants it).
Thanks,

AdamRoth

Post by AdamRoth » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 pm

I looked out of curiosity yesterday and I didn’t see it on Reverb anymore. It might’ve been sold.
My Bach lute suite videos:
995 www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSZXrFLmb7U
996 www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-BW0Jk2H4o
997 https://youtu.be/mQxCrdsmSTU <=New studio recording

MAK

Post by MAK » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:29 am

I hope I don't break any rules by what I am posting. I have a Hill New World Estudio 628 spruce top on consignment at a small guitar store in Albuquerque NM. The photo is on his web site and the price, but the owner of the store will bargain with anyone who is interested. It's in very good condition. I have it consigned because I had a custom guitar built.

I also have a New World Player 615 cedar top that I've contemplated selling, but I'm not ready to list either of them here. Send a private message if anyone is interested.

Michele

BethFR

Post by BethFR » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:56 pm

AdamRoth wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 pm
I looked out of curiosity yesterday and I didn’t see it on Reverb anymore. It might’ve been sold.
It was sold. I had a very nice interaction with the seller. Ultimately decided not to buy, but he sold it to someone else.

eschutz

Post by eschutz » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Well, I've had my Hill Player 628 (Cedar top) for a little while and I can report this: First, I'm just not sure the reduced scale length means all that much - well, maybe it does. But the guitar is smaller, it's something between a strict 7/8 and a full-size and that does matter significantly, people have noticed it, and I feel it playing, it's easier. Second, the narrower fingerboard (50mm) is definitely easier playing than the standard 52mm for my smaller hands. Third, the tone is great, not quite as bassy and boomy as the full size Hill Player I just got rid of (that one was an anomaly, I believe!), in fact lots of bass and projection, in my view as much as one would want.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”