Antonio Picado model 49

robithinker

Antonio Picado model 49

Post by robithinker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:44 pm

BEFD20DF-A47C-4D64-A49D-4DD9A0248307.jpeg
I am looking to get a new, cheap guitar with lower action than my 50 year old Yamaha, which sounds great, but which the strings measure 6mm at the 12th fret. Getting the Yamaha action adjusted here in Switzerland would almost certainly cost more than the guitar is worth, although it does have a lot of sentimental value. I found an Antonio Picado model 49 from 2001 for about 500 Francs. Googling shows that model as USD 1350 new, so ostensibly this would be a good deal. Above is a photo of the label. Anyone know anything about this guitar from that time period? For the money I would certainly want to play it first, especially to confirm the action is lower than my Yamaha. Would also try to haggle some on the price.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robithinker

Re: Antonio Picado model 49

Post by robithinker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:16 pm

I just found a Swiss website (where I live) that has a new model 49 for 995 francs, so I wouldn’t buy this unless I could get it for 400 or less.

robithinker

Post by robithinker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:51 am

No one familiar with Picado guitars? I could add the other pics, but I am not sure that would be of much help.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:00 am

I have a 45(but with solid sides like the 49,in 63cm),have had a also a 49 flamenca (in sandalwood) as a loan.

The 49 has a laminated back (2 layers of rosewood, it is not a crappy multi sandwich). still it has a proper ebony fretboard, and it is handmade at the picado workshop, if the guitar is near to new, in 500 francs ,the it is not half bad (bein like 425 euros...). This guitars are bang for the buck (try it 1st)

JFYI the biggest dealer of Picado in Spain is Casa Luthier in Barcelona,this guitar goes there for 664euro plus vat (115 more),so it is near 800 euro...

BTW this guitar is not 65cm,as it has the T6X in the label so it should be T63(cm) or T64(cm) (I mainly play 63cm right now, having 3 picados in that scale..)

robithinker

Post by robithinker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks Mr. Rain. You’re right, the seller confirmed it was 640 scale. Do you know what the nut size would be for that scale? I can’t find much info online and have not been able to reach the seller to ask. Not sure I would want to stray to far from standard sizing since I am learning. Although a smaller scale might be better for my wrists and help prevent carpal tunnel, which was an issue the last time I tried learning CG.

Also, the label seems to show it’s a 2001. So definitely not new.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:16 am

My Picado model 60 has scale 640 mm and width at nut 52 mm, string spacing there ca. 43,5 mm. After two years of playing my Picado, It opened so well and sounds so nice that I decided that my other guitar (I always keep two instruments) will be also a Picado and I look forward to receive my second guitar from Berga soon. It will also be with scale 640 mm and width at nut 52 mm.

I didn't play model 49 but I think that it is as good a guitar as other Picado guitars. Some remarks on the PIcado guitars are in the story of my "adventure" with Picado, and other Picado aficionados also contributed to this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=100300

I keep my fingers crossed for your satisfaction with this Picado model 49 -

Jacek
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:42 pm

I don't and never played a 49. But I own standard 650mm model 60 Spruce coming 1 year old soon. I bought it blindly, still in love. Like it very much. Mr Rain is right about Casa. You may consider write to them option to buy a new Picado (if you can)!
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Esteve Mod 1.4ST Spruce 2003
Ryoji Matsuoka M20 Cedar 1978
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:09 pm

I like my Picado 2AF...in fact I like it so much that it is in need of it's first fret dressing, or maybe second, since I got it used I don't know, but I like it.

Picado's are nice, much better than anything in the student range...budget class guitar if you will.

robithinker

Post by robithinker » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:57 am

I’m currently trying to arrange a time with the seller to see and play the guitar. Looks like we’ll be around the 450 franc range, which is about 400 euros. It’s a 16 year old guitar.

I originally thought the problem with my current Yamaha was that the action was too high. However, after taking it to a guitar shop and remeasuring, I found out it’s about 4.25mm at the 12th fret, so not exceedingly high. I played a few other guitars and noticed that the discomfort in my hand went away when the neck was thicker. Are the Picado’s more of a D or C shape? Also, which shape is thicker? :)

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:40 pm

robithinker wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:57 am
I’m currently trying to arrange a time with the seller to see and play the guitar. Looks like we’ll be around the 450 franc range, which is about 400 euros. It’s a 16 year old guitar.

I originally thought the problem with my current Yamaha was that the action was too high. However, after taking it to a guitar shop and remeasuring, I found out it’s about 4.25mm at the 12th fret, so not exceedingly high. I played a few other guitars and noticed that the discomfort in my hand went away when the neck was thicker. Are the Picado’s more of a D or C shape? Also, which shape is thicker? :)
As far as i remember my model 62 was around 22-22.5mm at the 1st fret(it was the regular neck not custom ordered)

In the ones made to order I have asked for 21mm for my Concierto(ebony and carbon fiber reinforced) and 20.5mm for my Torres 1864 (just stiff selected cedar no reinforcement). Also asked for a thin neck in the 45 (it is 21mm but a bit chunkier in shape still way slimmer than the 62)...

robithinker

Post by robithinker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:29 pm

Well, I went today to play the guitar. I didn‘t find the neck to be dramatically thicker than my Yamaha, but I did sit and play the Picado for about 20 minutes and found it to be more comfortable nevertheless. I finally decided to buy it. The finish is in excellent condition, with no scratches anywhere except for a couple very minor ones on the back side of the neck where the thumb would be in the first position. I tapped around the body extensively to check for loose braces and didn‘t find any (I think). It‘s 17 years old and it looks almost new. I did notice that when I run my hand along the edges of the neck, the frets stick out just a tiny bit. Not sure what, if anything, I should do about that. The frets looked almost new. Also, the low e string tuning peg is more difficult to turn than the rest. Otherwise, I played it for about an hour and find the tone really beautiful. Certainly a significant improvement over my old Yamaha. That‘s with what I assume is 17 year old strings. I imagine it will sound much better with new strings. Suggestions on strings for a beginner certainly welcome. :P

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:53 pm

Congratulations on purchase of this Picado 49, it is a pity that it is not model 60 , but I never heard about negative experiences with any model of these guitars.And it may happen then some instruments from the "inferior" line may be better instruments then these coming from higher, more expensive lines.

The frets sticking out/protruding a bit - this happens often when the guitar is kept in dry environment, and the wood of the fretboard shrinks exposing the tips of the frets; the simplest cure would be to keep the guitar in properly humidified environment - good hard case closing tight with humidifiers inside so the humidity will be 50-60%. The tuners may be in a need of little lubrication with oil used for precise mechanism.

About the strings - well, I am sure that many players will reccomend different strings; quite neutral are popular D'Addario J 45. I am myself for low tension strings like LaBella 2001 light tension or Augustine - here I am happy with combination: bass strings - Augustine Black, trebles - Augustine Imperial.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:44 pm

For strings, if in doubt, the D'Addario EJ 45 are a reliable choice.

Sticking out frets ends can be fixed by filing. As Jacek says the cause is shrinkage due to humidity changes. Filing the ends of the frets is simple enough, nevertheless it is probably better to leave it to an expert. One slip of the file and the top of your guitar will never look the same again. :-)

Look up the model number of your Yamaha. Some of those older ones might well be worth spending money on.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:51 pm

- about the protruding frets ends - as @simonm says. I would just wait some time before using file, I would begin with trust in natural reaction of wood when proper humidity will be around the instrument. I say sa because I know some cases that the proper humidification made the element of wood (here - fretboard) to return to it's original shape/dimensions.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:34 am

Congratulation! :bravo:
I tried few strings on my model 60 spruce, Augustine MT, La bella MT, EJ45, and the original string came along Savarez Alliance 540J. Among these, I dislike the 540J carbon the most which sound unnatural kind of feeling. Currently I am still with Savarez Contiga 510CR NT, I think it already more than 6 months now the metal wounded bass string still in good shade, especially the most fragile D string. I am using this 540CR on both my guitar now with good bass and treble.
My next string to try is Aguila Alabastro 19C once the 510CR get really rusty :lol:
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Esteve Mod 1.4ST Spruce 2003
Ryoji Matsuoka M20 Cedar 1978
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”