Advice on Guitar Selections

denandannie

Advice on Guitar Selections

Post by denandannie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:35 pm

I have yet to select a classical guitar. With so many choices its been overwhelming. I am planning to spend around 2k. In my research I like the guitars from Hanika and Jose Ramirez. Does anyone have any insight into these choices? Feed back is greatly appreciated.

simonm

Re: Advice on Guitar Selections

Post by simonm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:00 pm

You will get lots of contradictory advice. About the only two things everyone here agrees on are:

1) look at used instruments,
2) play and listen to as many as you can.

I will leave concrete suggestions to others.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:03 am

2k won’t buy a whole lot of Ramirez, unless you buy used. I have a 4NE that I bought last year new for $2199.00, but it had been hanging up at my friends music store since 2011, and that was after he chopped nearly a grand off the price to make it move. I had a 125anyos that I bought from him used for $1400.00, and a 2NE for $850.00. Both of those were used.

Keep in mind that if you buy one that hadn’t been set up yet, as would be the case with a new one for sure, that the action comes really high on those guitars, and you may have to have a lower saddle installed.

The workmanship was quite good on those guitars, they just needed to be set up. You might be able to score a Guitarra del Tiempo for around your budget, but beware, they come with Chinese Ping tuners. They use Van Gent on their more expensive guitars. So again, try to find one used if you decide to go with Ramirez.

denandannie

Post by denandannie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:42 am

Dulcet.com sells a Del Tiempo for 2284.00, with the cheapo Ping tuners, as you mentioned. I also like the Armin Hanika. I'm on a fixed income, so a high end guitar is not possible. I may go the used route, as is suggested in this forum.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:57 am

If you're checking out Dulcet.com and are considering something new, check out the Amalio Burguet 2M for $1850.

From what I've read the 2M is a good guitar. I'm certainly ecstatic with my 1A. I think he's got a video on his site of him playing a 2M.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

denandannie

Made My Selection

Post by denandannie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:35 pm

I've made my final selection. I am going to have a guitar custom made by Joseph Redman. It may take awhile to receive, but it will be worth it to have a guitar made just the way I want.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:57 am

Coincidentally there's a Redman that just went up for sale in the 'for sale' section. A 2016 concert level for $2100.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”