Kamouraska Concert Etude Query '79

filmic

Kamouraska Concert Etude Query '79

Post by filmic » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:57 am

Hi
I bought a '79 Kamouraska Concert Etude (this is a pre-Godin/LaPatrie) It's made by hand in Quebec/Canada. It sounds great at from the 9th fret to the top of the neck. The tone is rich. Above that it's a bit difficult. The strings are 3.5mm from the top of the 12th fret which it's supposed to be, I understand.

The tuning heads leave a bit to be desired specifically on the B string. But the guitar doesn't untune even after playing for an hour (sometimes the B string does and there is a lot of play on the tuner.) I have a BOSS auto tuner.

Is it just my lack of conditioning that's making it difficult on the higher frets? The top of my left hand gets sore and of course getting the arpeggio's coordinated are a challenge. Or, is all this to be expected.

I have a new set of D'Addario EJ46 (hard tension) on the guitar when bought. I bought a set of Savarez HT 540R's
Will that change the guitar's action?

Other than it's provenance, does anyone understand it's construction strengths or caveats?

thanks for addressing this noobie's queries.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Re: Kamouraska Concert Etude Query '79

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:15 pm

No idea but Godin/Seagull has a great stash of Cedar...upper frets are always a work out on a classical, even with an elevated fingerboard, a cut away really helps. But enjoy it.

Action will remain the same. Try medium Ej45 or low tension Savarez 520B...those are the classical no frills sets of strings.

filmic

Post by filmic » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:30 pm

M.T.

thanks for the insight. I really do enjoy my guitar... response appreciated.

filmic

Post by filmic » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:37 pm

My teacher liked it and thought it was decent to learn on. I asked him if I should upgrade and he said it wasn't necessary. He's Spanish trained Brazilian fellow with an MFA in classical guitar. He can really play beautifully. I'm going to put normal tension strings on next time.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”