Alhambra vs other equivalently priced CG's

eschutz

Alhambra vs other equivalently priced CG's

Post by eschutz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:48 pm

I will have an opportunity to try out several Alhambra CG's this week. Does anyone have any thoughts on these in comparison to, say, Cordova's or Kenny Hill's of equivalent price?

souldier

Re: Alhambra vs other equivalently priced CG's

Post by souldier » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:03 pm

I have found Alhambra's to have a nice warm and full sound to them. The Cordoba's also lean in this direction, but Alhambra's more so. This can make them more forgiving, but may be perceived as muddy while lacking that sparkle in the trebles. It all really depends on the taste and preferences of the player. It also depends on which models you'll be trying. Either way, they are quite good value for the money.

Since you get to try them in person, my opinion doesn't really matter. Bring your current guitar with you and compare them side by side.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

dta721

Post by dta721 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:09 pm

souldier wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:03 pm
I have found Alhambra's to have a nice warm and full sound to them... (snip) ... but may be perceived as muddy while lacking that sparkle in the trebles...
I can relate to this concise tone description! :okok:

fraim

Post by fraim » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:37 am

i have an alhambra 4p & think it can sound very good in the right hands. i consider myself an intermediate player (moving from being a note player to a musician) & can get some good sounds. my teacher can really make it sing however.

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:01 am

Alhambra is a bit deeper in tone and lighter feeling compared to their Cordoba equivalents. You'll probably wonder "what if" if you choose Cordoba over Alhambra in your case, but won't even think of Cordoba if you choose Alhambra over Cordoba and eventually enjoy playing it.

Yamaha GL1

eschutz

Post by eschutz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:24 pm

Good points. I tried the Alhambras, did not like them compared to the Cordobas I was familiar with (C10, C9, GK Studio). Next time I will take your advice & bring my own along for comparison - very important!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”