Cordoba Solista vs C10

McGee

Cordoba Solista vs C10

Post by McGee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Anybody compare these two? Thanks

Williams

Re: Cordoba Solista vs C10

Post by Williams » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:29 am

I have a c 10 and love it but found a Solista on e bay and want to buy it, love the Cordobas hope you get allot of response on this

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:40 pm

I have tried both side by side and am quite familiar with Cordoba guitars in general. Personally preferred the C10. With the Solista you're paying for the "Made in Spain" designation, but you're not necessarily getting more guitar for your money. The C10 is often criticized for being made in China, but who cares if you have a better product? I find the C10 to be more responsive, balanced, and colorful with more comfortable playability for the left hand. The Solista was warm but wasn't all that interesting to me personally. Someone recently made a post in this section remarking how they were surprised to discover they much preferred their C9 over the Espana 45 guitar even though it was more expensive as well.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

McGee

Post by McGee » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks guys

bauersachs82

Post by bauersachs82 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:58 pm

I own a C10 but got a chance to play on a Solista for about 30 minutes today. The Solista played great! It felt much better for my left hand than my C10. With that being said, I feel like my C10 has a bigger more open sound. The Solista seemed heavier and the sound was more dense/dull. As souldier said, it is warm and it was the spruce model with the stock Savarez strings which I find bright on my C10 Spruce. I really did enjoy how the neck felt though. :)

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm not sure what's different in the build construction, but the Solista is definitely much heavier than the C10.

I've got the Cedar topped Solista, it was dense for the first month or so of playing. I'm not sure if it was a change of strings or what occurred, but suddenly the guitar opened up and it sounded great.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2015 Simon & Patrick Showcase CH HG

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:21 pm

bauersachs82 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:58 pm
I own a C10 but got a chance to play on a Solista for about 30 minutes today. The Solista played great! It felt much better for my left hand than my C10. With that being said, I feel like my C10 has a bigger more open sound. The Solista seemed heavier and the sound was more dense/dull. As souldier said, it is warm and it was the spruce model with the stock Savarez strings which I find bright on my C10 Spruce. I really did enjoy how the neck felt though. :)
Goes to show that perceived playability of a guitar can really differ from person to person. I much prefer the thin C shaped neck profile of the Cordoba C10 versus the thicker U shaped neck of the Solista. But I guess this just really depends on hand size, playing style, etc.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

McGee

Post by McGee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Hey guys- I'm a little confused about the neck shape. The specs on the Cordoba site are saying that the neck shape
for the C10 and Solista are both C shape. Do people who have played both find the two neck shapes feel different?
I found a store that has a C10, C12, and Solista in stock. I'm going up with my instructor next Saturday to test drive
them. I am currently playing a very early Steve Connor hauser borrowed off my instructor. It has a very big D shape
neck that was sort of intimidating at first but now I don't even notice it. I'm curious now as to how the C shape neck
is going to feel.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 pm

McGee wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:52 pm
Hey guys- I'm a little confused about the neck shape. The specs on the Cordoba site are saying that the neck shape
for the C10 and Solista are both C shape. Do people who have played both find the two neck shapes feel different?
I found a store that has a C10, C12, and Solista in stock. I'm going up with my instructor next Saturday to test drive
them. I am currently playing a very early Steve Connor hauser borrowed off my instructor. It has a very big D shape
neck that was sort of intimidating at first but now I don't even notice it. I'm curious now as to how the C shape neck
is going to feel.
The website says they are different: https://www.cordobaguitars.com/live-pla ... ck-styles/

Look at the diagram on the left. The dotted line shows the neck profile of the Luthier series vs the U shape of the Espana series. THe only way to know which one you will prefer is to actually try them in person. Try to play your most difficult pieces that include difficult barre chords and stretches, and then see which guitar you prefer. My theory is that people with smaller hands would probably prefer the thinner C shaped neck profile while individuals with larger hands will prefer the thicker D shape... there are other factors of course.

McGee

Post by McGee » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 am

Thanks

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:17 am

Hi McGee,
I don't have Solista or C10, but I do have an S-stock "Raimundo 150 Especial" that in fact is a Cordoba Solista. Raimundo 150s are not line-produced guitars. You can verify my claim by googling the model name. Mine features gorgeous looking French polish and a truss rod, and is good enough but not excellent for public performances, as further discussed hereafter.

As for the guitar, it is nicer than my production line Raimundo (145 flamenca blanca) in terms of appearance and feel, with French polish (145f has polyurethane finish and kind of little cheesier), but both 145 and 150 sound good (but maybe not excellent for discerning ears...) for concerts, if you are not competing for GFA.
It is not that loud (mine is a cedar one) and sounds more of historic cedar guitars than newer doble tapa guitars. But that also means it doesn't have the nasal sound that I do not particularly appreciate. It sounds clear and deep/warm with sparkling high-end and loud yet tight low-end frequency ranges.
The only concern upon my purchase decision was, Raimundo 150 Especial (that is Solista) has a truss rod that is un-traditional at all. But so far I have not seen any difference from the guitars without it.

There are brands that seem to be from one single factory, such as:

* Ramirez (some models), Cordoba Espana, Louis Romero, Salamanca (= Raimundo)
* Almansa (= Alhambra)
* BM, Admira, Aria, Alvaro, etc. (= Enrique Keller)
And so on and so forth (but again please verify my claim by yourself).

This fact may come into play if you are a student, or if you have a student in need of a good guitar, because they have different price tags and you might have a luck getting the same spec guitars for less.

Lastly but not the least, I do find Japanese/Korean/Chinese guitars sound good, except that, they still bite dusts somewhat when I need the ff range volume and up oftentimes. Some Spanish brands have outsourced to Korea and PRC, but it's more like when we travel through Europe, We buy key rings saying "Rome" or "Paris" but they may be all from PRC... It's increasingly difficult to find something NOT from PRC.

I hope this helps you, and cheers. :bye:

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”