How to Measure the Guitar?

PeteJ

How to Measure the Guitar?

Post by PeteJ » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Could someone explain the correct way to measure scale-length, neck-width, string-spacing etc, so I can put the specs up for a guitar I'm selling. Many thanks.

Beowulf

Re: How to Measure the Guitar?

Post by Beowulf » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Scale = Vibrating string distance between the nut and the saddle (if the saddle is compensated this will vary slightly between E and e).

F0 = Width of neck at the nut.

F12 = Width of neck at the 12 fret.

String spacing = Distance, center to center, between low and high E strings at the saddle (One can also measure the distance at the nut).

UB = Width of upper bout.

LB = Width of lower bout.

WW = Width of waist.

BL = Length of body.

TD = Body depth at top.

WD = Body depth at waist.

BD = Body depth at bottom.

SH = Soundhole diameter.

N1 = Depth of neck and fingerboard at 1st fret.

N9 = Depth of neck and fingerboard at 9th fret.

N.B. All taken from "A Collection of Fine Spanish Guitars from Torres to the Present" by Sheldon Urlik.

There are other measurements one can make, however I would pick the ones that are most often used in listings...or do them all if you like.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:27 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:32 pm
Could someone explain the correct way to measure scale-length, neck-width, string-spacing etc, so I can put the specs up for a guitar I'm selling. Many thanks.
For the scale there are 2 things to do. Measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double it. If it is a standard guitar it will be 2 x325 (650) or possible 2 x 320 (640). The check the complete length to the saddle. This will usually turn out to be 1-2mm longer. So it might be 651 on the treble and 652 on the bass. This however is a 650 scale not a 652. If it is an older guitar, you may have a longer scale and then also likely a wider fretboard but the principle is the same.

For the neck width, the easiest is to use a caliper. Typically you will have 52mm. The range there is likely 49mm to 54mm. People tend to giver this rounded to .5mm so you might see 51.5 or 52.5.

For the string spacing the caliper is also good. Some people might be interested in how much space there is from the edge of the fingerboard to the high e-string.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Many thanks. This is just what I needed.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”