Yamaha 'TransAcoustic' Tech in Classical Guitars

Two Left Hands

Yamaha 'TransAcoustic' Tech in Classical Guitars

Post by Two Left Hands » Tue May 22, 2018 3:44 pm

I am awaiting a response from Yamaha regarding an email I sent to ask if this was a possibility in the near future.
I am just curious what more expert players think of this possibility as from the various videos and reviews I have read 'sheer joy' and amazement seem to be the norm with the steel string version currently available. With users stating that it would encourage them to look forward to picking up their guitar and playing more as well as enjoying the 'fun' of it.
At a good price point for an all wooden guitar it would probably be a decent seller?
Yamaha C40

janepaints

Re: Yamaha 'TransAcoustic' Tech in Classical Guitars

Post by janepaints » Tue May 22, 2018 4:13 pm

Several owners of TransAcoustic guitars have reported gizmo failure (via guitar forums).....ditto for the 'tonerite' device....

regardless of the merits of such technology, keep this in mind: how many non-guitar electronic devices have you owned which suddenly died, or parts of said devices failed, in fairly short amounts of time--6 months, 1-2-3 years etc.?.....i've owned many such devices.

i have no bias against electronic guitar effects per se...but ones which are INTEGRAL to the actual guitar seem like accidents waiting to happen, and are perhaps best avoided.

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Tue May 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Had to look this up since I'd never heard of it. I don't see it taking off in the classical guitar world--we're a stodgy bunch. To be a little more serious, I'm not sure that reverb or chorus effects are things that most classical players are looking for in a guitar. Chorus would seem counterproductive to all the effort we put into clearly articulating notes and voices, and maybe the same could be said of reverb. Now, if it could make the guitar louder . . .
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Two Left Hands

Post by Two Left Hands » Tue May 22, 2018 4:42 pm

It does make the guitar louder via the third button.
Yamaha C40

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 pm

Two Left Hands wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:44 pm
I am awaiting a response from Yamaha regarding an email I sent to ask if this was a possibility in the near future….
Maybe you could give the rest of us a hint as to what "TransAcoustic" means? I have heard of TransVestites, Trans Fats and Trans Atlantic but Trans Acoustic is new to me. :-)

Two Left Hands

Post by Two Left Hands » Tue May 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Quick answer - an amplified sound from within the guitar ran by two batteries, no need for an amp.
Yamaha C40

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Tue May 22, 2018 10:19 pm

It is a cut down version of the original piano TA which has many more features. Unfortunately the steel string version only has reverb & chorus but no volume control.

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Tue May 22, 2018 10:49 pm

simonm wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 pm
Two Left Hands wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:44 pm
I am awaiting a response from Yamaha regarding an email I sent to ask if this was a possibility in the near future….
Maybe you could give the rest of us a hint as to what "TransAcoustic" means? I have heard of TransVestites, Trans Fats and Trans Atlantic but Trans Acoustic is new to me. :-)
Google (or youtube) is your friend here. It's an interesting idea, especially for steel string where reverb/chorus may be a sound people are after (from my reading, it seems that the volume knob is only for the line out--so no acoustic boost there). I'm still not sure that it's all that useful or desirable for most classical guitarists, but maybe I'm just old-fashioned that way.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Tue May 22, 2018 11:17 pm

I played one last year and it was cool to have effects on the guitar, but they're not a proper effects pedal which is fully adjustable. I already have effects so it's not really something I would use.

That being said, if it gets people interested in playing guitar I don't see anything wrong with it. A bit gimmicky for me but sometimes gimmicks create whole new genres of music, accidentally.

I don't see nylon string guitars or classical music really benefitting from effects however, as it's really more about the notes and what you can do with them. But maybe that's just me? Maybe people want their Bach to sound like it's being played at the bottom of the Grand Canyon?

And don't get me started on the guitar sellers who put reverb on their sound samples. That's false advertising!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue May 22, 2018 11:29 pm

simonm wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 pm

And I thought it might be related to 'crossover' guitar :lol:
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed May 23, 2018 1:09 am

A battery-powered amplified guitar, with sound effects? Sorry, but that's not a "classical guitar" at all, in my books.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Wed May 23, 2018 9:55 am

Look into a product called Tonewood Amp. It works on a similar principal

I've got one, easily transferred from one guitar to another.

Small brace placed inside the guitar on the back has magnets in it.

The amp sits on the outside back held by the magnets.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba C-10 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe

chrispeppler
Amateur luthier

Post by chrispeppler » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:26 pm

Yamaha recently launched their range of transacoustic guitars at the 2019 NAMM. There are two classical guitars among them, the CG-TA and the CFS-TA The TA options are chorus, reverb, and volume (only when fed through an amp). The wood used is perhaps questionable, so I am guessing that the target market is not the serious CG fraternity.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:43 am

Dave Stott wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:55 am
Look into a product called Tonewood Amp.
That company have been very active lately (as evidenced by their Facebook page), supporting many artists who navigate the vague waters between classical and pop/folk/whatever. Most are technical virtuosi and many are inspiring musicians on top of that.
I still hesitate whether or not I find this more than just a gimmick (comparable to a prepared piano) that appeals to the geek in me, but I presume you can also use the thing to adapt your sound to make the most of your technique and instrument in a given acoustic situation.

Of course you also have to accept to install a pickup somewhere.
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:28 pm

I've tried this on a steel string. Found the concept interesting. I could imagine it might sell for those who use the nylon string guitar for jazz, etc. but for a more traditional classical guitar player, it would not be appealing. The classical guitar is all about producing that natural acoustic tone and a device like this might make it sound artificial and electronic. This is why amplifying a classical guitar is such a controversial topic in the CG community.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”