Any have experience with a Daniel Bernaert Guitar?

Phillymike

Any have experience with a Daniel Bernaert Guitar?

Post by Phillymike » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:58 pm

I have the opportunity to pick up a used Daniel Bernaert Classical Guitar and was wondering if anyone had experience with either playing and/or owning one? Just looking for generalized impressions. I've played it, and it's lovely, but seeing as this would be my first really good classical, I'm looking for input. (Just, FYI, Bernaert is a Belgian currently making guitars in Murcia, Spain.) Thanks.

Kevin Dunn

Re: Any have experience with a Daniel Bernaert Guitar?

Post by Kevin Dunn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:49 am

I am also new here.
I researched a little in the background of Danial Bernaert. A performer and professor practising lutherie seem not usual for me. How does it sound? Curious-how much as a used Model? What wood is used you know? Cheers.
1996 Claude Guibord, Spruce/BRW; 1982 Ramirez Estudio, Cedar/IRW.

Phillymike

Post by Phillymike » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, Kevin. I was starting to feel a little lonely here.

I did end up buying the Bernaert. As I mentioned in the original post, it has a lovely tone, very sweet. Not a tremendously loud guitar, but as I play at home, that's fine for me. The top is European spruce and the back and sides are Indian Rosewood. In terms of value, it's hard to find comparable sales, but I would guess if you could find one, it would be the in the US $4k to $4.5k range (and that's a total guess). I got mine from a motivated local seller who had his Bernaert up for sale at The Classical Guitar Store here in Philadelphia. I've attached a link to the page that contains more details about the guitar as well as some photos.

If you search for Bernaert you'll likely come across a nice video of him in his workshop and around his home in Murcia, Spain.

http://www.classicalguitarstore.com/daniel-bernaert/

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:47 pm

I don't have any experience personally with his guitars but a fellow delcamper, Kacper Wierzchoś, plays one.

Here's a recording of his that was very well received:

"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

Phillymike

Post by Phillymike » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks for posting that. Just beautiful.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Phillymike wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:58 pm
I have the opportunity to pick up a used Daniel Bernaert Classical Guitar and was wondering if anyone had experience with either playing and/or owning one? Just looking for generalized impressions. I've played it, and it's lovely, but seeing as this would be my first really good classical, I'm looking for input. (Just, FYI, Bernaert is a Belgian currently making guitars in Murcia, Spain.) Thanks.
Hi,

I tried several of his guitars (both cedar and spruce) and met him several times. All were interesting and sounded a bit like Ana Espinosa's first guitars (from around 1998 - I had one of them): delicate, musical (easy to differentiate tone colours and dynamics - although not as much dynamic levels as the very few best, non traditional/Torres guitars). Highly recommended.

Kevin Dunn

Post by Kevin Dunn » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:55 pm

Kacper Wierzchoś plays every elegance out of the Danial Berneart. But it is still difficult unfortunately to tell quality in terms of dynamics and power.
1996 Claude Guibord, Spruce/BRW; 1982 Ramirez Estudio, Cedar/IRW.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:52 pm

Kevin Dunn wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:55 pm
Kacper Wierzchoś plays every elegance out of the Danial Berneart. But it is still difficult unfortunately to tell quality in terms of dynamics and power.
True - the best way to accomplish that is to play one!
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”