Lost and Found and...

Kaius

Lost and Found and...

Post by Kaius » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:24 am

Hi,
I've been playing guitar for decades now. It's part of how I self define myself. Deeply embedded. I was arranging with my youngest who is 11 to give him a guitar lesson today. So I went to look for my classical guitar and, lo and behold, I can't find it anywhere in the house. I've searched every room from the basement to the top floor and the rather nice black case I bought to protect this particular guitar 12 years ago has disappeared. So I've lost my classical guitar but I found the desire to play it...

I'm going to have to buy a new one. Or rather my lovely family are going to club together and buy me a new guitar for Christmas.

What advice do people offer to someone buying a classical guitar in 2018 in the UK?

Kaius

Trev

Re: Lost and Found and...

Post by Trev » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:50 am

I'd definitely speak to David Merrin if you wish to buy direct from luthier, he has a website for details.
Also, Stafford Guitar Centre for advice and purchase.
Robert Welford 1978
Alvarez Yairi 1981
Takamine Hirade H20 1995

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 am

What sort of price are you hoping to pay? As you live in Sheffield the first name that comes to mind is James Lister but are you looking for a luthier guitar?
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Buster

Post by Buster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:58 am

Biggest question is what budget?

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Kaius wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:24 am
Hi,
I've been playing guitar for decades now. It's part of how I self define myself. Deeply embedded. I was arranging with my youngest who is 11 to give him a guitar lesson today. So I went to look for my classical guitar and, lo and behold, I can't find it anywhere in the house. I've searched every room from the basement to the top floor and the rather nice black case I bought to protect this particular guitar 12 years ago has disappeared. So I've lost my classical guitar but I found the desire to play it...

I'm going to have to buy a new one. Or rather my lovely family are going to club together and buy me a new guitar for Christmas.

What advice do people offer to someone buying a classical guitar in 2018 in the UK?

Kaius
There was a recent ‘price lowered’ posting on Delcamp for a Christopher Dean Guitar. Dean makes wonderful concert instruments.
Best of luck.
Jack
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Kaius

Post by Kaius » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:48 pm

HI All,
Thanks for the replies - budget... not much unfortunately... £300.00 I'd say.

Buster

Post by Buster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Look up Altamira guitars, excellent for the price

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:45 pm

At that price range I'd definitely look used. Not quite sure what is available in the UK. I might look into Camps guitars
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Kaius

Post by Kaius » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:40 pm

I've been considering a Yamaha...
What do people say about them?
With such a limted budget - of course the fact of the matter is I'll be choosing live and on the basis of what feels and sounds good.

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:56 pm

Japanese guitars generally are well built and represent good value for money. I have two but no experience of Yamaha. There is a wide range of used Yamaha out there, all the way up to top concert models.
Robert Welford 1978
Alvarez Yairi 1981
Takamine Hirade H20 1995

RobertSz

Post by RobertSz » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:20 pm

I recommend ESTEVE guitars.

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:33 pm

Kaius wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:40 pm
I've been considering a Yamaha...
What do people say about them?
With such a limted budget - of course the fact of the matter is I'll be choosing live and on the basis of what feels and sounds good.
I've played a few of the Yamaha Grand Concert (GC) series. Namely the GC12, GC22, GC32. They are great guitars in their own right and are quite consistent and are good value for the money. It all really depends on if they have the sound you are looking for or not. In terms of the lower end CG range, they are decent budget guitars but I'd personally look elsewhere at that price range.

If you'll be choosing a guitar you can play in person, then I would try to go in as blind as possible so as not to judge a guitar based on brand, price, looks, woods used, etc.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:15 am

Yamaha make great guitars for the $$. You can find them second hand for very little, try them out when you see them, you may find one that the sound truely surpasses the dollar value. I came across a cg220 like that, I paid $100 for it, and it sounds awesome. Guitars are like that, you really need to try them, sometimes the one you least expect, will speak to you :)
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

Kaius

Post by Kaius » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks, helpful reply - let's see - I could do with not spending too much - you know what it's like - playing is so much more important than the price (even handmade quality) of the guitar - so a bargain goodie is what I need! I'll let you know if I hit jackpot - may take a while or my patience may break when I've a credit card in my hot little hand!

Kaius

Post by Kaius » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:41 pm

RobertSz wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:20 pm
I recommend ESTEVE guitars.
too pricey for me - I' need a kind patron!
Thanks though for the idea - I can but dream...

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”