Adalid Torres vs Cordoba Torres vs Jellinghaus Torres

RobertSz

Adalid Torres vs Cordoba Torres vs Jellinghaus Torres

Post by RobertSz » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:11 pm

I am a guitar playing amateur. At the moment I have Esteve 9c/b and Esteve 11 guitars. I really like the sound of Torres guitars. I would like to know if anyone has had the opportunity to compare Torres copies made by the following luthiers: Adalid, Cordoba, Jellinghaus, Martinez, Cervantes. I would be grateful for any information.

souldier

Re: Adalid Torres vs Cordoba Torres vs Jellinghaus Torres

Post by souldier » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:08 pm

Owned a Cordoba Torres that I liked quite a bit. Never got to compare it with other torres replicas though. Michael Thames makes a some great Torres based guitars as well.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

RobertSz

Post by RobertSz » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:37 pm

Souldier: Thank you for information. I like sound of Torres guitar copies from Ambridge, Thames, Bernabe, Ray, but they are very expensive. I'm looking for a guitar for no more than 3,500 euros. On YouTube I've heard how Adalid Torres guitar sounds and I like it. I would like to compare this guitar to Jellinghaus, Martinez, Cordoba, or Cervantes guitars, for example.

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Haven't played the others. If ever you go for the cordoba, definitely look at the used market. You'll be able to get a really good deal significantly lower than the full price.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

RobertSz

Post by RobertSz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:11 pm

I have a question to souldier.
Have you tried guitars with 640mm and 650mm scale length? Is there a notable difference between them (in terms of volume, projection, sustain)?
I have found a guitar store "La Guitarra Buena" in Amsterdam (Netherlands) on the Internet. It has variety of Torres guitars made by different luthiers in the stock. If someone here had a chance to compare these guitars and wants to share their impression I would be very grateful.

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:44 pm

I've tried a wide range of scale lengths. A guitars scale length is just one small piece of the puzzle that doesn't have a huge bearing upon volume/projection/sustain. It is quite possible to play a 630 scale guitar that has more volume, etc. than a 660 scale guitar. So if I were you, I probably wouldn't pay much attention to scale length and just focus on getting the guitar that sounds/feels right. Even when it comes to playability, scale length probably isn't the most important factor. Case in point, even though I have small hands and would generally prefer a 630-640 scale guitar, I find my 660 scale guitar to be very playable and more comfortable than many other standard and short scale guitars that I've played.

RobertSz

Post by RobertSz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Thank you for information.

David Conti

Post by David Conti » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:30 pm

Kenny Hill makes a very nice Torres guitar and is much better than a Cordoba. The Cordobas are around $3300.00 while the Hill is around $5000.00 depending on the woods.The Hill is all French polish while the Cordoba is Lacquer. The Adalid is also nice and Cervantes does not make a Torres but does make a Hauser.

RobertSz

Post by RobertSz » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks for information. I've listened to the recording of this guitar on the Internet and I like the sound very much. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find this guitar in Europe, so I don't think I will have an opportunity to play it.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:59 pm

As far as I know Jellinghaus is behind a number of brands. I have never seen anything in his own name. I think the "Milestones" brand that you see in Europe is his. One player I know in Germany was quite impressed by the Milestones guitars he tried in Düsseldorf (or nearby). Siccas have then on their website too. No personal experience.

Guero

Post by Guero » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:37 pm

If only the "Milestones"label inside wouldn't be so.. tasteless.
I would remove it. (and stick another, invented one in it. By the way, is there any thread on the design of labels?!)

RobertSz

Post by RobertSz » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks for information! I hope that next year I will be able to travel to Germany, Amsterdam or Spain to try playing some of these guitars.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:22 am

I tried Córdoba Torres 640, Jellinghaus Torres 640, 650 and others...
If possible, you have to try by yourself. Because their shape of necks are different, playability is different to individual.

Everyone has his own preference!
Otto Vowinkel Concert 650, C/BRW; Córdoba C9 650, MH
Paulino Bernabe Torres 645, S/Birds-Eye MP
Juan Hernandez Torres 640, S/IRW, Sweet Tone 640, S/RWLam
German V. Rubio Concert 635, S/Flamed MP
Kenny Hill Performance 630, DT(s/c,lattice)/Flamed MP

FRS

Post by FRS » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:24 am

I went to Guitarra Buena about a month ago, also to play torres type guitars:

Manuel Adalid Torres, this was a more modern sounding Torres. Played very comfortable (64cm scale) and had good projection.
Jellinghaus Torres, this was really much a more traditional 'period correct' sounding guitar. It had a higher action that appearently is also period correct, but still played pretty easy.

After that I played a Bernabe m30, and the idea of buying a Torres guitar disappeared :-). So like everybody else advised: go to good shops and play a lot of guitars and bring your own guitar to compare.

vesa

Post by vesa » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:52 pm

Most (30) of the still existing Torres guitars have 650 scale length,
2 original Torres has 640 and none 630.
One good thing to evaluate if the guitar really is a Torres inspired
or has at least something to do with Torres is the weight of the instrument,
it should not exeed 1400 gr.

Vesa
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016