how much to invest on a decent Intermediate classical guitar

Thomas

how much to invest on a decent Intermediate classical guitar

Post by Thomas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:13 pm

I know similar questions have been asked but I mean Intermediate player
Some body who does not do it as way of living but plays in churches and do live performance but considered intermediate player.
The guitar that can be connected to amp and preferably a Flamenco guitar.

Thanks

dory

Re: how much to invest on a decent Intermediate classical guitar

Post by dory » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:44 pm

Find the guitar that you like. Yes, you have to worry about price. I had a budget for mine, (about $1,600) but within my budget I played different guitars to see what I liked— not somebody else.)
Dory

rwe

Post by rwe » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Look for a used Instrument. You will save about 50% of the price, sometimes more. In the last years I bought a 1982 Krempel student guitar (= from the technical point of view identical to the top model but without optical gimmicks) for less than 700€. This Instrument was sold 35 years ago for 1100€ - the current price would be ca. 2500+€. This year I got a Teller spruce / maple / ebony (model 7A) from 1965 for 120€. My luthier made some minor repairs for ca. 100€. The price of a similar new Instrument will be ca. 1000€.

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:01 pm

I would say for 800 to 1000 euros you can find something of reasonably good quality.

If you like a Flamenco connected to amp you could try to get a second hand Cordoba GK pro (new price around EUR 1500) or some guitar from Hermanos Camps. Just pointing these two builders as a way for you to start looking.

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Thomas why do you want a flamenco? Are you playing flamenco only?
Classical guitar teacher

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:23 am

Check out some of Cordoba's instruments. They give you a lot of bang for the buck.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:55 pm

Just slightly more than you feel comfortable paying for a guitar. I also agree with @rwe and look at second-hand guitars. I have never regretted doing that.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

VCG

Post by VCG » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:36 am

This is my 2 cents,
As someone who bought second hand before, and regretted(gave it to my brother at the end). I knew I wanted a new one.
Maybe it is shallow, but the look of a brand new spruce top guitar encourage me to pick it up and play.

I decided to go on Martinez (Minyard) Madrid. I liked the sound, and I was ready to pay around 1000 Euro.

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:20 am

VCG wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:36 am
This is my 2 cents,
As someone who bought second hand before, and regretted(gave it to my brother at the end). I knew I wanted a new one.
Maybe it is shallow, but the look of a brand new spruce top guitar encourage me to pick it up and play.

I decided to go on Martinez (Minyard) Madrid. I liked the sound, and I was ready to pay around 1000 Euro.
You soon look beyond the 'bling'! Most decent guitars that are sold by good players second hand are well looked after. You need to know what you are looking for and have somebody with experience look at it. The sound of a guitar is what really matters, and one that sounds great is what usually inspires us to play... There are many guitars that look great but sound pretty poor. If I pick up a poor or thin sounding guitar it soon gets put down.
Classical guitar teacher

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:49 am

This is not going to be an investment, just a purchase. How much you spend, depends on how much you can afford to spend.

I’d approach it this way:

Decide on your budget. Would you rather have a new guitar than xxx is a way to do this. “Intermediate” covers s wide range, but you can certainly get a guitar that you will keep forever for under 1000.

Now start playing guitars that cost about 1/4 of your budget and find the one you like best. Then compare that to several guitars that are 1/2 your budget and see which one you prefer. Do the same with 3/4 if your budget, then your whole budget, then a bit over your budget. Decide with your hands and ears - does it play well, does it sound right.

You may find you actually prefer a cheaper guitar, you may find you want to wait and save a bit more. That’s then a well informed choice that increases your chances of it being a good choice.

VCG

Post by VCG » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 am

Julian Ward wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:20 am
VCG wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:36 am
This is my 2 cents,

You soon look beyond the 'bling'! Most decent guitars that are sold by good players second hand are well looked after. You need to know what you are looking for and have somebody with experience look at it. The sound of a guitar is what really matters, and one that sounds great is what usually inspires us to play... There are many guitars that look great but sound pretty poor. If I pick up a poor or thin sounding guitar it soon gets put down.
I agree with you about the sound. I agree with you about the 'bling'. I agree with you that 2nd hand guitar are well looked after.
'But sometimes people think wrong. People are people.' - Rudolf Abel played by Mark Rylance in movie "Bridge of Spies"

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:47 pm

I do not agree with the advice you are getting here. You should buy a cheap guitar, because as you progress, what you look for in a guitar will change. I suggest:
  1. The guitar should be true (once tuned, in tune everywhere)
  2. It should not buzz, even with low-tension strings
  3. It should be easy to play (trades off with not buzzing)
  4. It should be balanced (basses should blend well with treble strings)
  5. It should sound well.
The cheaper the guitar is, the more you can compromise on the last two. You can invest more after you have had significant experience and can assess your long-term needs better. Even if you have plenty of money, I think it pays to wait until you have a better understanding of your long-term needs (for example, you might want an all-maple guitar, if you primarily intend to play Bach). One caveat: the sound should not be so bad that it will turn you off to guitar-playing. However, even on a very cheap guitar, you can do a lot by improving your technique.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:46 pm

As an intermediate player, I found that having a responsive, beautiful sounding guitar did wonders for my musical advancement and gave great pleasure to the listeners of the music produced. I do not agree with those advising you to get a cheaply made guitar (meaning less quality of sound and less responsivity). I bought a guitar that I wasn’t sure at the time I “deserved” at my level of playing after two years of instruction and have never regretted it, even eight years later.
It taught me how to control resonances, properly damp my basses, get a larger dynamic range, use more color in my interpretations. My cheaply made student guitar did not challenge me in the same way. My cheaply made guitar is fine if the listener within ten feet, and then the sound starts to thin out. My current guitar, when played by me, can easily be heard in full voice in a venue that holds several hundred people without amplification of any sort, even though I don’t necessarily have the same skill as a professional musician.

My advice...buy the best guitar you can afford and do look at 2nd hand to make your money go further. If at some time in the future you play a guitar you love the sound of more or your taste in sound changes, cross that bridge when you get to it. In the mean time, play a guitar that pushes you to play your best and inspires you to learn what it can do.
Good luck with your search!
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

richtm

Post by richtm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi Thomas, I would wait and even wait longer to safe enough Money (1,600$ might not be enough, a good guitar can easily cost 3000€ and is not anymore a fabric guitar but a luthier guitar and 2nd Hand (see lagartijas comment!). I would not go to shops like siccas and buy there a guitar. You always spend something extra there. Maybe it makes sense to go to siccas or an other shop with a good collection to find out what you want to look for. Or check your taste at some friends, who have an Instrument collection. Don't rely only on Videos, because ease of playability is an important factor and sound gets different through recording. Then I would take the online ressources where you can easy get good master grade guitars in Germany: vioworld, delcamp, Focus-Gitarre, e - b a y-Kleinanzeigen, e - b a y... and take your time. Connection to an amp can be done later, there are even different ways and technlogies you can choose from.
Regards from Hamburg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Thomas wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:13 pm
The guitar that can be connected to amp and preferably a Flamenco guitar.

Thanks
For the purposes you mention and the fact you want to amp I would be inclined to suggest something like a Martinez Stage Guitar. They are about 1,000 $/Euro and what is apparently exactly the same guitar is sold under a number of brand names and in a variety of finishes. I tried one out a few years back and while quiet without an amp, it was pleasing and easy to play. It would certainly be able to withstand gigging. New or used if you can find.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”