Competition Guitar

Cessa

Competition Guitar

Post by Cessa » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Help! I have a very advanced 14 year old daughter, who is currently playing a Kenny Hill student guitar. Her teacher says she needs a more advanced guitar since she outplaying the one she has. It doesn't have good mid range I've been told. She is starting to get into guitar competition and plan to go to GFA in the spring. I need a new guitar/used guitar that is under $5,000 decent for her to compete with. My daughter prefers cedar since her strength is expression/dynamics and she likes the warm sound. She needs one that projects and allows her expression to come through. She tends to play quieter. Any suggestions of luthiers/models is much appreciated. I wish I could shell out $10,000-$15,000 for a concert one but we can't afford one.

bogdan

Re: Competition Guitar

Post by bogdan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:57 am

Hi Cessa,

I believe I have the ideal guitar for your daughter.
I will send you a PM (private message).

Best regards,
Bogdan

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:20 am

Cessa wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:42 pm
Help! I have a very advanced 14 year old daughter, who is currently playing a Kenny Hill student guitar. Her teacher says she needs a more advanced guitar since she outplaying the one she has. It doesn't have good mid range I've been told. She is starting to get into guitar competition and plan to go to GFA in the spring. I need a new guitar/used guitar that is under $5,000 decent for her to compete with. My daughter prefers cedar since her strength is expression/dynamics and she likes the warm sound. She needs one that projects and allows her expression to come through. She tends to play quieter. Any suggestions of luthiers/models is much appreciated. I wish I could shell out $10,000-$15,000 for a concert one but we can't afford one.
This might be a little bit of a drive, but you could make a little trip out of it if possible. You might want to go and check out Savage Guitars down in Bohemia, NY. He has a very extensive inventory and he could likely give you some good advice. If you search for Savage guitars a website will come up and you can see what he has in stock and the prices. He also posts some pretty good sound clips of his guitars. For under $5000 you can get a pretty decent guitar. I would go there and bring your daughters guitar so you can compare and contrast the different sounds.

Up here in Canada, if you go to Montreal you could visit the Grande Salon de Guitarre (don't worry. The owner speaks perfect English). It is a pretty well-known guitar shop with half decent prices on well-known luthier guitars. For $5000US you could get something very good. You might want to give the shop a call and discuss before making the drive. But, it probably isn't much farther than going to Savage and you might get more for your money in Canada. BUT, you will have to bring it across the border and may have to pay taxes.

For the price of the guitar, its likely worth a 1 day trip and hotel to be able to play some of these instruments. You won't regret it in the long run.

Another piece of advice is there are plenty of luthiers and dealers who come on this site. You may want to pick their brains and see what kind of guitar might be good. They might want to know the scale guitar your daughter plays, the type of guitar she likes, the sound she wants and these sorts of things in order to help you. But, at least you might get some impartial advice. Many of the dealers have return periods if you aren't satisfied with the instruments.

On top of that, there are many great guitars listed in the for sale section. My only precaution is this: given that you have very little knowledge of guitars it seems from what you have written, you wouldn't know if it was good or bad, a great deal or a horrible price, something that needs work or not. So, I would recommend buying from someone who you trust and who has a good history on the board here. I think everyone is honest around here. BUT, what they find "simple to change/fix" might not be to you.

Another option is to check out and ask around if anyone knows any luthiers that are close to you. You might get lucky and find a few.

Good luck! Your daughter sounds like she will be a great player!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 am

I think Martin is giving sound advice. Savage has a good reputation here on the forum and might be the nearest option.

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:45 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with Martin's advice. Here on this forum we can give you a million options for your price range, but that is no guarantee that it will be the right guitar for your daughter. Your best bet is to take your daughter to a dealer with a wide variety of guitars in your price range and compare them side by side with her current guitar (Savage being one of the best for this). Remember that buying a guitar is a very personal thing and you will never know if a guitar is suitable for you until you get to really play it.

If you absolutely can't travel too far, then I would do research with the help of her teacher to choose a suitable guitar locally available, or from a dealer like Savage that has a trial period. If you don't like the guitar, you just end up paying return shipping. $5k is plenty of money for a high performing "concert" guitar and it is entirely possible to find one that can compete with guitars in the $10k+ range. You get even more value if you buy used. Whatever the case, just be sure to have a trial period if you can't buy in person.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Cessa

Post by Cessa » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:01 am

Thanks for everyone's feedback! I will probably head to one of to Savage Guitars and our local store and have her try out guitars first. I realize this might be a long process.

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:41 am

Take your time. If you can get some more idea from her teacher that could also be quite useful.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”