Flamenco guitar- machine made good quality

emeraldvalley

Flamenco guitar- machine made good quality

Post by emeraldvalley » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:43 pm

I want to get a flamenco guitar as i am afraid of hitting my expensive classical too hard, scratches etc.
i am thinking a good machine made one will suffice not so expensive. What qualities should be considered?
i need something to allow fast runs, without too much tension , though i understand many flamenco guitarists want the buzz at times.
i want low tension if possible without much or any buzzing on lower strings when playing sustained notes, e.g Villa Lobos Prelude 1
what kind of strings are used? and do i still need the protectors Kling on that are detachable to under the soundhole etc?
thank you

MrF1

Re: Flamenco guitar- machine made good quality

Post by MrF1 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:33 pm

What is your budget? Like all different types of guitars, desired qualities can be a very individual thing. I made the switch to all flamenco guitars and my trusty D'Addario EJ45s work just fine - same strings I used on classical guitars. There's a great Navarro student blanca in the Delcamp classifieds right now...fantastic price. Great guitar to consider if you're new to flamenco.
Last edited by MrF1 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:32 pm

Find an old Yamaha 171-F

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:11 am

It is unlikely you will get in the designed-in rasp ('buzzing') on anything but a top end luthier guitar. On a cheap guitar it will just be fret buzz. It is like it almost fret buzzes but not quite and takes a precision build that I doubt you would get at the bottom of the market.

That said, you don't need it to study and can always save up if you think your skills become worthy.

As far as protectors, they are called golpeadors (a golpe is a tap) and are essential f you don't want to slowly tap yourself through the top). I got my luthier to make me some startic cling ones for my classical just in case, but I don't golpe that!!!

As far as tension goes, lower tension strings make for easier fast picado (and wear down you nails less), but higher tension strings make rasguedos more crisp (until you have learned how to do the movements more precisely on lower tension strings). Ramon Amira (a regular on the board) would advise low tension strings, but he is pro level!

You will also be advised to use superglue on your nails or you will be having nail break downtime.

The suggested Yamaha would do for a beginner.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:35 am

Look at finding a used Picado 2AF...Or splurge for a new one...it's a helluva guitar and I like it as much as many guitars costing thousands more...

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:35 pm

Cloth Ears wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:11 am
You will also be advised to use superglue on your nails or you will be having nail break downtime.
For some people super glue causes your fingernails to grow super thin and fragile.
It happened to me after 2 years of making my thumbnail thicker with it(it worked like wonder at the beginning),it started to get super fragile thinner and easier to break(my thumb went to normal after another couple of years of no glue ,and near to a year of no thumbnail...)

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:22 am

Mr.Rain wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:35 pm
Cloth Ears wrote:
For some people super glue causes your fingernails to grow super thin and fragile.
It happened to me after 2 years of making my thumbnail thicker with it(it worked like wonder at the beginning),it started to get super fragile thinner and easier to break(my thumb went to normal after another couple of years of no glue ,and near to a year of no thumbnail...)
Only cover the dead keratin of the protruding nail and I doubt this should occur.

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:51 am

Old 70's -80s factory Aria and Yamahas make good flamenco guitars. The cedar topped models with rosewood veneer plywood sides are quite flamenco sounding if you hot rod them. Find a really nasty one and shave down the saddle mound and cut the saddle down to about 8 mm bass side strings off the top. If the bridge is bulky, you can chisel the wings thinner to about 4 mm thick. and if you can remove material from the tie block height and then glue a thin cover over it. The bridge on those are usually big a bulky, the guitar will be more flamenco if you can pare the bridge down a lower the saddle. Or not. Then get a stick on tap plate from LMI and watch a few you tube videos on how to apply it.

It's doesn't matter that much how high the strings are off the frets, what matters is the saddle height and getting the strings between 7 and 9 mm off the top. Otherwise you'll kill your right thumb and not have any fun.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:14 am

Cloth Ears wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:22 am
Mr.Rain wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:35 pm
Cloth Ears wrote:
Only cover the dead keratin of the protruding nail and I doubt this should occur.
I covered the minimum surfaced I could,to avoid the edge of the nail shattering (not like many flamencos that cover the whole finger nail).I have a friend(pro player/academic) who had the same issue,CA is an irritant agent(even just the fumes),I guess tolerance depends on the individual ....

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:10 am

There’s a 1970 Ventura Royal Artist Model V-1600F Flamenco on Reverb. $375. Basically a Roji Matsuoka made under the names of Ventura, Crown, Aria, etc

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”