Jesus Bellido Luthier Guitar

ajguitar

Jesus Bellido Luthier Guitar

Post by ajguitar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:15 pm

Hello, I am looking to upgrade to my first great classical guitar. Around €4000 is my budget. I have found a guitar online from a spanish store (guitarrasdeluthier.com), the Jesus Bellido Concert Homage Torres. It’s €4100, so in my budget. It’s supposed to be a really easy guitar to play and has slightly narrower neck. Its top is Canadian cedar and the back and sides are Madagascar Rosewood. It’s inspired by Torres and features his interior design.

Should I buy it? And does anybody own a Jesus Bellido guitar or have played one?
Thanks

quixilver

Re: Jesus Bellido Luthier Guitar

Post by quixilver » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:01 am

If I remember correctly, Jesus Bellido is a son of Manuel Bellido who is definitely one of the famous luthiers from Granada. They hold the reputation of fine guitar makers for decades, so overall I think there shouldn't be something very bad against their guitars.

I tried at least four or five guitars made by Jesus Bellido in the last few years and the result has been quite satisfying, although one or two could be better than another but the gap is not that significant to notice. All of them have the similar fan-braced design and produce the typical traditional sound, a bit "flamenco-ish" if that makes sense. The quality of workmanship is not the best in its class but I didn't see any disturbing issue, except one thing that I noticed, some of his guitars have the "zero fret" while the others do not have it. For me personally, it's not a big deal but for some other people, it might be an aesthetical factor.

With regards to the particular guitar you mentioned, it is not so "Homage Torres" to me simply because of the cedar top. I would suggest to choose a spruce alternative if you search for Torres derivative design but on top of everything, you should try to play and test the guitar before buying whenever possible or check with the seller if they have any other suggestion like 2-days return policy in case you don't really like the guitar. IMHO, €4000 is not a small amount of money and there are some other options within the price range.
"After food, air and water, classical guitar is the next necessity of life."

1988 Kazuo Sato | 2005 Tobias Berg | 2007 Rolf Eichinger | 2014 Alexandru Marian | 2015 Christoph Sembdner | 2015 Antonio Raya Ferrer | 2016 Masaki Sakurai P.C.

AndresK

Post by AndresK » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:37 am

Hello. Check out Vassilis Lazarides guitars. Exceptional quality, amazing playability, unbeatable price.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Fri May 03, 2019 2:44 am

I love Jesus Bellido's copy of the 1883 Antonio Torres. I have sold a number of them. The guitar has a small plantilla and thin body, but offers impressive power-- particularly wonderful trebles and mid-range. Since the original is in Granada, his copy is made from direct study of it.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

TomOphir1

Post by TomOphir1 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Jesus Bellido made a Torres copy for me once. It sounded great but their were some workmanship issues so I sent it back. The replacement he made for me was much better. A fantastic guitar. Here is a couple of old video of the second guitar. Here is a video of the first one. He uses some fantastic quality tone-woods that he no doubt has inherited through his family luthier line.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”