Looking for lattice guitar

smoon01

Looking for lattice guitar

Post by smoon01 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi all,

looking for a cedar top lattice guitar but can't seen to find many at all, can anyone help?

bauersachs82
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:01 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by bauersachs82 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 pm

Are you looking for a factory made guitar or luthier made?

smoon01

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by smoon01 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Luthier
bauersachs82 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 pm
Are you looking for a factory made guitar or luthier made?

RobMacKillop
Posts: 3529
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:05 pm

Too bad you are restricted to cedar, as I have a give-away price on a spruce-top by Juan Hernandez in the For Sale section. If you are flexible regarding soundboard wood, have a look. Although this makes me feel like a used-car salesman, I really do feel you will not find a better lattice guitar for the price.

Best wishes.

smoon01

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by smoon01 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:11 pm

Haha, thanks for letting me know but only looking for cedar!
RobMacKillop wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:05 pm
Too bad you are restricted to cedar, as I have a give-away price on a spruce-top by Juan Hernandez in the For Sale section. If you are flexible regarding soundboard wood, have a look. Although this makes me feel like a used-car salesman, I really do feel you will not find a better lattice guitar for the price.

Best wishes.

Trev
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:41 pm
Location: Northampton, UK

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:28 pm

Jose Marques builds lattice guitars, he's in Bury St Edmunds, on here and facebook, might be worth an ask.
Trev
Robert Welford 1978
Alvarez Yairi 1981
Takamine Hirade H20 1995

RobertSz
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:03 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by RobertSz » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:21 am

Are you interested in the lattice system
a) all in wood
b) reinforced with carbon fiber strips
c) Australian version

User avatar
stratlanta
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:38 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by stratlanta » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:26 am

have you tried Rich at Savage guitars? I just looked at his site and he has a bunch in stock. I have no affiliation, I just know he has them in stock in many varieties and prices.
Bastien Burlot "Alkemia" SP/IN
Dominique Delarue CD/MB
Stephan Connor SP/MP
Kenneth Brogger SP/AR
Sergio Perez "Segovia" CD/AR

GuitarsWeB
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:55 pm

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by GuitarsWeB » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:28 am

Go to David Schramm’s website. He makes the best Smallman style lattice. Spruce is too stiff and heavy for making lattice guitars..per Smallman and Schramm

User avatar
Arash Ahmadi
Posts: 635
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:26 am

I prefer Graham Caldersmith and Simon Marty lattice versions. Not sure about Marty but you can order a Caldersmith via his website. I have personally played his guitars and liked the sound and projection. It's also heavy,about 4 kilos!

I'm not a fan of other lattice versions, but these two luthiers have a different system.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

Leo Apray
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:14 am
Location: Germany

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by Leo Apray » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:34 am

How much is your budget? New or used?

piotr
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:20 am

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by piotr » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:05 am

Stephen Hill makes wonderful lattice guitars.

ben etow
Posts: 892
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Brussels

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by ben etow » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 am

Depending on your budget, I recommend you a Prudencio Saez (I know it's factory made, but the one I know is stunning) 132 GL (for goma laca/Frensh polish) at Casa Luthier in Barcelona or a John Price, which you should be able to find in a "shop" near Paris or at Guitarras de Luthier in Madrid.
There is also a used Woodfield at La Galerie des Luthiers in Lyon, but I never tried any Woodfield. I did read very positive comments on his guitars though.

I also tried a very good lattice Rousu near Cologne (Köln), but the top wasn't exactly cedar. It was redwood and sounded like a cedar to me.

ben etow
Posts: 892
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Brussels

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by ben etow » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:40 am

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:26 am
Simon Marty lattice versions. (...) a different system.
It isn't a lattice bracing, but a radial bracing. Very different.
I did like the only Marty I tried (spruce, very bright), but not more than (rather less than) a Price, a Gnatek o even this particular Prudencio Saez I mentioned.
I am not a fan of the Redgate I tried (got tired after 15 minutes, too hammer-like sound) and I don't like Smallmans at all (worse than the Redgate, very heterogeneous).

RobertSz
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:03 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by RobertSz » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:56 pm

ben etow wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 am
Depending on your budget, I recommend you a Prudencio Saez (I know it's factory made, but the one I know is stunning) 132 GL (for goma laca/Frensh polish) at Casa Luthier in Barcelona or a John Price, which you should be able to find in a "shop" near Paris or at Guitarras de Luthier in Madrid.
There is also a used Woodfield at La Galerie des Luthiers in Lyon, but I never tried any Woodfield. I did read very positive comments on his guitars though.

I also tried a very good lattice Rousu near Cologne (Köln), but the top wasn't exactly cedar. It was redwood and sounded like a cedar to me.
Hi ben etow.
I wanted to ask if you know the difference between Saez 132 and Saez 132 GL guitars (price difference is about 1000 Euro) and between Saez 132GL and 138GL.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”