Looking for lattice guitar

Chantysboy7

Re: Looking for lattice guitar

Post by Chantysboy7 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Graham Hawkes in Australia. Great price too.

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:24 pm

the thread just below this thread at the time of this writing

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=124780
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:28 am

ben etow wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:40 am
Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:26 am
Simon Marty lattice versions. (...) a different system.
It isn't a lattice bracing, but a radial bracing. Very different.
As far as I remember Marty has a lattice model too...
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:33 am

Have you considered a Yulong Guo guitar? Mine is a lattice-braced double-top. The London Guitar Studio has two of his guitars for sale at present. These guitars are very loud and have a very pleasing sound. Playability is excellent.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:16 pm

RobertSz wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:56 pm
ben etow wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 am
Depending on your budget, I recommend you a Prudencio Saez (I know it's factory made, but the one I know is stunning) 132 GL (for goma laca/Frensh polish) at Casa Luthier in Barcelona or a John Price, which you should be able to find in a "shop" near Paris or at Guitarras de Luthier in Madrid.
There is also a used Woodfield at La Galerie des Luthiers in Lyon, but I never tried any Woodfield. I did read very positive comments on his guitars though.

I also tried a very good lattice Rousu near Cologne (Köln), but the top wasn't exactly cedar. It was redwood and sounded like a cedar to me.
Hi ben etow.
I wanted to ask if you know the difference between Saez 132 and Saez 132 GL guitars (price difference is about 1000 Euro) and between Saez 132GL and 138GL.
GL stands for goma laca, which means French polish. The "plain" 132 has obviously a rather thick varnish compared to the GL. That means thet the GL sounds much more open, much more powerful (and is much more fragile!).
Imagine A Friederich or whatever great traditional guitar with a thick varnish or the other way a French polished Alhambra 7P and ask yourself whether you are sure you would prefer the obvious one... :mrgreen:

I bought the only one I tried. Not perfect, not as good as my Joie (630, more sustaining/singing, more dynamic range - and obviously more so when amplified with its dedicated system) but still stunning for less than 2500 euro (even less than 5000 because I don't know of any guitar under 5000 with that kind of capabilities - Guo aside but the ones I tried have a different/stranger tone). IMO not far from any lattice I tried (unfortunately I couldn't compare them) - Price, Gnatek, Redgate, Smallman and a few others.

I am not a fan of nylon at all but this 132 GL clearly needed a nylon e1 (I went for a Gall Genius LT I had in stock and it worked fine with Knobloch carbs HT G and B) as it still sounded very bright for a cedar guitar. Not far from a spruce Paco Marín with a high action or a spruce Marty as to brightness.

I didn't try the 138 but the guy at Casa Luthier told me it was'nt as good as the 132.

Beware, I tried only one item of the 132 GL model and I have no idea about building consistency.
Last edited by ben etow on Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:28 am
ben etow wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:40 am
Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:26 am
Simon Marty lattice versions. (...) a different system.
It isn't a lattice bracing, but a radial bracing. Very different.
As far as I remember Marty has a lattice model too...
OK, I didn't think so but you may be right.

RobertSz

Post by RobertSz » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:04 pm

ben etow wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:16 pm
RobertSz wrote:
ben etow wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 am
Depending on your budget, I recommend you a Prudencio Saez (I know it's factory made, but the one I know is stunning) 132 GL (for goma laca/Frensh polish) at Casa Luthier in Barcelona or a John Price, which you should be able to find in a "shop" near Paris or at Guitarras de Luthier in Madrid.
There is also a used Woodfield at La Galerie des Luthiers in Lyon, but I never tried any Woodfield. I did read very positive comments on his guitars though.

I also tried a very good lattice Rousu near Cologne (Köln), but the top wasn't exactly cedar. It was redwood and sounded like a cedar to me.
Hi ben etow.
I wanted to ask if you know the difference between Saez 132 and Saez 132 GL guitars (price difference is about 1000 Euro) and between Saez 132GL and 138GL.
GL stands for goma laca, which means French polish. The "plain" 132 has obviously a rather thick varnish compared to the GL. That means thet the GL sounds much more open, much more powerful (and is much more fragile!).
Imagine A Friederich or whatever great traditional guitar with a thick varnish or the other way a French polished Alhambra 7P and ask yourself whether you are sure you would prefer the obvious one... :mrgreen:

I bought the only one I tried. Not perfect, not as good as my Joie (630, more sustaining/singing, more dynamic range - and obviously more so when amplified with its dedicated system) but still stunning for less than 2500 euro (even less than 5000 because I don't know of any guitar under 5000 with that kind of capabilities - Guo aside but the ones I tried have a different/stranger tone). IMO not far from any lattice I tried (unfortunately I couldn't compare them) - Price, Gnatek, Redgate, Smallman and a few others.

I am not a fan of nylon at all but this 132 GL clearly needed a nylon e1 (I went for a Gall Genius LT I had in stock and it worked fine with Knobloch carbs HT G and B) as it still sounded very bright for a cedar guitar. Not far from a spruce Paco Marín with a high action or a spruce Marty as to brightness.

I didn't try the 138 but the guy at Casa Luthier told me it was'nt as good as the 132.

Beware, I tried only one item of the 132 GL model and I have no idea about building consistency.
Hi ben etow.

Thank you very much for a quick and comprehensive answer.

I would like to ask if you've had an opportunity to compare Prudencio Saez 132GL guitar to one of these guitars:
- Esteve model Adalid lattice all in wood (about 3000 EUR)
- Hernandez Maestro lattice system all in wood (mix of cedar and spruce in the bracing) (about 3000 EUR)

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:40 pm

bauersachs82 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 pm
Are you looking for a factory made guitar or luthier made?
Are there any factory made lattice guitars?
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

bauersachs82

Post by bauersachs82 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:57 pm

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:40 pm
bauersachs82 wrote:
I know the Cordoba C12 is.

Phillymike

Post by Phillymike » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:50 am

bauersachs82 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:57 pm
Arash Ahmadi wrote:
bauersachs82 wrote:
I know the Cordoba C12 is.
I believe my Cervantes Milenia Studio PE is as well.

FeiKer

Post by FeiKer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:17 am

smoon01 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:46 pm
Hi all,

looking for a cedar top lattice guitar but can't seen to find many at all, can anyone help?
Hey there!

I was thinking of selling my Kim Lissarrague Classical Guitar which fits all of your criteria so far; you can pm me!

Cheers,

Phil
Miguel J Almeria 50 Prestige
Kim Lissarrague #159 (2011)

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:31 pm

RobertSz wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:04 pm
ben etow wrote:
RobertSz wrote:

Hi ben etow.

Hi ben etow.

I would like to ask if you've had an opportunity to compare Prudencio Saez 132GL guitar to one of these guitars:
- Hernandez Maestro lattice system all in wood (mix of cedar and spruce in the bracing) (about 3000 EUR)
Unfortunately not. I've just played (separetely) several Adalid/Hopf with this oval part around the bridge, which I disliked a lot, both because of the strange tone colour and the heterogeneity (uneven sustain, tone colour, dynamics, and so on).

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:33 pm

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
bauersachs82 wrote:
Above mentioned Prudencio Saez, Juan Hernandez and Hopf/Adalid.

RobertSz

Post by RobertSz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 pm

ben etow wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:31 pm
RobertSz wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:04 pm
ben etow wrote:

Hi ben etow.

Unfortunately not. I've just played (separetely) several Adalid/Hopf with this oval part around the bridge, which I disliked a lot, both because of the strange tone colour and the heterogeneity (uneven sustain, tone colour, dynamics, and so on).
Hi ben etow.
Thank you very much for a comprehensive answer.

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:02 pm

Greg Byers and Richard Prenkert both make all-wood lattice guitars with cedar tops.
Kolya Panhuyzen 2012 cedar/Br

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”