Cordoba C7 vs Alhambra 5p vs Yamaha CG192

Ziyad H.

Cordoba C7 vs Alhambra 5p vs Yamaha CG192

Post by Ziyad H. » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:29 am

I'm looking to buy a new guitar and those are my available options money wise.
I've read a lot about the 3 guitars but I'm still not sure about which one is the best. They are all in the same price range.
So, I'm looking for an advice from experts around here.

guitarseller345645

Re: Cordoba C7 vs Alhambra 5p vs Yamaha CG192

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:48 am

I have owned many Yammies and most of them sounded bland to me - I did play a CG192 and found it bland too. Cannot remember if cedar or spruce...specs were good though.

I had an Alhambra 4P long ago - it is quite similar to the 5P...mine was bright and had a quick response like a flamenco...did not bond with me. I paid an enormous price for it (a well known UK seller) - did not shop around b4 clicking the BUY button.

I now play the low end C7 - got it cheap (some scratches). It looks good and sounds pretty good...comparable to an ex-Yamaha GC7A and ex-Kremona Fiesta FC. Upgraded the tuners to Der Jung. It has cured GAS for a bedroom player like me :)

I know it is advertising but GSI says of the C7 (cheapest model sold by GSI). Quite well put:

''This C7 features Canadian Cedar for the top and Indian Rosewood back and sides. It is a full-sized, classical guitar perfect for the beginner looking for an instrument that is easy to play and at the same time has a nice warm, Spanish-style sound. Also a great choice for the accomplished player looking for a great-quality travel or gigging guitar. Cordoba 100 GB Gig Bag included.''

My subjective 2 cents :)

Ziyad H.

Post by Ziyad H. » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:19 am

Thank you for sharing your experience.😁

Ziyad H.

Post by Ziyad H. » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:25 am

Also I'd like to have an advice about Admira Guitars as well
Are they better than the mentioned above?
Especially Admira A20? "Because it's also within my budget"

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:01 pm

I have owned the Malaga, the Maria and the Avila. The Avila was a very good guitar. The two others were so-so. I have not played the new series ie A1, A2 etc before but from my past experience of the older models, they are generally cheaper but may not sound as good as other Spanish brands equivalent models. The A20 is near the top so you should be OK with it. In fact, it may be a better choice since it is all solid (?).

Most of all, you should try to play all of them to see which one appeals to you.

Ziyad H.

Post by Ziyad H. » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Playing them is not an option because technically there are no guitar stores in my city. I'll be ordering online and basically rely on expert opinion such as yours.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:58 pm

Between those options I'd choose the C7. I feel it performs better than the other 2 options. If you can find used, you can get even better value.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Ziyad H.

Post by Ziyad H. » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Thank you so much
Your reply is much appreciated souldier😁

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:21 pm

I can't directly answer your question...however I recently had to pick between a Cordoba F7 and a Yamaha CG172SF (both "flamenco" guitars) and also a Cordoba GK Studio. So maybe these guitars are similar to the ones you're considering.

The Cordoba F7 was a good guitar, but played side by side with the Yamaha it sounded dull. Same with the Cordoba GK. There were two F7's in the shop and one of the two sounded very slightly better than the other. Fit and finish of the Cordoba guitars were good although I thought the finish was a bit plasticy feeling.

The Yamaha CG172SF sounded brighter than the Cordoba guitars, and was also quite a bit lighter and perhaps slightly more responsive. The Yamaha tuners were better than the Cordoba tuners, but both were acceptable. Fit and finish of the Yamaha was good, except for some reason they did not round over the edges of the soundboard so the edge of the guitar digs into your right forearm when playing. All the other Yamaha models were rounded over except this one...why??? The Yamaha also comes with a flat finish, and any guitar supports that use suction cups refuse to stay stuck to the guitar, even if I use plastic film under the suction cups. I bought the Yamaha and did a complete set-up on it to bring it to more flamenco action (it seems to come with essentially the same set-up as their classical guitars except for a lower saddle). The nut was well made. The plastic saddle fit pretty loosely into the saddle slot...however I think the guitar might have sounded better with the original plastic saddle than it did with the new bone saddle I made. I brought the height of the strings to about 10 mm above the top at the bridge (original height was ~12 mm and to reduce height any further I would have to shave the bridge. The frets were almost perfectly finished and I only removed a few thousandths of an inch from half of one fret.

I think the Cordoba guitar comes with a case whereas the Yamaha was caseless.

The shop also had an Alhambra 11P, which is much more expensive than the 5P you're considering. The 11P was a superb guitar and one of the few expensive classical guitars I've seen in a shop that I actually would have spent the $$$ on and thought it was a good deal (the others have been a Cordoba Torres model and a couple luthier made models, all $$$). At the time I wished the shop carried one of the Alhambra flamenco guitars so that I could give it a try.

Ziyad H.

Post by Ziyad H. » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Wow what a wonderful experience you've written there Steve O!😁

Alhambra 11P is expensive but i guess it's worth it...maybe when i become extremely advanced I'd buy it. But for now, I'll stick with one of those 3 options mentioned above. I could wait some time for a Cordoba C9. A lot experts and reviewers speak highly of it.

Anyway, thank you for your reply. Highly appreciated😁

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”