Most "unspanish" sounding guitar

nmshu1

Re: Most "unspanish" sounding guitar

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:51 pm

There is Spanish Style guitar for sure!
I have 2 Spanish guitars, 3 American Guitars, 1 Holland Guitar..... They are different. The 2 Spanish guitars are similar, have some same characters...

I prefer to Spanish sweet, warm, balanced and bright sound...
2014 Otto Vowinkel Concert 650, 2012 Córdoba C9 650, 2013 Córdoba C9 650
2015 Paulino Bernabe Torres 645
2015 Juan Hernandez Torres 640, 1986 Sweet Tone 640
2016 German V. Rubio Concert 635, 2016 German V. Rubio Estudio 635
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 630

jscott

Post by jscott » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:31 am

There is no such thing as a Spanish sounding guitar. And a Hauser is the most un-Spanish sounding guitar design.

But any particular Hauser may be made to sound Spanish indeed!

The guitar: "I am large, I contradict myself". Ah, reality.
Paul Weaver spruce modeled on a Hauser
Takamine C132S 1983 cedar

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:40 am

Hello fellow plucking compatriots!

With all due respect and best wishes, please take some time to watch this 3 and 1/5 hour documentary (it's a great video!) Afterwards, can you explain to me how there isn't a Spanish sound, or for that matter, a Spanish Guitar?

And despite the market forces' advertising slogans, with their constant attempts at defining our many mutual creative and artistic endeavours-

Let us not forget our roots!

After all, there is much truth in the Spanish sound, despite what pleasure or relief (or whatever else) might be found in these forums in defying the defenitions placed upon us by marketing slogans and ad campaigns.

And as you may see, I might hope, when we gaze a bit further into the past, with some help from this video, there is certainly a bit more than a little validity in the terminology in question here. Spanish guitar is very real. Without it we wouldn't be having this discussion.

As for my opinion, a guitar with less harmonic resonance and more fundamental sound typically describes an "un Spanish" sound, which for me is associated with deep and resonant tones and somewhat less clarity. A "Romantic" sound no doubt!

Whereas the "un Spanish" sound may be in fact a bit more virtuosic in the right hands, as it possibly can play more repertoire. The main reason having better note clarity and separation.

This is perhaps also one of those questions that can quite possibly be better explained by a cliche:

"If you have to ask, you'll never know"

At the same time some of this description is hogwash, as a great player can get a variety of tone. But when shopping for a guitar there is distinct differences between the specific timbres of guitars and the music they are more appropriately suited to playing.

Truth be told:

Tarrega sounds better on my Cedar/Rosewood Spanish guitar (made in Japan)

Bach sounds better on my Spruce/Maple Spanish guitar (made in USA)

That being said they both sound great on either guitar.

Go figure....!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”