Alhambra Mengual y Margarit C Series

ajguitar

Alhambra Mengual y Margarit C Series

Post by ajguitar » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:42 pm

I am looking to upgrade from my beginner guitar after using it for 5 years now. I have decided that I want to upgrade to a guitar that I can use my whole life. My budget is about €3000 - €4000. I

I have been looking at the Alhambra Mengual y Margarit C Series which is €3900. It has a cedar top and neck and the back and sides are made from solid Indian Rosewood. It is Alhambra’s 2nd highest in price guitar but I can’t find many reviews for their higher end guitars. Does anybody own this guitar or have played it?

Last edited by ajguitar on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: Anyone familiar with Alhambra Mengual y Margarit

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:54 am

I am an authorized Alhambra dealer, so yes, I have played it. It’s a fine luthier guitar, but you could do better for the same price range.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

ajguitar

Re: Anyone familiar with Alhambra Mengual y Margarit

Post by ajguitar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:50 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:54 am
I am an authorized Alhambra dealer, so yes, I have played it. It’s a fine luthier guitar, but you could do better for the same price range.

Ramon
What guitar would you suggest in the same price range?

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: Alhambra Mengual y Margarit C Series

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Offhand for new I would say a Yamaha GC42 or Francisco Navarro Special Grand Concert. But for around $4000 or so you could look for a used classical by one of the great Spanish luthiers. Over the years I have also played guitars by some of the luthiers on this forum. I will not single out any, but you would not go wrong there either.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:09 pm

I am bit puzzled ... where are you looking for instruments as you mention Euro prices but in your intro you say your are from the UK? Are you planning to buy mail order from Spain or elsewhere. There are a number of excellent dealers in UK who would certainly have advice to give and appropriate stock.

Arkheospruce

Post by Arkheospruce » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi. If you will buy with mail order from spain; you can try Antonio Picado C1. Brasilian rosewood, canadian cedar; most quality woods and handcrafting for this price. I think ~2500€ +shipping. My friend's C1 is very nicely sound. Dont give more money.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:28 pm

Picado fan here...nice guitars for the money...second hand market has them show once in awhile...at the used market price there is very little to complain about...

Never buy a guitar without playing it...unless the price is right :)

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:28 am

to be accurate, Alhambra luthier series have quite a few guitars priced around 7000-8000 Euros. I would agree with other users, for this money you can do better. For example, Jose Antonio Lagunar, the ex chief luthier at Contreras (he used to make the 10th anniversary Contreras model, sells his top model Grand Concierto double back and sides for 3900 Euros (4300 with French polish), that is essentially the 10th anniversary model, just much much cheaper. His 1a Especial is much cheaper than that. You could contact Antonio directly, I have played one of his guitar and it was outstanding. The other option of course is to buy used. I personally am selling my Bernabe M50 in this forum for roughly this price.
Regards,
Nikos

Realstaff

Post by Realstaff » Sat May 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Nikos_Greek wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:28 am
to be accurate, Alhambra luthier series have quite a few guitars priced around 7000-8000 Euros. I would agree with other users, for this money you can do better. For example, Jose Antonio Lagunar, the ex chief luthier at Contreras (he used to make the 10th anniversary Contreras model, sells his top model Grand Concierto double back and sides for 3900 Euros (4300 with French polish), that is essentially the 10th anniversary model, just much much cheaper. His 1a Especial is much cheaper than that. You could contact Antonio directly, I have played one of his guitar and it was outstanding. The other option of course is to buy used. I personally am selling my Bernabe M50 in this forum for roughly this price.
Regards,
Nikos
How did the Lagunar guitar compare to your Bernabe m50?

ajguitar

Post by ajguitar » Sun May 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Realstaff wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:02 pm
Nikos_Greek wrote:
Regards,
Nikos
I tried the top Lagunar model. Wasn’t a fan of it, was quite sharp sounding which I don’t really like. The Bernabe’s sound a lot warmer and richer.

Realstaff

Post by Realstaff » Sun May 19, 2019 5:33 pm

ajguitar wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:02 pm
Realstaff wrote:
Nikos_Greek wrote:
Regards,
Nikos
I tried the top Lagunar model. Wasn’t a fan of it, was quite sharp sounding which I don’t really like. The Bernabe’s sound a lot warmer and richer.
That’s great, a Bernabe m20 sounds better than a top end Contreras (Lagunar built for Contreras) . So much for factory vs luthier !

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sun May 19, 2019 5:42 pm

As simonm says there are some good dealers in the UK. I would strongly advise visiting one or two to try their guitars. There is a good selection of instruments in your price range. My experience is that you will be under no pressure to buy.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

ajguitar

Post by ajguitar » Sun May 19, 2019 5:59 pm

Realstaff wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:33 pm
ajguitar wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:02 pm
Realstaff wrote:

That’s great, a Bernabe m20 sounds better than a top end Contreras (Lagunar built for Contreras) . So much for factory vs luthier !
Bernabe’s guitars are not factory made though. Some of their MXX models used to be outsourced, not anymore. They are all made in his workshop in madrid with his highly experienced luthiers that work with him.

Realstaff

Post by Realstaff » Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 pm

Sounds good, where did you buy yours , I think Stafford guitar have the best deals ?

ajguitar

Post by ajguitar » Sun May 19, 2019 6:07 pm

Realstaff wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 pm
Sounds good, where did you buy yours , I think Stafford guitar have the best deals ?
I got it from Guitarras De Luthier in Madrid. They have a much wider range than Stafford, altough not much cheaper.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”