Soundports: Any Cons?

smoon01

Re: Soundports: Any Cons?

Post by smoon01 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:31 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:14 pm
I find them just ugly and have never bought a guitar with a port, and won’t. So one possible consequence is lost of a wider resale market. Thai’s is real, not imaginary. There is a Ruck for sale on this site right now - if it didn’t have ports I would have bought it. It has ports, I just passed straight over it.

Of course, others may not consider a guitar without ports - but I have never heard this said to date. :)

Interesting concept. I’d definitely say more people are willing to buy a guitar without a soundport than with one. However maybe in the future we’ll see an increase in the usage of soundports? Just like the lattice brace has been growing on more people at a faster rate over the last decade or so.

jaan

Post by jaan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:53 pm

ben etow wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:26 pm
The main con to me is that you hear your guitar even more differently than the audience does. A major con to me.
This surely must depend on the guitar. Mine sounds pretty much the same from behind or in front, though no guitar sounds the same in both places. Your point is that the soundport can make this more-so. I have never experienced that, personally. On mine, it makes it much less so.

I've played guitars with very rigid backs that send all the sound out and are very loud, but sound weak and diffuse from behind. A guitar like that, for example, would seem to benefit from a soundport.
Amateurs practice until we get it right; professionals practice until they no longer get it wrong.

1999 Dake Traphagen (spruce)
2008 Dake Traphagen (spruce, double top)
2010 David Pace (cedar, double top)
2019 Antonius Müller (cedar, double top)

richtm

Post by richtm » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:31 pm

I once owned a Richard Hrus (Prague) - with Sound ports - and it was a great guitar.
Currently I own a Robert Ruck with sound ports and I like it very much.
I asked an italien luthier to make sound ports on my guitar from her, unfortunately she could not make it. Otherwise this guitar would also have some sound ports… You as a player hear just so much better what you do on your guitar.. :merci:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:48 pm

I’ve had two guitars with sound ports; a Connor and a Ruck. The Ruck was so good and loud that I kept the ports covered. The Connor just sounded so much better with the ports that I never put the covers on them. Visually, aesthetically I didn’t like them; hence the sale of both. My current Brune is traditional and without ports and I really like an instrument without sound ports. I doubt that I will own another guitar with sound ports. Yes, they seemed to enhance; the Ruck exception, the tone of the two guitars I owned that had sound ports, but I could not get used to the look.
So, for me they are a Con!!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 am

I used a keyhole drill bit to drill a soundport on the bass side of my ex-Kremona Soloist S65C. Took a few seconds. There was a surround effect to me, with the port. The volume was not changed. Got used to the surround effect soon and never drilled any sound ports since.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 am

duplicate

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks for all inputs!

All in all, it seems that a CG with soundports + COVERS is the best option.

I can open or close the soundport whenever I like and it also solves the aesthetical and resell problem!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:10 pm

powermrk wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 pm
Thanks for all inputs!

I can open or close the soundport whenever I like and it also solves the aesthetical and resell problem!
I am glad you have found an answer that works for you.

From this (regular) buyer’s perspective covers don’t solve the aesthetic problem, they just change it.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:18 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:10 pm
powermrk wrote:
Thanks for all inputs!

From this (regular) buyer’s perspective covers don’t solve the aesthetic problem, they just change it.
I have a ceder top guitar with Ruck style sound ports.
The guitar has a deep base. For me, I have covered
the bass port and left the treble port open. That works for me.
Lattice, doubletops, sound ports and a million variations!
Will it never end?
I hope not...maybe a violin guitar? :roll:

From Bert Eendebak (via ernandez R)
https://www.designofaclassicalguitar.com/home:
It is the well-known fact that in this case the constructional demands are in contradiction to the musical demands. Here it is impossible to prefer one principle above the other. We have to look for an optimum sound within the constraints prescribed by the laws of strength and playability.

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:56 am

oc chuck wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:18 pm
petermc61 wrote:
powermrk wrote:
Thanks for all inputs!

I have a ceder top guitar with Ruck style sound ports.
The guitar has a deep base. For me, I have covered
the bass port and left the treble port open. That works for me.
Lattice, doubletops, sound ports and a million variations!
Will it never end?
I hope not...maybe a violin guitar? :roll:

Yes, there is sort of violin guitars...................
http://www.koehnguitars.com/modell_custom.html :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by powermrk on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 am

petermc61 wrote:
powermrk wrote:
Thanks for all inputs!

I think you mean something like this: http://www.koehnguitars.com/EN/options.html
It's like having a scar on the side.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:10 am

jaan wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:53 pm
ben etow wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:26 pm
The main con to me is that you hear your guitar even more differently than the audience does. A major con to me.
This surely must depend on the guitar. Mine sounds pretty much the same from behind or in front, though no guitar sounds the same in both places. Your point is that the soundport can make this more-so. I have never experienced that, personally. On mine, it makes it much less so.

I've played guitars with very rigid backs that send all the sound out and are very loud, but sound weak and diffuse from behind. A guitar like that, for example, would seem to benefit from a soundport.
Hi Jaan,

It may depend on the guitar, but all three makers' guitars (four guitars total, two of the same maker) I tried had the same problem IMO.

The Bernabé range I talked about as uncommunicative have precisely rigid backs.

I am sure I wouldn't add a soundport towoards me at least, in any case. I might agree to add one aiming down if it proves to be useful (which is still not clear to me).

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:13 am

richtm wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:31 pm
You as a player hear just so much better what you do on your guitar.. :merci:
Of course, but you may get even more fooled as to what the audience hears of what you think you are doing.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 pm

I personally don't like sound ports too much. I don't tend to like the sound that I hear from the port. I think it spoils the sound of the guitar (to my ears.. I have no idea about any audience. My cat is unresponsive when I ask her questions).

But, I have only had 1 guitar with a sound port, although I have tried a bunch of others with the same results so far. I would likely buy another again if a good enough guitar came along to interest me.

Regards,
Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:37 pm

I think you mean something like this: http://www.koehnguitars.com/EN/options.html
It's like having a scar on the side.
Yeah, that's what I have to cover my port. I don't mind it; a matter of taste/personal aesthetics. Connor guitars have them. Owners vary on how they use the cover.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”