Beginner guitar Cordoba/Yamaha/Höfner?

Niklas Fred
Student of the online lessons

Beginner guitar Cordoba/Yamaha/Höfner?

Post by Niklas Fred » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:37 am

Hi

I'm still looking into buying my first guitar for classical. I will be ordering the guitar online, so I can't test it out first,which is a big minus. I've narrowed my choices down to the three manufacturers listed on the thread title. I am asking for any advice and comments on what would be my best bet. There's the cheaper models which are:

- Höfner SE I
- Cordoba C5
- Yamaha CG162S

The Cordobas have a truss rod which is nice, and they include a gigbag. The next notch up in price is:

- Höfner HF17
- Cordoba C7
- Yamaha CG182S

Does an extra 100€ bring enough extra to the table to warrant the expense?

Thanks in advance!

Christopher Langley

Re: Beginner guitar Cordoba/Yamaha/Höfner?

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 am

Any of these are okay for a beginner.

Your money will go further in the used market. But at your stage don't worry about it.

You need at least a half a year under your belt before you can even start to really notice the differences in guitar and before you will know if you want to stick with it.

If possible play them all and try to have someone else play them as well. Pick the one that has the best sound and or playability.

All of them should really sound quite good. One might stick out as particularly good or bad when tested so pay close attention.

I'm a first year student and I'm more than happy with my Cordoba CP110. I scored it for 30 bucks off Craigslist.. You can't beat that.

I think the modern equivalent is the C3M. That may be one to add to your list.

The old adage is.. Buy the best guitar you can afford. If your budget is low.. Almost any guitar will honestly work to start. I started on a 15 dollar Silvertone.. Still have it.

If you can afford a better guitar, more expensive generally does equal better (not always, of course).

You will get some more responses and suggestions from people who have probabaly played all of these. I'm just giving general advice.
Cordoba CP110: RC Recital RL50 MT:Battered Flesh

Workin' on: Sor Op. 60 No. 2

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:24 am

I have owned all three brands - I did not like Hofner because of tall frets. This may not bother you and I do not know if the 2 models you mentioned have them.

I play a C7 and think it is a very good guitar so I would naturally recommend either Cordoba. Buy the best you can afford. The Yamaha has pretty good specs I think, and is a safe choice. So C7 or 182S.

Are you OK with either cedar or spruce? At this price level they are quite different from one another, from the player's perspective at least.

Niklas Fred

Post by Niklas Fred » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:06 am

I only have experience from steel strung acoustic guitars, but there I like spruce over mahogany tops (cedar is really not used in steel strings) better because of the brighter sound.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 am

You have specified a mix of tops as well as back/sides. I personally prefer cedar over either mahogany or rosewood, due to what I like to play.

I am not sure what classical pieces you play but you should at least make a choice between cedar or spruce (back/sides do not matter as much). Can you try some cedar and some spruce classicals to see what you like?

Thura2017

Post by Thura2017 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:51 am

I own and play many Yamaha CGs. My opinion is there will be very little or no difference in terms of tonality in CG142 and CG182. Only that CG182 has got ebony fingerboard.
Yamaha CG151c
Yamaha CG171s
Yamaha CG180sca
Yamaha CG192s
Yamaha SLG130nw
Yamaha NCX900R
Yamaha GC22s
Antonio Picado model 60
Amalio Burguet 3A
Cuenca model 40R
Esteve 4st
Takamine C128
L Luthier Sig 08
Tamura P50
Manuel Adalid model 12
Manuel Adalid

DonnyDorsal

Post by DonnyDorsal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:41 am

Both the C5 and C7 Cordobas are excellent values. The value of having an adjustable truss cannot be underestimated; it will help you keep your action at the optimum level. Your best option is a used or refurbished C7, which you should be able to find for around $300 to $350.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:57 pm

DonnyDorsal wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:41 am
Both the C5 and C7 Cordobas are excellent values. The value of having an adjustable truss cannot be underestimated; it will help you keep your action at the optimum level. Your best option is a used or refurbished C7, which you should be able to find for around $300 to $350.
Action is not adjusted by the truss rod. The truss rod is meant to adjust the neck relive (curvature of the fret board). Adjusting the neck relive will change the action, though action is adjusted (on a CG) by modifying (heightening/lowering) the bone insert of the saddle.

Niklas Fred

Post by Niklas Fred » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:09 am

Thanks everybody! I think I'm leaning towards the C5.

Ziyad H.

Post by Ziyad H. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 am

I've been suggested Cordoba guitars generally by the community around here because of the playability, truss rod, price, and gigbag that comes with the guitars. High quality for the money.

eno

Post by eno » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Instead of those listed highly recommended is Takamine C128. It's a beginner/student model and cheap but sounds way better.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”