Fender CN320AS

Mollbarre

Fender CN320AS

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:37 am

I got my first classical guitar 2 years ago, found it too hard on my hands and pretty much stopped playing. However, I recently bought myself a new mandolin, and (in the process) came across a crossover that is much more user friendly. I hadn't heard of a crossover before. So - after much waffling, soul-searching, justifying, and driving hubby batty, I went back and bought it. I'm very happy I did! So much easier for me to manage! Practicing every day that I can fit it in! :D

The original guitar is a Fender CN320AS. It has a solid cedar top, solid rosewood sides, ebony fingerboard. However - according to the luthiers I've talked with, they said it's pretty much impossible for a company to manufacture a solid wood guitar for the MSRP of ~$700. They think the ribs at least, must be laminate. However, the specs say it's solid.

Is it possible that Fender made this model as a loss leader to try to get into the mid-range classical market, now that that's experiencing a revival? The model isn't being made anymore from what I can tell - and I haven't seen a replacement model either. Do I was wondering if they gave up?

The instrument is very nice. Sounds great (I had others play it for me - lovely!). I was planning on selling it, but I think I'll hang onto it instead. If I keep progressing, maybe I'll be able to manage a wider fingerboard yet. Plus, not wanting to sell it for half of what I paid for it, given it's essentially "brand new" still - or, at the very least, "unused". :roll:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: Fender CN320AS

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:46 am

If you keep pursuing classical you will come to prefer the Fender.

The whole wider fretboard being harder to play thing is honestly very likely all in your head.

With classical guitars you want a wide fretboard and a fat neck and higher action than normal guitar. I think less wide fretboards and thinner necks are actually much more challenging to play accurately. You need room.

Whatever you do just keep playing. I do think you'll come to love the Fender with time.
Last edited by Christopher Langley on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cordoba CP110: RC Recital RL50 MT: Flesh

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

double post

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:46 am

Double post
Cordoba CP110: RC Recital RL50 MT: Flesh

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:34 am

The Fender site (Google cache) does say it is all solid. If it was made in the PRC, it could be all solid. I had an all solid Kremona for a little more than that; it was made in Bulgaria.

Seems you have a nice guitar on your hands - but it is indeed strange that an all solid guitar with an ebony fingerboard has a bridge without an inlay...

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:46 am
The whole wider fretboard being harder to play thing is honestly very likely all in your head.
Whatever you do just keep playing. I do think you'll come to love the Fender with time.
Thanks! :D

Sadly, the arthritis- type issues I have really are in my hands. But who knows, maybe things can still stretch out over time.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:48 pm

guitarseller345645 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:34 am
Seems you have a nice guitar on your hands - but it is indeed strange that an all solid guitar with an ebony fingerboard has a bridge without an inlay...
Thanks! :D I'm still very new to guitar jargon and details - what does an inlaid bridge mean? Outside of the obvious?

My crossover guitar bridge - on a more expensive instrument - looks almost the same as the Fender's.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 pm

That is a bridge inlay, for protecting the bridge from (bass) strings - better guitars have them. What crossover guitar do you have?

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:06 am

I see! Thank you for posting the photo!

Well, maybe that's where Fender did it's cost cutting! ;)

I have the Cordoba C10 crossover.

It's rather funny. When I bought the Fender - I had heard of the company of course, but didn't realise that they really weren't big into classical guitars. Wonder if I have the only one on this forum?

When I bought the Cordoba - I had never heard of the company. I was surprised to see how popular they are on this forum! :D
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”