Where can one get a left handed 610mm or 615mm classical guitar, without having to spend thousands of dollars?

markfleener

Where can one get a left handed 610mm or 615mm classical guitar, without having to spend thousands of dollars?

Post by markfleener » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:03 pm

I tried contacting Alhambra guitars to see if they would give me a quote on their cadete size 3 C, but couldn't get an answer.

Also, I'm hoping to get one with a spruce top (I think cedar has to warm/bass a sound), and a two-way truss rod.

powderedtoastman

Re: Where can one get a left handed 610mm or 615mm classical guitar, without having to spend thousands of dollars?

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:27 pm

Unfortunately that is a lot of criteria which are each relatively uncommon so it will be hard or impossible to get an instrument that satisfies all of them.

That said Kenny Hill New World guitars have some short scale models in their lineup so that may be a great place to check. I bet if you sent them an email their staff here in California could have some ideas on whether it would be possible and worth trying to convert one of theirs to lefty.
They might even be able to do it in their shop for you. I think one of my acquaintances from the local guitar society has had them do some modifications to a New World model and it turned out very nice.

simonm

Re: Where can one get a left handed 610mm or 615mm classical guitar, without having to spend thousands of dollars?

Post by simonm » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:07 am

The bulk of factory guitars just need the nut, and possibly the saddle, to be adjusted and the strings reversed to make a left handed guitar out of a right handed guitar. Many may be quite acceptable just by reversing the strings.

As you go up the food chain things may get a bit more complex as fretboard may be lower on the bass side than the treble side and occasionally the bridge is skewed every so slightly to increase compensation on the bass side.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:41 am

A Cordoba 3/4 might fight the bill- just flip the nut and saddle and voilà! Left handed guitar!!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:08 am

You can't flip the nut but a new 'lefty' nut can be made. I think that's the answer, convert a right handed guitar if the fretboard geometry and the bridge allows it. There's certainly a chance they may not. Drop the idea of a two way truss rod, in fact I'd drop the idea of any truss rod as a must have.
Historicalguitars.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 pm

Alternatively, flip the nut, file some new slots (or get a new one and file it as Michael.N. has suggested.)

You may be able to use a higher tension string whose thickness would allow you to file and adapt the existing nut slots after rotating it 180 degrees. Or use the existing nut as a template for the new one in terms of string spacing, or adjust it to your liking.

There isn't much (if any at all) variation to geometry on these guitars. I've played them at Guitar Center helping a friend buy a starter for their son. You could easily make a lefty out of one.

There's also a cheap option from Ortega guitars but I cannot speak to their quality. Many people like to slag off Cordoba guitars, but I'm not one of those people, as I believe they are great value for the money, particularly used or re-furbished, although savings at that price will often be reflected in the lack of retailer guarantees and return policies, and/or minor blemish or technical problems, which can happen with any guitar.

If you do go with Cordoba, keep your idea of the 2 way truss rod (as all Cordoba have one, and removing it, well...)
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

hillguitar

Post by hillguitar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Typically we will replace the nut and saddle with left handed ones on a righty guitar. There is a charge for this. We also include the original nut and saddle for resale if desired.

The old negative saw about truss rods is ignored by those who have found them to be useful. LIke a car jack, no one thinks about them until you need it.

LD
Hill Guitar Company
Ben Lomond, CA 95005

mandarin

Post by mandarin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:26 am

Check out gustavo arias. He has a parlor guitar model..

Regards
Joseph Ramos
Manila, Philippines

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”