Jeronimo Pena Fernandez 1973?

Shadowbelle

Jeronimo Pena Fernandez 1973?

Post by Shadowbelle » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:58 am

This guitar came into the studio where I study. Externally it's in good shape, but has suffered from humidity fluctuations and the braces are loose and vibrate badly. They are going to try to repair it and then sell it. Does anyone have any thoughts about its chances, and whether it's likely to be worth buying? I fell for it in a big way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 Cordoba C10; cedar top, rosewood sides & back, mahogany neck
2011 Washburn WD35S; spruce top, tamo ash sides & back, mahogany neck

brian

Re: Jeronimo Pena Fernandez 1973?

Post by brian » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:51 am

a couple things to consider
about the loose braces. i don't
know if this guitar has the grid
or torres type bracing. he used both.
the grid one might be harder than the
fan type to locate and glue. that said,
i'm sure it can be done.
the other is that i'm pretty sure
he used a long scale length. again, not
an issue if you like playing it.
i've seen a few pictures of his guitars
and he was an obvious master craftsman.
carved headstocks and bridges.
i always wanted to try one, never got
the chance though. hopefully this works
out for you.
if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:38 am

Do a google search on Sherry Brenner guitars...you'll find a great deal of controversy...It's probably an okay guitar but given that it has the Sherry Brenner stamp that won't help it's collector value.

Yours is an oddball...so it could very well be a nice make...Check and see if it has a Spanish heel and not a dovetail. If dovetail then it's certainly Japan. But honestly I think you probably have one of the better models.

Good luck. Loose braces can be fixed easily by good hands, likely it was hide glued. Enjoy it. I think you have an oddball model. You usually don't here of this model and label.

Spanish heel likely made in Spain...dovetail japan. Best of luck. If you like the sound and intend to keep it I would offer something like 500$ but not much higher since there is very bad re-sell value of all these Brenner label guitars, despite asking prices...you just aren't going to get it regardless of e - b a y or reverb prices.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:56 am

The label that you show there looks exactly the same as that of the instrument that was part of the Russell Cleveland Collection, and documented in the book "The Classical Guitar". The year is the same, the marking is the same. The gold sticker is the same and in the same place. There are slight differences in the "7" of the year, which suggest it may not be the identical guitar. GSI still has the one they sold from the Cleveland Collection on their web pages where you can find photos of it too. Probably worth at least $5000.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:04 pm

Is it really worth 5k? Who is going to pay that? Perhaps this is the real deal uniquely rare model, but it still has the brenner label.

Does it have the ebony insert on the neck and the carved headstock? Pretty sure it's a high end guitar, but finding a buyer for 5k...I highly doubt it would fetch that. It's easy for GSI to put prices on things...how often they sell is another story.

I would feel comfortable at 1,000$ knowing after repairs that asking 3,000$ would likely net, 2000$ or less assuming this is the same model from the GSI website.

Reality and Retail...so painful.

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:13 pm

I have a friend who owns several of these. They generally sell for a minimum of $5,000 but I've seen them go upwards from $10,000. Pena is in his 80's and my friend knows him well. He still builds as a hobby (he used to be commercial) and my friend s bought a couple of guitars from him in the past few years. The last one was a flamenco, unfinished and with the bridge not yet glued down. I got to do the finish sanding, french polishing and gluing the bridge. Pena does some interesting carving on the face of the headstock and bridge arms.

I'm not sure what the concern is with Sherry Brener as their add on label usually just means that it was commissioned by and sold through them. I've seen a number of Ramirez 1a's with the same label. I can only guess the concern is forgeries? Pena's carvings might be a little difficult to copy but not impossible I suppose. I do know that Sherry Brener was pretty highly regarded back in 1973.

Here are some photos of the Pena that I finished.
Pena 002.jpg
Pena 004.jpg
Pena 007.jpg
Pena 005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Interesting Michael...looks like a real find then...

My concern was that this might be another Frederico Garcia or Barebero...label...not super high end or collectible. So this is the real deal...a handcrafted individual make...As I understand it there were the Ramirez Brenner guitars that can be a bargain today and a few lesser knowns so this must be one of them...learning something new everyday.

Considering it needs some repairs it might be a good negotiating point if the guitar is desired.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:14 pm

If you, "fell for it in a big way", did that have to do with the appearance or the sound, or both? If sound or both, it would certainly be worth your while to pursue a reasonable price.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Shadowbelle

Post by Shadowbelle » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:02 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I will stop by the studio and get more pictures. However, it looks exactly like the pictures I've seen of JPF guitars on Reverb, Guitar Salon, and other sites, and the detailing is exactly like Michael Lazar's pictures above. (Thanks!)

It's a big guitar, larger than a standard classical and with a wider neck. The head is bent backwards at a greater angle than standard.

Beowulf, I was initially struck by the appearance (gorgeous), but I've handled some beautiful instruments that never stirred a heartbeat. The strings are completely feeble. They won't be replaced until they've repaired the braces. Even so, when the repairer played for me to demonstrate the loose-brace buzzing, the volume was stunning. When I played it, I heard? felt? a deep sweetness in the tone in spite of the strings, and I loved that. I had the same reaction to another used guitar with awful strings, and I was right, so I'm trusting my instinct on this one.

My major concern is whether there might be permanent damage to the wood of the guitar due to its drying out.

I don't know what the selling price is going to be, but they're good people at the studio, and if the guitar is as good as it seems and I can swing a deal, it looks like a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

Shadowbelle

Post by Shadowbelle » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:45 am

20190206_194040.jpg

Shadowbelle

Post by Shadowbelle » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:47 am

Oh, and it has a pickup.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:35 am

If there are no cracks, or signs of lifting at the bridge or along the fret board where it sits on the sound board, and the ends of the frets are not sticking out...the drying out may simply have affected the glue joints of the braces. Ask the repairer to confirm that the rest of the instrument is sound.

Shadowbelle

Post by Shadowbelle » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:05 pm

i don't
or torres type bracing.
Brian, can you tell anything about the type of bracing from the interior shot I took of the pickup? (Or anyone?)

brian

Post by brian » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 pm

Shadowbelle wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:05 pm
i don't
or torres type bracing.
Brian, can you tell anything about the type of bracing from the interior shot I took of the pickup? (Or anyone?)
from this angle, it looks like fans,
but what's interesting are those little
"blocks/braces" in between those center
fans and at the end block.
he would put little pieces of wood in certain grids where he thought necessary.
almost looks like a combo of both, maybe
there's more of the bracing that isn't showing
that might help.
he even carved the back braces! so cool.
i'd get rid of that pick up. could be the reason.
or part of the buzzing.
i think you've got yourself a real diamond
with this guitar. hopefully the scale length
is ok for you. i don't know if this is a long scake
one.
i hope they fix it properly, give you a great
price, and you and this very, (imnsho), cool guitar live happily ever after!!!
if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:41 pm

It is difficult to tell from the photo...but the braces may be parallel?

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”