How do you all think the Cordoba Cadete would compare to an Alhambra 4P Cadete

markfleener

How do you all think the Cordoba Cadete would compare to an Alhambra 4P Cadete

Post by markfleener » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:07 am

Can you help me pick a guitar, assuming Cordoba makes the Cadete available with Spruce top?...

I'm basically looking to compare the Cordoba Cadete to the Alhambra 4P (in cadete size), electronics aside.

I don't want to pay an extra thousand dollars, or whatever it is, just to be able to say that I got my guitar from Spain instead of China. I want to know, specifically, why it cost so much more.

The Cordoba Cadete (615mm) comes with a gigbag, solid Cedar top (I'm seeing if they'll make it available with solid Spruce top, as I really don't like Cedar), and laminated Mahogany back and sides (I'm seeing if they'll consider making it available with laminated Rosewood back and sides, as I think I would prefer that, not sure, I might be wrong on that one). I'm practically willing to wait the rest of the year for them to make a decision on whether or not they'll be willing to make the solid Spruce top available, and I think other people should help by sending them such a suggestion, lol. Anyhow, you can see all the detailed specs in the following link...

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/cadete/

I'm quite torn over my wanting a solid Spruce top, not to mention, the Cordobas come with a 2 way truss rod, and it would probably only cost me a total of $630 ($280+$200+$150)... I'd have to pay the extra $150 to get the saddle groove on the bridge plugged and rerouted to make it left handed (so the intonation will be proper). I'd also have to install some sort of pick-up, maybe this LR Baggs Anthem SL Classical TruMic & Element Pickup System would be a good one, for another $200 ($630 total, includes gigbag, but no actual graphic EQ, like the Alhambra has. That might be another $190.)...

https://www.e - b a y.com/itm/LR-Baggs-Anthe ... 4293!US!-1

Then there's the Alhambra 4P Cadete size (610mm), which is available for lefties, with a solid Spruce top and laminated Rosewood back and sides, although, the dealer quoted me $1,300 (which includes E2 electronics) , not including a hard case or shipping (probably another $150, so probably around $1,450 total, with hard case instead of gigbag). Also, he said that I'd probably have to wait 6 months for them to build it and put down 75% (which makes it so that I can't dispute the charge on my credit card if something goes wrong, waiting 6 months after paying). Alhambra's customer service has been quite questionable, while Cordoba's has been excellent, then again, Alhambra is made in Spain, while Cordoba in made in China, so I'm having a hard time making a decision over all, I guess, ultimately, I want the better guitar. Do you think the Alhambra will definitely be better? Here's more info on the 4P (the Open Pore version is not available in Cadete size)...

http://www.alhambrausa.com/guitars/classical/4/4-p.html

http://www.alhambrausa.com/guitars/acce ... blend.html

https://xguitars.com/products/alhambra- ... cal-guitar

Then there's the Alhambra 9P, which is all solid wood, Spruce top, Rosewood back and sides, costing at least $2,500 for lefties in Cadete size. I heard it is built by more experienced luthiers at the factory. I probably wont be able to afford that and I had a psychic premonition that the solid wood would crack for some reason if I did buy it, but that could be a bunch of nonsense paranoia, lol.

http://www.alhambrausa.com/guitars/clas ... 0/9-p.html

Ultimately, I'm leaning towards the 4P, unless I can afford the 9P (I'm not so sure I'm even good enough to warrant my having a $2,500 guitar), but I wanted to get you guy's opinions between the Cordoba and the 4P in particular. Here's a song I played in 2007 on the Yamaha CS40 (580mm) I've been using for over a decade (ready for an upgrade)...

Thanks!
Last edited by markfleener on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:35 am, edited 9 times in total.

Mollbarre

Re: How do you all think the Cordoba Cadete would compare to an Alhambra 4P Cadete

Post by Mollbarre » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:55 pm

You're comparing a $400 guitar to a $2500 guitar?

If you want a spruce top Cordoba, why not get the C10?
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Beowulf

Re: How do you all think the Cordoba Cadete would compare to an Alhambra 4P Cadete

Post by Beowulf » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Your question will receive more consideration here: viewforum.php?f=107
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

markfleener

Post by markfleener » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Thank you! I thought perhaps I was looking for the opinion of a luthier. I didn't know about that other section (am new here). Thanks.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:25 pm

markfleener wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:28 pm
Thank you! I thought perhaps I was looking for the opinion of a luthier. I didn't know about that other section (am new here). Thanks.
You are most welcome... :mrgreen:

markfleener

Post by markfleener » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:54 pm

How am I supposed to move it? I can't post it again without getting my 2nd post removed as a duplicate.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:52 pm

markfleener wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:54 pm
How am I supposed to move it? I can't post it again without getting my 2nd post removed as a duplicate.
You post is now in the most appropriate forum. A moderator can help if you have an issue in the future.

markfleener

Post by markfleener » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:59 am

Last edited by markfleener on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

markfleener

Post by markfleener » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:27 am

Mollbarre wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:55 pm
You're comparing a $400 guitar to a $2500 guitar?

If you want a spruce top Cordoba, why not get the C10?
No, the $2,500 guitar is basically just wishful thinking (if I'm able to afford it and get it with a Spruce top... I'm actually having a very difficult time getting replies from Alhambra about what they have available. The factory in Spain is currently in the process of talking with their US distributor, as I couldn't seem to get much accurate information out of them or most of the dealers they list, despite weeks of trying).

None of the guitars I mentioned are actually $400 (and the Cordoba would be even more than $630 (maybe another $190) if I tried to find a graphic EQ for it too). I'm basically looking to compare the Cordoba Cadete to the Alhambra 4P (in cadete size), electronics aside.

I'm not getting the Cordoba C10 because it's a full size guitar (not to mention, it's a Cedar top), but thanks for the suggestion. I might consider the C10 Parlor, if they would make it available with Spruce top, but at 630mm, it's a little bit bigger in scale than what I want. That's why I told them that I want them to make the Cadete available with Spruce top (Actually, I also told them that they should make it available with all solid woods too).

Anyhow, I'd like to get replies that focus on why one is better than the other without focusing on price, or that one is from Spain, while the other from China, as these are things I can already tell on my own. I'm looking for actual specific details as to why one would be better than the other, some truly educated replies, as I'm quite ignorant on these things. I don't want to pay an extra thousand dollars, or whatever it is, just to be able to say that I got my guitar from Spain instead of China. I want to know, specifically, why it cost so much more.

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:44 am

I am not sure the answer is why one is better than the other, rather, it concerns making a very specialized guitar outside of the factory's ordinary run. Both Cordoba and Alhambra make short scale guitars but, if I read the thread correctly, you are looking for a left side with electronics. Alhambra does make left side guitars but not, it appears, in a short scale. To take a higher end, regular scale guitar, and convert it to a short scale the factory would need to make a custom guitar and that costs money. Mixing lefty with short scale basically comes down to a very specialized guitar which both factories seem to not make but Alhambra seems to be able to make. Throw in spruce and rosewood and you adding additional variable into the equation that both factories will need to factor in their pricing.

As to dealing with the credit card issue, I suspect you would be dealing with the dealer and not the factory. Did you talk with X-Guitars about the Alhambra? If so, you do not have any worries as they are good people. I think you will do better working with them rather than Alhambra. I suspect most factories prefer people to deal with the distributor.

Given all of the variables you have thrown into the mix, it seems the best solution might be to get a short scale guitar, have it converted to left side and then have after-market electronics installed. Of course, once someone takes a router to the bridge the warranty is likely shot. Likewise, the re-sale ability is likely shot unless there is another person out there wanting a factory guitar in your configuration.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:25 pm

In addition to the reasons that Keith mentioned, another reason why the Cordoba Cadete costs less than the Alhambra 4P is because of the vast number of guitars (ukuleles, etc....) that Cordoba makes and sells, compared to the much smaller number of guitars that Alhambra makes and sells. Cordoba presumably has a larger factory/factories, greater mass-production (which enables them to buy the raw materials in great bulk, which is a cost advantage), all of which enable Cordoba to keep their prices lower. Cordoba's labour costs may also be lower.

Also, I believe that the Alhambra 4P is, overall, a better-quality guitar than the Cordoba Cadete: the 4P is actually towards the mid-range of the Alhambra line-up, it is not their lowest-end guitar (whereas the Cadete is close to the bottom of the range for Cordoba). Thus, the 4P is likely constructed of higher quality woods and parts, with a better visual appearance and built to a somewhat higher standard than the Cordoba Cadete, making it more equivalent to a mid-range Cordoba, which also accounts for the price difference between these two instruments.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:28 pm

You play well. I don't know that going from your current guitar (~$200) to a $300-400 guitar is going to make you much happier. I knew, even though I don't play guitar, that I wanted the best possible sound quality (within reason) from the start, so I wouldn't outgrow the instrument. This comes from my experience playing other instruments.

As far as where it's made - I know (because I asked) that the main reason the Chinese made guitars are so much less expensive is because of labour costs. I suppose material costs may factor in as well, if the larger manufacturers get their raw material for less. Quality control is less an issue, because these factories have 'North American' standards to meet.

My latest purchase (all laminate, mid-priced, steel string parlour guitar) - that I got this week - was made in Indonesia (also from an American company). Workmanship looks really nice.

I do think asking a large manufacturer to 'custom' make you a lower-end guitar might be pointless. But, I suppose it can't hurt to ask, since you never know.

Because I'm still happily (?) in shopping mode, I Googled "3/4 size classical guitar spruce" and got a lot of hits to sort through. Some of them you can rule out immediately because they are not lefties...but others look promising.

BTW - I know you want a smaller scale, but my C10 has a spruce top. There's also the Cordoba Fusion to look at - but the scale might be wrong.

And finally - don't forget - each guitar will sound different, even of the same model, made in the same factory. What you end up with - especially if custom made, might not have the sound you want - and then you likely can't return it. BTW - I wasn't overly concerned with sound quality for my new laminate - since I plan to use it outdoors, or at workshops, etc. In those instances I am focused on learning technique, etc., and less on sound.

Maybe save up a bit longer and get something you really want. There certainly isn't a guitar shortage out there. Also, in your case, in the meantime, I really would start looking for used guitars - you might luck out and get something of a much better quality than if you bought new.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:39 pm

BTW...the Cordoba C9 parlor comes with a spruce top. From what I know, it's not that hard to reverse a guitar, so that might be an affordable option?
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

markfleener

Post by markfleener » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:44 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:39 pm
BTW...the Cordoba C9 parlor comes with a spruce top. From what I know, it's not that hard to reverse a guitar, so that might be an affordable option?
I've already asked Cordoba about the C9 Parlor. It comes with a Cedar top. I've already spoken to a couple luthiers. Having the saddle groove on the bridge plugged and rerouted so that it be left handed (if the guitar is not available for lefties) will be between $150 to $200 (I included that in the notes/price of the initial comment regarding the Cordoba Cadete). Thank you all for the replies.
Last edited by markfleener on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 pm

Well - that's odd - because they mention it on their website...

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/cordoba- ... r-roundup/
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”