Finger style Jazz Guitarist looking for Parlor Classical Guitar

Navdeep_Singh

Finger style Jazz Guitarist looking for Parlor Classical Guitar

Post by Navdeep_Singh » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi,
I usually play solo improvising piano style jazz guitar on arch tops.

I’m looking for a small parlor guitar for sale, used. I understand these go for $5k new, ballpark, with a luthier. What can I find used that is: (1) parlor; (2) has very low action; (3) not factory made and thus lacking resonance because it’s built like a tank with a huge glop of poly finish ?

I don’t know much about luthiers-brands- etc except for the usual suspects (Ramirez, Rodriguez, Giannini, ) and many of that product is often factory made.

How much should I expect to spend on a good parlor guitar, used?
What are the good brands? I know quite a bit on arch tops and jazz boxes, but not much on classical guitars. Thanks
Navdeep

simonm

Re: Finger style Jazz Guitarist looking for Parlor Classical Guitar

Post by simonm » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:35 pm

A good few years ago I was in a shop in Frankfurt/Main. I was impression by the value for money of Cort L900p parlor guitar. There are plenty of review about. At the time it was 499 Euros incl european VAT (sales tax) of approx 20%.

Parlor guitars are generally steel string guitar today. Are you looking for a steel string or a smaller bodied classical guitar (i.e. nylon strings)?

Navdeep_Singh

Post by Navdeep_Singh » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:49 pm

Smaller nylon classical

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:15 pm

Hi Navdeep, good to see you here. What you might be looking for is not a parlor guitar, but an early 19th-century style guitar, the sort which later developed into the steel-strung parlor guitar. I'd look for a Lacote copy, or a Stauffer copy. For those I would look to Scott Tremblay guitars, who sometimes goes under the name of Roseberry guutars. Have a search for his website. Scott is very knowledgeable, and very approachable.

Navdeep_Singh

Post by Navdeep_Singh » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:10 pm

Rob! Nice to see you here! I always enjoyed your videos. Thanks. Were those called “Renaissance Guitfars” ? I get confused.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:31 pm

No. Just 19th-century classical guitars. They are smaller than modern classicals, and narrower, with less varnish. Of course, they would have been strung with gut trebles (which are still available, and which I like to use) but most people use nylon or nylgut.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:03 am

If you’re in the USA check my friend Dave Edwards at Edwards Fine Instruments in Dyke, VA.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”