La Gitana Guitar (Thomas Knatt, Luthier)

architar

La Gitana Guitar (Thomas Knatt, Luthier)

Post by architar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:21 am

Wondering if anyone is familiar with classical guitars built by Thomas Knatt under the La Gitana label. He’s a small builder and a teacher of lutherie from Massachusetts.

Thanks

Keith

Re: La Gitana Guitar (Thomas Knatt, Luthier)

Post by Keith » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:33 am

I recall reading Thomas Knatt taught Al Carruth luthiery. I think that is a definite plus. I met Mr. Knatt several years ago (I am from the Boston) and tried out a flamenco guitar of his and was impressed. I would imagine his classical guitar is in the same ball park. He has to be close to 80 and I am not sure if he is still with us. People, on average, do live longer in MA so it is likely he may be with us. I do not think he has built any guitars recently--at least his website does not give that impression. If there is one floating about and it is a good guitar and you are looking to buy a good guitar I think you will do good with it.

a previous thread that may help

viewtopic.php?t=87157
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

architar

Re: La Gitana Guitar (Thomas Knatt, Luthier)

Post by architar » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:00 am

As a matter of fact Mr. Knatt is still of this earth, and I found (and bought) one of his guitars down south recently (ca. 1974). I'm no expert, but I think it is of very good quality, although it has seen a rough life. I'm in the process of getting it back in shape (top crack repair, some finish work, proper tuners, etc.) . My first classical and a joy.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”