Comparing the Cordoba C9 Parlor to the Alhambra 9P (Señorita size).

markfleener

Comparing the Cordoba C9 Parlor to the Alhambra 9P (Señorita size).

Post by markfleener » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:09 am

After switching the Cordoba to left handed and adding the electronics like the Alhambra would have, the Cordoba would still be $1,000 cheaper. Would you go with China to save the money or do you think Spain would probably be better? Cordoba has a two way truss rod, Alhambra doesn't...

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/c9-parlor/

(Mod edit - commercial link removed) Search for "Cordoba C9 Dolce Parlor 7/8 size - Canadian Cedar Top" at the "sweetwater" site.

One dealer quoted me $2,400 for a left handed Señorita size...
http://www.alhambrausa.com/guitars/clas ... 0/9-p.html

Thank you all in advance for the replies. From what I understand, the price difference is mainly from labor in China being cheaper and Cordoba being a bigger factory with more buying power.

Lovemyguitar

Re: Comparing the Cordoba C9 Parlor to the Alhambra 9P (Señorita size).

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:31 am

markfleener wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:09 am
...Thank you all in advance for the replies. From what I understand, the price difference is mainly from labor in China being cheaper and Cordoba being a bigger factory with more buying power.
That and what I mentioned in the last thread you started -- the Alhambra will likely have higher quality woods/parts and workmanship than the Cordoba, because the Alhmabra 9P is a fairly high-end guitar, compared to the Cordoba, which would be more "intermediate" in range. I have read (on this forum, many times) that Cordoba guitars can sometimes have variable quality, even within the same model, and so while some C9s may be quite fine, others may be less so. The Alhambras will probably be more consistent.

I don't know about the Señorita-sized Alhambra 9P, but the regular 9P is a loud, powerful guitar. I suspect that the Cordoba Parlour guitar would not have the same sonic quality. Of course, since you are going to be amplifying it, that may not be an issue for you.

Whether these differences are worth $1000 to you is something only you can decide. A lot of people around here seem to like their Cordobas, and so I am sure that either of these guitars will be quite nice, and most certainly a large step up from your current instrument.

Oh, and as for truss rods, almost no classical guitars have them. Cordoba is a rare exception.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:28 am

I don't give much credence to the idea that Spain automatically produces better quality instruments than China. Cordoba has an "espana" line of guitars that are made in Spain, but I greatly prefer their "luthier series" made in China.

I haven't played the Alhambra 9P Senorita specifically, but I've played several Alhambra guitars in general from their to top end ones to the low end. I generally find that they have a very warm, thick, almost heavy sound profile. I initially like the warmth, but find it overly so for my taste. If ever I get to try the Senorita in person, I'll post here.

I've played many Cordoba guitars and have played the C9 and C10 parlor. I can easily say they are really great value for the money and are pretty consistent. Considering the price difference between the Senorita and the Parlor, you are definitely getting more guitar for the money. Even if they were equally priced, I would still incline toward the Parlor. When I first tried these guitars I was quite taken aback when I discovered that they still have the voice of a full size guitar, with plenty of volume, while having an attractive tone and good balance. I also prefer the neck shape/thickness and playability of the Cordoba's personally, but your mileage may vary depending on your hand size and such. Be sure to watch Bradford Werner's reviews of the C9/C10 parlor on youtube.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:40 pm

souldier wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:28 am
I don't give much credence to the idea that Spain automatically produces better quality instruments than China...
Neither do I -- and that is not what I said. There are some wonderful instruments made in China (I own one, and undoubtedly, some inferior ones are made in Spain). I was not generalising about countries of origin, I was referring specifically to Alhambra guitars, of which I have played quite a few (several shops in my city carry them), and I owned one, and so I can say from experience that they are built to very high standards. One may not care for the sound of the Alhambras (they are big and bold sounding guitars -- I happen to prefer something more subtle), but one cannot fault their craftsmanship and quality.

My comments about Cordobas were not about them being built in China, but were based on the fact that the OP is comparing guitars that are not necessarily in the same category -- all guitar makers have a range of instruments, and he was comparing slightly lower-end Cordobas to slightly more higher-end Alhambras (which accounts for some of the price difference, since he asked). As for my comments about the quality of Cordobas, those were based mostly on what I have read here about occasional quality-variability across guitars, although I have personally encountered a few really good ones -- a friend of mine owns a lower-end model that sounds superb.

Best wishes to the OP for whatever he chooses, I hope he finds the guitar that's perfect for him!

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:51 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:40 pm
souldier wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:28 am
I don't give much credence to the idea that Spain automatically produces better quality instruments than China...
Neither do I -- and that is not what I said....
Just want to clarify that my post was directed to the OP rather than responding to your post.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:12 pm

souldier wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:51 pm
...Just want to clarify that my post was directed to the OP rather than responding to your post.
No problem, we're all just trying to be clear! All the best!

markfleener

Post by markfleener » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:45 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm almost sold on the Cedar top lol (since the C9 Parlor doesn't come in Spruce anymore). Too bad I can't try these guitars out before buying them.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:34 pm

markfleener wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:45 pm
Thanks everyone! I'm almost sold on the Cedar top lol (since the C9 Parlor doesn't come in Spruce anymore). Too bad I can't try these guitars out before buying them.
If it works out, I hope it's perfect for you! Let us know how you like it. Cheers!

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:49 pm

Sorry you can't get the spruce top, but I think the cedar is just as nice.

I have one of each - like them both.

As for differences in sound quality? Well there are so many other variables that come into play, I wouldn't get too hung up on that.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:31 am

I just had the chance to take a look inside a C10 Parlor (See rough sketch below). It turns out that the bracing is not symmetrical and therefore cannot really be converted into a left handed instrument just by flipping around the nut/saddle. There is a diagonal harmonic bar on the treble side but none on the bass side.. I'm assuming they put the harmonic bar on the treble side to boost treble response since Cordoba's tend to have a dominating bass in general. If you reverse this, the guitar may be really out of balance. **I just saw that they sell a lefty version, though I've never seen this in person. They are probably quite rare.

I'm curious as to how long you have been playing lefty? If not long, it would actually make a lot more sense even for left handed people to play the guitar as if they were right handed... since both hands are doing complex tasks, they wouldn't really know the difference. It would also make it 100x easier purchasing an appropriate instrument and reselling them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”