Wanted Hauser Copy

RobMacKillop

Re: Wanted Hauser Copy

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:23 pm

Sorry to be blunt, but you did not specify that in your original post.

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:40 pm

No I didn’t but now hopefully it’s clear

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:46 pm

Portland Bill wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:40 pm
Well, it isn't totally clear. You still haven't provided a price range -- what do you consider to be "a decent price"? Without that rather essential bit of information, all we can do is toss around random names. If you want a used instrument that is immediately available, say that, too, because that isn't clear, either. We're trying to help, but you've not given us much to go on.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:09 am

Portland Bill wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:12 pm
Looking to buy a Hauser Copy
Casa Montalvo has a Hauser copy, all solid handmade in Mexico. I believe they are 1800$ plus shipping new and can be found closer to 1000$ used.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:31 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:46 pm
Portland Bill wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:40 pm
Well, it isn't totally clear. You still haven't provided a price range -- what do you consider to be "a decent price"? Without that rather essential bit of information, all we can do is toss around random names. If you want a used instrument that is immediately available, say that, too, because that isn't clear, either. We're trying to help, but you've not given us much to go on.
It’s plainly obvious in some of my posts what I am looking for, the iterest expressed in the Ambridge and my comments re a Southwell surely indicate that, and a good price is what I’m prepared to pay for one, so basically if someone has something available along the lines of the 2 makers mentioned and are looking to sell and we can agree a fair price then a purchase I will make.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 am

Gerhard Oldiges is well known for his excellent Hauser copy. I played Jan Depreter's Oldiges Hauser which blew my socks off. And also Fritz Ober's Torres/Hauser model is sonically very close to Hauser I.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

DanS

Post by DanS » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:39 pm

I played a lovely Southwell Hauser at the London Guitar Studio about a year ago - they were asking north of £5000 then, if you're looking for guidance on price. Their website currently has conflicting information about the availability of a Southwell concert model for £3500: might be worth checking with them?

Kent guitar classics have a copy of the 1937 Hauser by Marco Bortolozzo, which (if I recall correctly) received favourable comments in another recent thread discussing the Southwell/Ambridge/Lowe hauser models.

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:55 pm

DanS wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:39 pm
I played a lovely Southwell Hauser at the London Guitar Studio about a year ago - they were asking north of £5000 then, if you're looking for guidance on price. Their website currently has conflicting information about the availability of a Southwell concert model for £3500: might be worth checking with them?

Kent guitar classics have a copy of the 1937 Hauser by Marco Bortolozzo, which (if I recall correctly) received favourable comments in another recent thread discussing the Southwell/Ambridge/Lowe hauser models.
I actually purchased that Southwell for a lot less than that from them, it was a fantastic instrument but the soundboard had sunk resulting in a very high saddle which was buckling forward, so unfortunately it had to go back.

DanS

Post by DanS » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:29 pm

Yes I think they mentioned the one I played had come from a collector in France (presumably before your purchase) and seemed in immaculate condition. I have to say the top/saddle seemed fine to me (although I'm amazed/terrified by how thin the tops are on some of the luthier built hauser replicas) what tension strings were you using?

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:41 pm

I don’t know what strings were on it as it was returned the day after receipt, there was a large dish in front of the bridge and arching to the rear of it, as I recall 7cm of saddle showing over the bridge, it seemed to me that the forward buckling of the saddle was making the problem worse.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:56 pm

If my memory serves me correctly, Portland Bill is no newb of the CG scene. He has sold many guitars on this forum and knows exactly what he's after. :wink:

DanS

Post by DanS » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:58 pm

I hope that's 0.7cm! But yes, certainly fixed by the time I played it (assuming it's the same one!) Good luck with the search - I certainly enjoyed my time playing that guitar: definitely the pick of the instruments they had in at the time.

Have you tried any instruments from Rohan Lowe or Kevin Aram?

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:09 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:56 pm
If my memory serves me correctly, Portland Bill is no newb of the CG scene. He has sold many guitars on this forum and knows exactly what he's after. :wink:
Your memory serves you well :D

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:13 pm

DanS wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:58 pm
I hope that's 0.7cm! But yes, certainly fixed by the time I played it (assuming it's the same one!) Good luck with the search - I certainly enjoyed my time playing that guitar: definitely the pick of the instruments they had in at the time.

Have you tried any instruments from Rohan Lowe or Kevin Aram?
I owned a very nice Aram that I sold on here which I now regret selling especially at the price it went for, a lovely guitar, no I haven’t had experience of a Rohan Love, that Southwell if it was the same one had the deepest bass of any guitar that I have ever played and by quite a margin, I was gutted that it had a problem.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:40 pm

The problem the Southwell had is likely why it sounded so good and had that awesome bass. I have a guitar like that, not by him. Thin top, big dish in front of the bridge, tall saddle, awesome bass, has been stable for many years. You take your chances....

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”