Wanted Hauser Copy

Portland Bill

Re: Wanted Hauser Copy

Post by Portland Bill » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:14 pm

Dan by all accounts that actual Southwell belonged to Bream, I can’t deduct anything from those photos but the saddle looks fine.
Last edited by Portland Bill on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:37 pm

By Friday I will most likely have a Hauser copy built by Stephen Frith in my hands. Heard very good things about his guitars and the price was more than fair. Especially considering his long experience. He built professionally since 1979.

Kind regards from Sweden
/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

spruceman33

Post by spruceman33 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Why not also look for a Hill Hauser '37? I may be slightly biased but they're great guitars, no longer made.
2008 Kenny Hill Hauser '37 SP/IN
1992 Richard Howell CD/IN

DanS

Post by DanS » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:54 pm

Portland Bill wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:14 pm
Dan by all accounts that actual Southwell belonged to Bream, I can’t deduct anything from those photos but the saddle looks fine.
Looking at the strings vs the shadow they cast (in the first and second pictures in particular - you might need to open them in a new tab and zoom in to see the detail) I think I can detect a hint of the problem you described in the guitar you returned (i.e. perhaps they all look like this?)

EDIT: Have you seen the Brian Cohen Hauser (1940 copy, ex Bream) on the auction site?

Monteverde

Post by Monteverde » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:09 pm

For those to whom it's of interest, there is a Simon Ambridge 2009 Hauser copy currently for sale. It is Ambridge #204, originally sold by Miles Roberts at Kent Guitar Classics; you can see photos of the guitar and hear a recording of it there. I have been told that it is one of the first two Hauser copies Simon Ambridge made after having studied the 1940 Hauser, and it is my understanding that Julian Bream may have tried it before deciding to purchase one of Simon's copies.

The guitar is at Trilogy Guitars near Los Angeles, California, and the contact person at Trilogy is John Silva. His phone number and more photos of the guitar are on the Trilogy website.

I've been thinking of purchasing it myself, but I have decided against it. I've spoken with John Silva several times about the guitar, and he is very helpful and easy to work with. If you do speak with him, please let him know I referred you. I have no connection to Trilogy, John Silva, or the seller of this guitar, nor will I receive any compensation for any referral. It is simply in thanks for his help to me.

Best regards,
Jon

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:21 pm

Played a fairly recent Simon Ambridge Hauser copy that was phenomenal! I looked up the one Trilogy has and it’s got even more upgrades than the one I played and based on the audio example a superb instrument.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:57 pm

Monteverde wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:09 pm
For those to whom it's of interest, there is a Simon Ambridge 2009 Hauser copy currently for sale. It is Ambridge #204, originally sold by Miles Roberts at Kent Guitar Classics; you can see photos of the guitar and hear a recording of it there. I have been told that it is one of the first two Hauser copies Simon Ambridge made after having studied the 1940 Hauser, and it is my understanding that Julian Bream may have tried it before deciding to purchase one of Simon's copies.
I actually owned this guitar for a shot period of time. It was great.

/Jon

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:51 pm

Monteverde wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:09 pm

The guitar is at Trilogy Guitars near Los Angeles, California, and the contact person at Trilogy is John Silva. His phone number and more photos of the guitar are on the Trilogy website.

I've been thinking of purchasing it myself, but I have decided against it. I've spoken with John Silva several times about the guitar, and he is very helpful and easy to work with. If you do speak with him, please let him know I referred you. I have no connection to Trilogy, John Silva, or the seller of this guitar, nor will I receive any compensation for any referral. It is simply in thanks for his help to me.

Best regards,
Jon
+1 for John Silva. His stuff is not exactly inexpensive, but he's an honest dealer, and you'll get what you pay for.

DanS

Post by DanS » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:53 am

rinneby wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:57 pm

/Jon

Are you able to comment on the differences between the Ambridge and the Frith I see you have now? Miles at Kent Guitar Classics always describes the Frith guitars as 'hauseresque' and It would be interesting to hear from someone who has played a bench copy too!

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:28 pm

DanS wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:53 am
rinneby wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:57 pm

/Jon

Are you able to comment on the differences between the Ambridge and the Frith I see you have now? Miles at Kent Guitar Classics always describes the Frith guitars as 'hauseresque' and It would be interesting to hear from someone who has played a bench copy too!
PM sent, it's better that way.

/J

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”