Any info on Jose Morales guitars?

Dan Seufert

Any info on Jose Morales guitars?

Post by Dan Seufert » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:32 am

Hi,

I’m considering an afternoon road trip to check out a 1974 Jose Morales guitar. Apparently, he was a police officer in Grenada turned luthier after retiring. He didn’t make very many instruments, but I was wondering if anybody has played one. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks, Dan

richtm

Re: Any info on Jose Morales guitars?

Post by richtm » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:47 am

I would also love to understand more About this builder. It might be that I can try out one guitar. If so, I 'll come back and say something About the guitar...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

richtm

Post by richtm » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:53 pm

I today tried out a Jose Morales from around 1977, cedar top, rosewood back and sides, cedrella nack.
The craftsmanship was not really great, the head was unsymmetric, the holes for the mechanic were different, the binding could be better etc. Everything on the guitar was Hand made.
The top of the guitar was still okay, while the back showed one ripple in the direction of the grain. I assumed that there might be a crack below, but the owner, an experienced guitar builder adviced me not to repair anything on this guitar. The top had a 5 fan bracing below. The rosette was fine and hand made. He told me that this is the best sounding guitar in his collection. And I must admit that the guitar sounded pretty good. Unfortunately I had no comparing guitar with me, but for a Little bit less money I might have taken it. And unfortunatel I don't know how to post a Sound sample here, because I took a recording with my iPhone 6.
Regards from Hamburg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

richtm

Post by richtm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Here are some pictures to the guitar I reviewed, apologize for the poor quality:
morales_1.jpg
morales_2.jpg
morales_3.jpg
morales_4.jpg
morales_5.jpg
I think it is in the original case. It's not dated or signed by the luthier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”