Considering a Kazuo Sato from the 80s

quixilver
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:22 am
Location: Indonesia / Singapore

Considering a Kazuo Sato from the 80s

Post by quixilver » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:55 am

Hello Delcampers!

Anyone with an experience of owning or playing a guitar made by Kazuo Sato in the old days (pre 90s) where his guitars were based on traditional fan-braced design?

Thank you!

User avatar
muirtan
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Considering a Kazuo Sato from the 80s

Post by muirtan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:12 am

What did you want to know? James Boyd owns one built in 1989. He mentions it here http://www.musicweb-international.com/c ... _Sleep.htm It's a beautiful sounding guitar I've not played it but heard it frequently.

quixilver
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:22 am
Location: Indonesia / Singapore

Re: Considering a Kazuo Sato from the 80s

Post by quixilver » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 am

muirtan wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:12 am
What did you want to know? James Boyd owns one built in 1989. He mentions it here http://www.musicweb-international.com/c ... _Sleep.htm It's a beautiful sounding guitar I've not played it but heard it frequently.
Was trying to understand and search for some information or feedback of Sato's guitars from the 80 - 90s, as compared to his recent (more modern) ones in terms of sound/tone quality, workmanship, playability and the overall character. Simply because I have not had a chance to play any of his guitar and am considering to buy a second hand one, the guitar looks undoubtedly amazing and very promising.

I knew he used to work with Paul Fischer at David Rubio's workshop back in the 70s, and aesthetically his guitars resemble the same root as Fischer's and Rubio's - i.e. shape of plantilla, size and the leaf/flower shaped rosette. That said, do they sound similar and hold the same level of quality?

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Considering a Kazuo Sato from the 80s

Post by rinneby » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 am

quixilver wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:55 am
Hello Delcampers!

Anyone with an experience of owning or playing a guitar made by Kazuo Sato in the old days (pre 90s) where his guitars were based on traditional fan-braced design?

Thank you!
Sato's guitars from the 80s are usually darker sounding than his new ones. That's nice if you ask me.

/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
1999 - Lorenzo Frignani
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

quixilver
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:22 am
Location: Indonesia / Singapore

Re: Considering a Kazuo Sato from the 80s

Post by quixilver » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks Jon!

Found one video on YouTube, a Kazuo Sato 1987 beautifully played by Miguel Angel Lazaro and it sounds very pleasing. A video recording does not speak 100% accurate but one can tell that the guitar has more traditional sound as opposed to Sato's recent guitars.

User avatar
souldier
Posts: 1295
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:45 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Considering a Kazuo Sato from the 80s

Post by souldier » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:13 pm

quixilver wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 am
...Simply because I have not had a chance to play any of his guitar and am considering to buy a second hand one, the guitar looks undoubtedly amazing and very promising.
If you haven't played any of his guitars, it's quite difficult to know whether you will really like the one that you are considering to buy. I have heard recordings of guitars then went to play them in person, only to discover how radically different they sounded. I've also discovered through this forum how unreliable and subjective people's opinions can be when reviewing instruments. In the end you'll need to decide if the risk is worth it.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

richard3
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: Baden-Baden (Germany); Denia (Alicante)

Re: Considering a Kazuo Sato from the 80s

Post by richard3 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:30 pm

quixilver wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:28 am
Thanks Jon!

Found one video on YouTube, a Kazuo Sato 1987 beautifully played by Miguel Angel Lazaro and it sounds very pleasing. A video recording does not speak 100% accurate but one can tell that the guitar has more traditional sound as opposed to Sato's recent guitars.
This guitar has been mine, the sound in the video is true, it was more in the traditional style, more than Satos newer models. I liked it but sold it when I got my Romanillos.

quixilver
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:22 am
Location: Indonesia / Singapore

Re: Considering a Kazuo Sato from the 80s

Post by quixilver » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:07 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, folks!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”