Guitar for around $1500

Rafton12

Guitar for around $1500

Post by Rafton12 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:24 pm

Hello all! I posted this in the wrong section of this forum so I was told to relocate my query here. I'll just copy and paste:

"I'm looking into buying a new classical guitar as I feel like I have come far in my journey. I live close to London and almost every guitar shop here seems to only be stocked with Alhambras! I know you guys always say "try the guitar out for yourself" but i dont think its applicable in my case. I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a good guitar around $1500.

Right now I'm torn between Cordoba C10, Esteve Modello 9C/B and Yamaha gc series.

I literally cannot try any of these because the nearest showroom is in York! I imagine many of you reading this are professionals who can shed some light on the situation.

I can go down the used guitar route but i feel like my lack of experience may lead me astray. "

Podobin

Re: Guitar for around $1500

Post by Podobin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:09 am

Used Picado, Used Esteve, Juan Hernandez, or contact Miles Roberts at Kent Guitar Classics, down in Sevenoaks, south from Bromley.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:36 am

Hill New World Player.
Period
Ron

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:39 am

the author of this thread says that he lives in London (GB/Europe). I am not sure if Kenny Hilll guitars are popular/available in Europe. Looking at the question from the availability point of view I believe that the advice about Picado may be sensible; if the Picado guitar would be bought directly from their small workshop (Berga, Spain) or even from Casa Luthier shop in Barcelona the price may be really attractive. The same would be I guess in case of another Spanish workshops - Camps or similar,
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:37 pm

Agree, Camps, Picado, Esteve in EU or GB.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Whenever I see $1500 or so, I think that's so expensive! Apparently I forgot that that's what I paid for mine! LOL...

I love the sound of my Cordoba. No regrets.

...and, I've since gotten less expensive instruments too. They're fine, totally playable - but not of the same quality as the Cordoba.

Happy hunting!
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:32 pm

In Europe Hanika guitars are a good option. A few UK retailers are offering them. In my view the 52, 54 and Natural models provide the best value in the price region you are asking.

If you are in native European woods, consider a 56 AF-N.

I tried 54 and Natural instruments and bought a Natural PC.

Expect hassle with importing (ordering) any guitar (exception are native wood instruments) from Europe after Brexit. Keywords: CITES and rosewood.

Rafton12

Post by Rafton12 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Wow! Thank guys, i didn't expect to get replies so soon.

I've taken a look at all suggestions. Seems like new world player guitars are actually the same design as the cordoba c10 luthier guitar as Kenny Hill designed those.As for availability it's fine because guitar salon international has some.
Picado looks really nice!
I am looking at Picado 60 and Camps M-14.
Kent Classics has the juan hernández profesor and concierto in stock so i might go try them out.

I know this may sound dumb, but if i were to get a best brand amongst these spanish names (Esteve, hernandez, burguet, camps, picado and francisco navarro), which one would it be? Or should I take a turn and go for alhambras, asturias or japanese guitars?

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:52 pm

My personal opinion is that you should go for Burguet

Burguet has always been an excellent maker, and I think they compare very favourably with much more expensive models.

His son, Damien now makes excellent guitars, and for the quality, the price is astounding.

I tried a Damien Burguet spruce Vanessa recently which is exactly your price point, and I would happily play it in a concert, and outshines many much expensive and (IMO) overrated luthiers.

I think they have some in the London Guitar studio for you to try, or contact Burguet through the website or Facebook.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:17 pm

I have had two Burguets. I had a 1A for around 8 years. Sold it on, very nice, very deep bass. Quite a heavy guitar.

I also have an estudio (Basically a 3M) I use it for teaching. Just about the best guitar for a grand you will ever find. Lighter build than the 1A, all solid (all Burguets are). Not as loud as the 1A but a remarkable guitar for the money.
Classical guitar teacher

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:23 am

:okok: :okok: Two thumbs up for Burguet.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Rafton12

Post by Rafton12 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:04 pm

Ok so I think I've narrowed down the search to three guitars. Amalio Burguet 2M Cedar (or 2DV but there isn't much information on that), Esteve 9 C/B and the Cordoba C10.
I know that the Cordoba C10 is looked down upon as a Chinese guitar but something just speaks to me about it and it sounds so beautiful.
Could you guys listen to the sample recordings for the C10 vs the burguet 2m here and tell me what you think:
https://www.t h o m a n n.de/gb/cordoba_c10_c ... rch_prv_16
https://www.t h o m a n n.de/gb/burguet_2m_ze ... itarre.htm

they have been recorded with different equipment but could anyone shed light on which one would prove to be better in "real life".

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:27 pm

Find a used Francisco Navarro...hands down.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:30 pm

Rafton12 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:04 pm
I know that the Cordoba C10 is looked down upon as a Chinese guitar but something just speaks to me about it and it sounds so beautiful....
Just because an item was made in China doesn't automatically mean it's inferior.

Just because an item is made in the USA doesn't automatically mean its superior. And so on...

This "myth" that any instrument made in China must be crappy stems from the early years of mass production, when Chinese companies were getting a foothold in the market. Cordoba - an American Company - (and a host of other companies) supervise production in China and Asia. The labour is cheaper (and perhaps taxes and overhead, etc) which is reflected in the price. It doesn't necessarily mean that the workers are unskilled or the materials inferior.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:51 am

You will get an even better guitar second-hand for that price.

However, my recommendation if new, is Burguet.

If you go on the Guitars de Luthier website and look at 1a New Limited Series you will get a guitar that is called "semi professional" but is reality a concert level guitar.

However, converted to £ it is just above your budget, at £1614.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”