Guitar for around $1500

Keith

Re: Guitar for around $1500

Post by Keith » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 am

To the OP: Did you mean you have 1500 US dollars to spend or 1500 pounds? If the former, bummer, you now have only $1,131 to spend (current conversion rate). I suspect, given the size of London, there has to be a boatload of guitar stores with a good selection of classical guitars--both new and used. I think it would be wise for you to try out a few. At your price point you are looking at a factory guitar and the general rule about factory guitars is that there is a wide range of variance in sound quality--most are OK, many are dogs and very few are better than good. Additionally, a guitar recorded can be made to sound a lot better than live--hence the importance of trying it out. Finally, different guitars have different feels/playability and this has to be part of the equation.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:30 am

The Burguets are a bit different and they do assure you that all of their guitars right down to the thousand pound models are built by hand, by them, in the actual Burguet premises.
Classical guitar teacher

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Rafton12 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:24 pm
I live close to London and almost every guitar shop here seems to only be stocked with Alhambras! I know you guys always say "try the guitar out for yourself" but i dont think its applicable in my case. I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a good guitar around $1500.

Right now I'm torn between Cordoba C10, Esteve Modello 9C/B and Yamaha gc series.
You have to go to LGS or Ivor Mairants to see more stuff including Burguet. Other shops like those on Denmark St don't really cater for CG. As you say they will have loads of Alhambras, maybe a Cordoba GK, or a Hanika crossover but not the models that are regularly discussed here.

There are some who feel that Cordoba guitars are inconsistent. I've seen comments of a C5 rivalling a C10, or a C9 sounding better than all up to C12. So it seems more necessary to try a wide range of them in person or you can take pot luck ordering online. The other thing is, it is an american company so Cordoba makes sense for the US market whereas Europeans are paying a premium for them. To get value from chinese made guitars there are actual chinese brands such as Martinez, Milestones (Jellinghaus).

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:25 pm

Hye Rafton, sounds like you're having fun there.
Although when it's your hard earned money 1500 does seem like a lot but in the classical world, not so much. I don't mean to be cruel but just pointing out that there are so many options your head will be left spinning. Instead of reading ads and other guys comments about various guitars you'd be better off putting yourself in the hands of a dealer ( that reads as creepy :wink: ). Just tell them what you like, what you play now, repertoire-wise. Don't worry that you're not good enough, this puts many folks off going to dealers, but they have probs seen and heard it all. London Guitar Studio comes to mind but I'd point you at Miles Roberts at Kent Guitar Classicals in Sevenoaks (he'll even collect you from the station). You might find he saves you some money by showing you something you hadn't considered. He also does the Stephen Eden Cadenza which is a little bit more than you have in mind but personally, I'd say it's more guitar then you'll get otherwise. He also has the Paco Castillo and Hernandez guitars there and more besides.
Remember that the Cordobas and such aren't for everyone although they'd have you believe that they are. The trick is to find something that YOU like and not buy a guitar online only to find that you're not keen on the sound.
Best of luck.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Rafton12

Post by Rafton12 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:03 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:25 pm
but I'd point you at Miles Roberts at Kent Guitar Classicals in Sevenoaks
Hello thanks for your suggestions. Quite a lot of people have told me to go to him but wouldn't he just try point me in the direction of his own stock?

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:07 pm

Rafton12 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:03 pm
Guitar-ded wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:25 pm
but I'd point you at Miles Roberts at Kent Guitar Classicals in Sevenoaks
Hello thanks for your suggestions. Quite a lot of people have told me to go to him but wouldn't he just try point me in the direction of his own stock?
Obviously, but he does have quite a lot to choose from.

You know my recommendations by now - if you can save another £500 or so, I can put you in touch with somebody who will make you a great guitar from scratch.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”