1955 Fleta

theknowle
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK

1955 Fleta

Post by theknowle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:47 pm

There is a 1955 Fleta on the Brompton's auction site that used to belong to Christopher Nupen of early radio documentary fame.
I wonder if anyone will dare to bid 'blind'. I think I almost would .... pity I had to buy that new car last month!

User avatar
Adrian Allan
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am

Re: 1955 Fleta

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:58 pm

What do you think at a guess, £40-50K ?
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

User avatar
guitarrista
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: 1955 Fleta

Post by guitarrista » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Current bid is £12,000, estimated value £15-18K. Seems seller had a reserve at around £12,000, which was just met.

However, it is frustrating to read stuff like this: :lol:

frustero.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

larryguitar
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: New York City

Re: 1955 Fleta

Post by larryguitar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:14 pm

theknowle wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:47 pm
There is a 1955 Fleta on the Brompton's auction site that used to belong to Christopher Nupen of early radio documentary fame.
I wonder if anyone will dare to bid 'blind'. I think I almost would .... pity I had to buy that new car last month!
Sell the car, buy the guitar.

When I was studying the violin, many decades ago, one of my teacher's students was considering the purchase of a fine Italian violin. Well, he decided to get a new car instead and was on his way to the BMW dealer to buy the car when he turned around, drove to the violin dealer, and bought the violin.

It was the best thing he could have done. The BMW is crushed into a little pile of metal now, most likely, while the violin probably went up at least three or four times what he paid. I bought a fine French violin from 1900 at about the same time and eventually sold it for double what I paid.

Of course, nobody can predict the future price of an instrument.
Last edited by larryguitar on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Adrian Allan
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am

Re: 1955 Fleta

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Surprised it is so low

One of the most sought after guitars in the world, whereas even a second hand Smallman is around 20k.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Bill
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Re: 1955 Fleta

Post by Bill » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:30 pm

I expect it to bring well north of 50k.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6695
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: 1955 Fleta

Post by petermc61 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:26 am

Bill wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:30 pm
I expect it to bring well north of 50k.
Given it is being auctioned in GBP I rather doubt it. If you mean USD I’d suggest about $35k.

larryguitar
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: New York City

Re: 1955 Fleta

Post by larryguitar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:39 am

Do interested buyers get to play it at the public viewing? It’s a lot of cash to put down on a blind purchase.

I actually played a Fleta recently and it was a terrible disappointment. The trebles were dead, the basses were nice. Supposedly, the strings were new. It was from the 1960s. Was it played out? Could it be fixed? I’m not a virtuoso but I could tell that it didn’t respond even when pushed hard.

Portland Bill
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Water Orton UK

Re: 1955 Fleta

Post by Portland Bill » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:49 am

I played a 67 with a spruce top, extremely ordinary and I think the dealer selling it thought so too

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6695
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: 1955 Fleta

Post by petermc61 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 am

larryguitar wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:39 am
Do interested buyers get to play it at the public viewing? It’s a lot of cash to put down on a blind purchase.

I actually played a Fleta recently and it was a terrible disappointment. The trebles were dead, the basses were nice. Supposedly, the strings were new. It was from the 1960s. Was it played out? Could it be fixed? I’m not a virtuoso but I could tell that it didn’t respond even when pushed hard.
Having owned a lovely ‘65 spruce Fleta (ex Aaron Shearer) you don’t need to play a Fleta hard. You need to play it HARD or it just won’t open up. Fantastic guitars if you do. I ended up selling it because my right hand just wasn’t strong enough and it was too much hard work for me. Maybe I am just lazy.

larryguitar
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: New York City

Re: 1955 Fleta

Post by larryguitar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:28 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 am
larryguitar wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:39 am
Do interested buyers get to play it at the public viewing? It’s a lot of cash to put down on a blind purchase.

I actually played a Fleta recently and it was a terrible disappointment. The trebles were dead, the basses were nice. Supposedly, the strings were new. It was from the 1960s. Was it played out? Could it be fixed? I’m not a virtuoso but I could tell that it didn’t respond even when pushed hard.
Having owned a lovely ‘65 spruce Fleta (ex Aaron Shearer) you don’t need to play a Fleta hard. You need to play it HARD or it just won’t open up. Fantastic guitars if you do. I ended up selling it because my right hand just wasn’t strong enough and it was too much hard work for me. Maybe I am just lazy.
I have natural fingernails and not steel claws. :-) Even a far more advanced player who played it said that the guitar just didn’t vibrate right.

All I know is that you have excellent taste in guitars, Peter.

theknowle
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK

Re: 1955 Fleta

Post by theknowle » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:12 pm

Information on this lot has been 'withdrawn' at the request of the owner, so don't know whether it's been sold or not!

Folledanza
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:02 am

Re: 1955 Fleta

Post by Folledanza » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:59 pm

I think the guitar has been sold for at least over 15000 pounds (+20% fees= 18000GBP). This is the last bid I saw, I was unable to follow the the auction until the end...

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”