Herman Hauser Guitar care

dta721

Re: Herman Hauser Guitar care

Post by dta721 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:48 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:02 pm
I can confirm that a Hauser III needs to be in an environment with RH of 60%. I left my Hauser III in a hermetically sealed case with constant RH of 50%, and after a month the ends of fret wires were sticking out. The RH at Reisbach must be pretty high all year round.
According to the rationales from this luthier, your Hauser III was most definitely built in a higher RH luthier shop :

"The humidity level in a guitar workshop or factory is extremely important. It must be measured objectively and continuously with accurate, reliable tools and controlled within a narrow range, especially when assembling bodies. While it is possible for a workshop or factory environment to be too dry, the more typical problem is excessive humidity. If the humidity is too high during assembly, a guitar may suffer great damage when subjected to a North American winter—severe warping, multiple cracks, glue joint failure, etc. In my workshop,humidity is kept within a range of 45% ±2% when assembling bodies and ±3% at other times during construction of instruments."

"If you have a “wet” guitar (one constructed in very high humidity), exposure to 30% humidity could cause serious damage. On the other hand, with a guitar constructed in very low humidity, 70% may be harmful. How do you know if your guitar is a “wet” or a “dry”? When humidity is normal (ca 50%), if you see (feel) fret ends protruding out the fingerboard edge, or the back looks slightly concave, your guitar is for sure a “wet.”

Source: https://www.pjguitar.com/articles/humid ... rs-health/

If anything more to add to RH issue, "a quarter sawn guitar top the swelling (or shrinking from loss of water) across the grain will be much less than a flat sawn guitar top of the same size." (https://theartoflutherie.com/guitar-humidity/)

detwidkul

Post by detwidkul » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:19 am

so it seem humidpak system should handle the job. my current RH is around 40-60 , it is up to 70 sometimes, when I need to clean the floor with mop.
it is ashamed that it will be best to keep it only in the case with the humidpak system while other guitar can be hanged in the cabinet. :(

but I always scare about putting the water inside the guitar. leakage and overhumdify. I will give it a try on the humidpak as mentioned
need to practice more!

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:45 am

Quick question for the OP--I noticed your Hauser's have a construction date of 2018 which suggests they were made for you. Did Hauser know the guitars would be living in Bangkok? I ask this as I just looked on line for the average temp and humidity for Bangkok and the average humidity is 80% each month and average temperature is about 25C each month. If Hauser knew the guitar would be in an environment like that they may have built it in a wet shop.

As to the humidity/temp--I will never complain about heat/humidity here in the USA. Your AC bill has to be outrageous.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:00 pm

60-80% is an extremely high range to serve as a guitar's normal. It would make more sense to me to build a guitar for a 45-60% environment, because this guitar can survive in a high humidity environment anyway, but a guitar designed for 60-80% wouldn't survive anywhere except in countries that have high humidity all year round. Even if you live in a place that has high humidity, a building with air conditioning will still bring the humidity lower than 60%. I'd imagine a Hauser owner would want to take great care of their instrument, which would be a pretty tedious task to constantly keep up with unless you live in a hut in a rainforest or plan to keep it in a sealed case most of the time. It's quite unfortunate for a guitar with such a price tag and pedigree.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:27 pm

souldier wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:00 pm
60-80% is an extremely high range to serve as a guitar's normal. It would make more sense to me to build a guitar for a 45-60% environment, because this guitar can survive in a high humidity environment anyway, but a guitar designed for 60-80% wouldn't survive anywhere except in countries that have high humidity all year round. Even if you live in a place that has high humidity, a building with air conditioning will still bring the humidity lower than 60%. I'd imagine a Hauser owner would want to take great care of their instrument, which would be a pretty tedious task to constantly keep up with unless you live in a hut in a rainforest or plan to keep it in a sealed case most of the time. It's quite unfortunate for a guitar with such a price tag and pedigree.
Not really. In late spring, summer, early fall most households in the US without AC will have RH > 60%. With AC, it's still 50% at the lowest. That covers more than 6 months a year. For the months when the heater is on, the answer is Boveda, 62% Humidipak. During the warm months, you may leave the paks in the case for insurance purpose and will not loose much moisture.
Boveda.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:16 pm

I wonder if the relatively high recommended RH (pardon the pun) also results in a certain tonal character that matches well with the instruments' construction. When my instrument is in higher humidity there may be a slightly rounder and less edgy tone in the e string.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

detwidkul

Post by detwidkul » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:18 am

I bought Kathrin guitar from Trilogy guitar.

THe recommended RH is not only answer by the luthier, the guitar comes with certificate, postcard and nice manual.

The manual recommend also 60-80 RH is suitable for the guitar. So I don't think hauser made custom manual for each of the guitar they make.

In thailand, yes the humid outside is around 60 and can get up to 80 in rainy season. In my house it always around 40-60 most of the time.

ANother good tool I bought is " sensor push " I think it is great little device for measuring the RH and it has its own application where you can set threshold and alerts. the units can link with wifi and displayed individually when you are away as well. I find this little device accuracy is good and the app. is very user friendly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
need to practice more!

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 pm

souldier wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:00 pm
60-80% is an extremely high range to serve as a guitar's normal ....
Plenty of places where there is central heating of some kind in the winter will regularly have indoor humidity below 40% and natural humidity in excess of 80 when it is rainy, foggy or just plain damp, grey and miserable.

The 45% are often quoted here is what factories and some individual makers aim for in the premises as it apparently helps survivability of guitars that get hit with humidity drops caused by winter cold snaps and heating where it can easily go below 30%. It is not a recommendation for how you should keep your guitar. Unless you live in a desert area, I suspect 55%-70% is a better target to aim for. People worry more about humidity today because hygrometers have become commonplace. Unfortunately, what has become commonplace are often extremely unreliable "hygrometer shaped objects".

Apart from industrial hygrometers costing serious money (I guess: 1,000+), good hygrometers that you can calibrate will be accurate to maybe plus/minus 3% in the range that is of interest for guitars and maybe plus/minus 5% over a bit more of the range.

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Well, I've seen some dealers like GSI and Siccas have Hauser III in store with other guitars. How likely is it that they are keeping it at 60-80% humidity?
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Wed May 22, 2019 4:43 pm

What matters with RH is where the guitar was built. Climate conditions in Reisbach are more humid than in Spain for example, so while it may be alright with lesser humidity, shrinkage may be a problem overtime, so I would follow Hermann's suggestion.

James
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu May 23, 2019 3:28 pm

zavaletas wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:43 pm
What matters with RH is where the guitar was built. Climate conditions in Reisbach are more humid than in Spain for example, so while it may be alright with lesser humidity, shrinkage may be a problem overtime, so I would follow Hermann's suggestion.

James
This would depend also on whether the luthier controls the humidity levels in their shop or not. Most luthiers I know will either humidify or dehumidify their shop depending on what time of year it is. It seems they don't do this in the Hauser shop for whatever reason. Personally if my guitar had to be kept in 60-80% RH here in Toronto, Canada, that would be a really difficult task as it is very rare for me to see 60% indoor RH except on very humid summer days. Even when my guitars are humidified in their case the RH sits around the high 50's.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”