Alhambra 4P equivalent in Cordoba or Katoh

beginner_learner

Alhambra 4P equivalent in Cordoba or Katoh

Post by beginner_learner » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:02 am

Hi All,

I'm planning to buy a good classical guitar for my serious study and I was told Alhambra 4P is a good place to start.

Why I don't want an Alhambra 4P:
1 - It does not come with a standard scale length (shorter lengths are available - 580mm, 610mm, 636mm ). Does it matter to me? Yes, I believe it is good to do your practice on a standard full scale guitar. Hope I'm right here. I'm 5feet 5 inches in height and though short, I don't think I 'need' a shorter scale guitar.

In Australia, Cordoba and Kaoth are available in abundance.
I would like to know the model numbers which are a match to Alhambra 4P. Is it Cordoba C7 / C9 / C10 ? Or Katoh MCG 110C/115C ?

I prefer a Cedar top guitar.

Is Alhambra so good that I should not even consider Cordoba and Katoh ?
Your views are much appreciated. Thanks.

PS: There is a variation model of Alhambra 4P (50th Anniversary Iberia Ziricote) which offers a full scale length.

But the basic question remains.
Edit: My concern is more toward which Guitar would last longer without picking any defects (buzzing, etc.).
Last edited by beginner_learner on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lovemyguitar

Re: Alhambra 4P equivalent in Cordoba or Katoh

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:31 am

beginner_learner wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:02 am
...I'm planning to buy a good classical guitar for my serious study and I was told Alhambra 4P is a good place to start....
Who "told" you this? Someone you know and trust? Presumably they had a reason for suggesting this guitar. The 4P is slightly above an entry-level guitar, but the thing is, there are a lot of guitars in that range -- and thus there would be be many choices for you.

Do you play now, and if so, what do you play? If you have a guitar, then finding something "better" would be a good start, whatever that may be.

A good approach would be to determine your budget, and then get the best instrument you can within that budget, regardless of who made it. If you have access to Cordobas and Katohs, try them out if you can, and choose what you like the best!

beginner_learner

Post by beginner_learner » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:55 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:31 am
beginner_learner wrote:
...I'm planning to buy a good classical guitar for my serious study and I was told Alhambra 4P is a good place to start....
Who "told" you this? Someone you know and trust? Presumably they had a reason for suggesting this guitar. The 4P is slightly above an entry-level guitar, but the thing is, there are a lot of guitars in that range -- and thus there would be be many choices for you.

Do you play now, and if so, what do you play? If you have a guitar, then finding something "better" would be a good start, whatever that may be.

A good approach would be to determine your budget, and then get the best instrument you can within that budget, regardless of who made it. If you have access to Cordobas and Katohs, try them out if you can, and choose what you like the best!

Thanks for your reply.
I probably should have phrased my question better. I'm an intermediate level player and I heard Alhambra 4P is a good place to start for intermediate level onward as you get better in your playing.

So my budget is around the Alhambra 4P and I find the models of Cordoba and Katohs mentioned in my original post available.

Perhaps this would make it better to understand my thoughts.
Thanks.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:02 am

If you are an intermediate player have some faith in your ears and go play them :)

Anything with a solid top is gonna sound pretty good.

The Cordoba C9 is comparably priced to the Alhambra but it is all solid construction. To me that would be one I would want to try out. I'm very happy with my cheap Cordoba.

See if Katoh has any all solid models to try. But, try them all. Bring your guitar too.
Why is the bed never made?

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:23 am

I am not sure whether it is sold in Australia, but the Alhambra 4P is available in 650mm, at least in Europe. I played it but didn’t buy it. I always resented a bit not having bought the Alhambra. It was slightly above my budget. I found the improvement in sound quality over an Alhambra 3C to be dramatic. I didn’t test beyond the 4P. I bought another guitar (Salvador Cortez 60CC) in a slightly lower price category.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:33 am

Hello there! The Alhambra 4P IS produced in 650 scale, the fact that you cannot find it has to do with the particular music shop. The rule of thumb is try every guitar you can find at your budget and get the one you like most. It is more probable that you will get arthritis or dementia first (just joking of course) than an Alhambra will develop buzzing. I have luthier made guitars now but I will always lament my Alhambra 3C being crashed by a baggage vehicle at Heathrow airport many years ago!

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:07 am

beginner_learner wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:55 am
Lovemyguitar wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:31 am
beginner_learner wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
I probably should have phrased my question better. I'm an intermediate level player and I heard Alhambra 4P is a good place to start for intermediate level onward as you get better in your playing.

So my budget is around the Alhambra 4P and I find the models of Cordoba and Katohs mentioned in my original post available.

Perhaps this would make it better to understand my thoughts.
Thanks.
Sorry, I over read this when replying before. I think the 4P is just upper beginners level instrument - as was mentioned before. For someone who is what I call "intermediate", I would suggest an entire different budget category. Twice to four times the cost of an Alhambra 4P / Cordoba C7.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:52 am

Hi beginner_learner,

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I've had a Katoh MCG-150C (Cedar) for many years. They are well built guitars that play well and sound good. I handed this onto my son who used it up until he completed his AMEB 5th Grade exam. He now plays my old Alhambra 10C (Spruce Top).

The Katoh MCG-150 cost about $1,650 which is more than an Alhambra 4P. The Katoh MCG-128/130 is very similar to the MCG-150 (solid top and solid rosewood back & sides) but cost about $1,295 which is on par with the Alhambra 4P. Note that the Alhambra 4P doesn't have solid back and sides.

As others have said, if you can try them out for yourself then I would encourage you to at least include Katoh on your short list.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:47 pm

Out of curiosity I would like to ask how much an Alhambra 4P costs in Australia. In Europe you can get it for about 500 Euros, don't know how much AU dollars that is though.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:22 pm

$800 Australian.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:50 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:22 pm
$800 Australian.
Where are you seeing them for $800 AUD? Street prices I've seen are around $1100 - $1200 AUD. Just curious.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:05 am

I suspect that prices will be higher in Australia (compared to Europe), due to the distance from Spain and the resulting shipping costs, duties, etc, that might not exist within EU markets.

In Canada, the 4P sells for about $1000 Canadian (which is about $1060 AUS dollars).

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:01 am

Paul Janssen wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:50 pm
Mollbarre wrote:
$800 Australian.
Where are you seeing them for $800 AUD? Street prices I've seen are around $1100 - $1200 AUD. Just curious.
Sorry. No. Not the guitar price. I was answering the other question.

€500 = $800 Australian.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:50 am

Mollbarre wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:01 am
Paul Janssen wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:50 pm
Mollbarre wrote:
$800 Australian.
Sorry. No. Not the guitar price. I was answering the other question.

€500 = $800 Australian.
My apologies. I misunderstood your reply, but that makes sense now. So back to my comment, street prices is around $1,100 to $1,200 AUD for an Alhambra 4P.

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:16 am

A few observations from someone from up-over (the opposite of down under). The Alhambra 4P, as it has been mentioned, is a "regular sized" guitar so we can eliminate the shorty vs regular portion of the discussion. As I understand it, Alhambras are made in Spain whereas Katoh are made in China. The advantage goes to Katoh given the location of Australia to China as compared to Spain. Shipping costs add a cost to the final product that contributes nothing to do with the quality of the guitar unless of course there is research that spending a week or so on a boat at sea favorably changes the sound. Likewise, the labor costs in China, as I understand, is less than Spain. The assumption is that a Katoh selling for X dollars will probably have better woods and more attention to the construction as compared to Alhambra selling for the same amount. This is an assumption and I could be wrong--the price of the China made guitar could be jacked up and the proceeds go to making another fake island in the Pacific.

The C line Cordobas are, as I understand, are also built in China so there is the "local" advantage as well.

That said, I went to a few websites to check out Katoh guitars as I am not familiar with the brand. I must say they look impressive--especially the Madrid model. The workmanship looks good and the reviews were impressive. It costs more than the other models but I am a believer of spending as much as one can afford.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”