Any advice on Jose Romero or Andres Dominguez guitars?

Pantera

Any advice on Jose Romero or Andres Dominguez guitars?

Post by Pantera » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:06 am

Has anyone had any experience playing a guitar made by Andres Dominguez or Jose Romero? Both are Spanish Luthiers and I am debating on having a handmade flamenco negra. The problem with living in the states is that I don't have the luxury of visiting their shops (at least without a planned vacation).

I am hoping to hear experiences from others.

oc chuck

Re: Any advice on Jose Romero or Andres Dominguez guitars?

Post by oc chuck » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:53 am

You might try calling LaFalseta and discuss guitars with them.
They carry 10 0r 12 makers of flamencos.

Echi

Post by Echi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:47 pm

I know their guitars quite well.
Both are makers above the actual average standard in Spain.
Rafael Riqueni performs habitually with a spruce topped negra made by Andres and maybe you can find a video of him playing it on the tube.
Jose Romero was one of the best luthiers working for Jose Ramirez (same league as Manuel Caceres). He set his own shop in Madrid 20 years ago and now works at very high standard.
His guitars are quite powerful and made in the style of the modern Madrid school: they have perfect finish, firm basses (Conde like) but sweeter trebles.
I know someone selling a like new Blanca of his. Send me a PM if you are interested.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Fri May 03, 2019 2:53 am

I second what Echi writes, as I know both men well, and carry their guitars. They have somewhat different sounds, reflecting differences in their approach to construction. Jose's guitars are a heavier instrument, more in the Ramirez tradition, with a powerful concert sound. Andres, who was a professional flamenco player, builds a lighter guitar that has the qualities one wants for accompanying singers and dancers.
Last edited by zavaletas on Mon May 06, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Fri May 03, 2019 3:56 pm

I visited Jose Romero's shop in Madrid in 2012 and found him to be an amiable and gracious man. My previous guitar teacher owns a cypress/cedar (yes cedar) flamenca with wooden tuning pegs built quite lightly by Jose when he was still with Ramirez. That guitar has a wonderfully clear, bell-like quality in the trebles and a tight, well-balanced, punchy bass. When I mentioned to Jose that that guitar was the motivation for visiting his shop, he replied that it was made when he was still learning and that his current guitars are much better. I can only imagine. Since I was not looking to buy a guitar at that time, and did not have the confidence to pick one up and play it, I can only use my teacher's guitar for reference. Not being familiar with Dominguez' guitars, I can't help with comparisons. Best of luck with your purchase.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”